PDA

View Full Version : Time to pick new headphones

niki.k
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm new here - was just browsing on the internet to get some headphones reviews and thought I'd get some actual opinions.

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones, been relying on my MDR-V700 for about 5-6 years now, and I think it's time to get new ones for traveling and leave the Sony at home (why not try something new if I find better). I have a little attachment to my Sony's... still in good condition as if they only were a year old, been reliable for all these years though. In all honesty I haven't been shopping for headphones ever since I got them, so that's why I feel a bit behind and I need you guys' opinions. Been looking at a few models:
- Pioneer HDJ 2000
- Sennheiser HD 25
- Denon DN-HP1000

and I am also open to suggestions.

I'm looking for headphones the optimal sound fidelity for treble, mid, and bass - but don't need that extra bass though.
I'm not rough on my equipment even though built quality is a plus.
I really don't mind the price, as I have been using the same pair for years, and I am really looking for the better headphones that I'll be happy with for even longer.

It's really just about comfort, clear sound and the quality of the product.

Anyone has any advice or experience with any of these headphones? Anything that would compare is also good for me.

DJNR
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
If you want some really nice DJ headphones that compete with the HDJ 2000 I would check out the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro.

djmickyk
11-30-2012, 04:39 PM
i also had sony MDR-V700 until my dog took a liking to them also..:mad:several pioneer headphones later namely hdj500s and 1000s which all i found really bass heavy compared to the sonys,i decided to bite the bullet and buy a set of hdj 2000s,and can honestly say although they are pretty expensive there worth the extra initial cost,the sound is far superior right through the range,and nice tight controlled bass response,you can turn them way up and they dont pound your ear drums ,the sound is so clean,coming from the sonys i think they would be an easy transition for you,i also know very experienced djs that have hdj 25s and they love them, great headphones with great sound isolation and audio quality,another thing with both these headphones is they both have great build quality it will last alot longer than other dj headphones with weak joints,thats also a very important factor for a working dj that uses there headphones day in day out.

ampnation
11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
One thing I like about the Sennheisers is how every part is user replaceable. I have the same Sony's you have and Shure SRH750Dj's and if and when I upgrade, I'll get the Sennheisers unless I get a chance to try on various pairs and like something else better. I've always been sweet on Sennheiser cans ever since I owned a pair of HD150 back in the late 80's. They aren't DJ headphones but they were so free of distortion and so flat, excellent recordings sounded like you were in the audience.

JFunk
12-01-2012, 02:33 AM
It is definitely a good idea to try a few pairs as everyone's preference is different - All three of the ones you have chosen are great sounding headphones, The HD25 are good because they are light weight, tough and have a nice flat response and the HDJ-2000 have handy features like the mono switch to make one eared monitoring better. Another few worth looking at that I don't think have been mentioned..
The Xone XD53 have great sound quality and a similar hinge system to the V700 so you should feel right at home in them
The Beyerdynamic Custom One - they have an adjustable bass port to tune the sound to your preference and have user replaceable parts
And my current favorite - The Beyerdynamic DT1350 - I used to use the HD25-1 for years but personally I think the sound quality of the DT1350 is much more detailed and they isolate just as well

JackStalk
12-01-2012, 12:14 PM
HDJ-2000s are great, I'm about to purchase another pair. They're comfortable, durable, and look good around your neck. The sound quality is better than any other headphones I've owned, and being able to disconnect the mini-XLR cable from the headphones it great for transporting.

Phil Noize
12-03-2012, 04:00 AM
It is definitely a good idea to try a few pairs as everyone's preference is different - All three of the ones you have chosen are great sounding headphones, The HD25 are good because they are light weight, tough and have a nice flat response and the HDJ-2000 have handy features like the mono switch to make one eared monitoring better. Another few worth looking at that I don't think have been mentioned..
The Xone XD53 have great sound quality and a similar hinge system to the V700 so you should feel right at home in them
The Beyerdynamic Custom One - they have an adjustable bass port to tune the sound to your preference and have user replaceable parts
And my current favorite - The Beyerdynamic DT1350 - I used to use the HD25-1 for years but personally I think the sound quality of the DT1350 is much more detailed and they isolate just as well

I agree with JFunk here. Beyer's DT1350s are great, and they're what I use, but they are expensive.

For the money I think Senn HD-25s are the best choice.

djscrizzle
12-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Sennheiser. On their DJ-specific cans, one cannot beat the isolation. Had a friend yell at me (hits 105 dB) and when they are on and no signal, you can barely hear him yelling at you. Isolation is what I'm after in a set of headphones, thus the HD280 is what I'd be looking at. They also sound rather nice. Not as flat as my SHURE SRH240s are, but flat enough to use as live sound mixing (or loud studio) cans as well. Not a bad product for around a hundo.

akswun
12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I know I'm going to catch some trollheat for this one but word is the 'new' Beats Mixr are supposed to be pretty good. Havn't tried them but according to some reviewers they are far from the Studio,Pro, solo models.

DJNR
12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I know I'm going to catch some trollheat for this one but word is the 'new' Beats Mixr are supposed to be pretty good. Havn't tried them but according to some reviewers they are far from the Studio,Pro, solo models.

Might you be talking about this shit review? (http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/12/05/dj-headphones-battle-royale-5-headphones-reviewed/)

Nicadraus
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Of your 3 choices, I'd definitely go with HD-25II. :tup:

sss18734
12-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Might you be talking about this shit review? (http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/12/05/dj-headphones-battle-royale-5-headphones-reviewed/)

DJNR, have you actually done a thorough listening test with the Mixr's?

DJNR
12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
DJNR, have you actually done a thorough listening test with the Mixr's?

That wasn't my point. My point was that you were basing your judgement on reviews, and I was curious as to which one you were talking about. I already mentioned earlier in this thread that I hadn't heard the mixrs myself, and I would be very surprised if they performed as well as some of the top tier headphones.

sss18734
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
My point was that you were basing your judgement on reviews, and I was curious as to which one you were talking about.

What? That was my first post in this thread.

I haven't heard them either. They seem to get mixed reviews over at head-fi, so I'm curious. The consensus seems to be that they sound cleaner than the Pro's... And that is certainly fine for DJ use.

DJNR
12-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I haven't heard them either. They seem to get mixed reviews over at head-fi, so I'm curious. The consensus seems to be that they sound cleaner than the Pro's... And that is certainly fine for DJ use.

While it may be true they sound cleaner than the Pros, that doesn't necessarily mean they sound better than higher tier headphones for a similar price.

akswun
12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Yes....

Shit review... thats subjective.... I take all reviews with a grain of salt as should everyone else. Beats by Dre have been historically the DJ's most hated headphones. The fact that its backed by numerous celebrities and sports superstars doesn't help their cause either.
But if you go down to the comments on that review you'll see a few 'pleasantly surprised' comments about them. I'm not in no way basing my opinion on what these people have said but I'm willing to give them a listen.
Just like how almost if not more than 80% of the DJF are big on HD25s I'm going to get my own view on them when I try them out and not just go out and drop 200+ on headphones I've never tried. Its one thing to throw out a bunch of headphones ask for opinions but its another thing to use them out in the real world.
Hating is easy, people tend to build huge opinions about things without even trying them out. Its being able to step back and making an informed decision without having the haters sitting on your back that's hard.