PDA

View Full Version : understanding i/o

djjimmyjam
11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
I just ordered a Stasnton djc.4 and it has a 1/8 inch input can I use that inpout to hook up a kaoss pad with vdj? will that work?

Era 7
11-30-2012, 11:49 AM
i'm pretty sure that won't work. at least not the way the kaoss pad is intended to be used. you'd need a signal going into the kaoss pad for it to be modulated. in other words: you would need send-return connections.

Andrew B
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, you need a signal going in and out of an effector for it to work. A send/return is ideal. It can also be hooked up between your outs and your amp/speakers, but you won't be able to effect individual channels.

djscrizzle
12-06-2012, 12:37 AM
You'll for sure need a FX Loop aka Send/return. You'll typically use the outboard effects with a mixer that offers an effects loop, a prime example being a Pioneer DJM600 (i know, an old old mixer that's practically a relic) with its effects knob set to "send/return".

On a live sound mixer/console, you'll usually find in each channel strip below the EQs, a pair of knobs for send & return. On the rear of the mixer, is a jack labeled "insert" for each channel. Your outboard fx module or rack mounted unit's insert cable TRS connection plugs here. If you needed another line level input after you ran out of inputs, you can get a insert cable that's got it's TRS plug wired up for audio to go onto just the ring, of the TRS plug. A VERY handy cable to have in the live sound world.