PDA

View Full Version : R.E.M. Splits up after 31 years..

Ellissentials
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/REM.jpg

Maybe you've heard about this, but for those that haven't.. well here you go. I was quite bummed when I heard it, since they are in my top 3 favorite bands. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15012427

"We have decided to call it a day as a band," the band said. "To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening."

pudOFG5X6uA
Z0GFRcFm-aY
FQ2yXWi0ppw
1hKSYgOGtos
equBWm3oVUU

Ellissentials
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
6PXC574lzHA
jWkMhCLkVOg
xNW809QqF1g
M91_IWYzmYA
mNBKM5so8tQ

Ellissentials
02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Mmmmm some good music in there for sure. I was up till 1am just listening to their catalogue

Badger
02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Yep... I was genuinely saddened (to the point of tears) to hear although this last year, although I'll admit that I hadn't bought any of their studio albums since New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I loved Out of Time, Automatic for the People, and Monster. All three of those, I thought, were exceptional albums - and they all played significant parts in the soundtrack to my college years.

I think my favourite REM track would have to be "Country Feedback; what an immensely haunting and beautiful song. Others that I found particularly awesome were "I Don't Sleep, I Dream," "Drive," "Monty Got A Raw Deal," "Orange Crush," "Nightswimming," and, of course, "Losing My Religion." (I can still remember driving home from a particularly bad breakup in March of 1991, literally screaming the lyrics along with "Losing My Religion" on the radio...)

I had hoped, for many years, to be able to see REM perform live in concert someday. It's a shame that I won't be able to do so (at least not unless they decide to reunite, which I don't see happening anytime soon), but at least they left behind a rich musical legacy, and they were able to end things on their own terms.

:badger:

Ellissentials
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
It's near impossible for me to name a favorite. If I HAD to, it would be "The Great Beyond" ... goosebumps and nearly in tears every.. single ... time.

Also, I can not agree with your post more Badger :tup: I also teared (not fanboy Beetles tear, but nostalgic memories pouring from my soul)

R.E.M was a defining band in my life, and has left an impression that is ever lasting.

Manu
02-07-2012, 06:45 AM
heard about it. Then "everybody hurts" got voted saddest song of all time. Simply Red also called it a day recently, that makes 2 good bands going into retirement, though I'm sure they'll do some gigs from time to time.

RDRCK
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Kim Jong Il died!!!

:P

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
er ... um.. ok? :confused:

DJMC
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Not to sound like a debbie downer here -- but REM is one of the most OVER-RATED BANDS and Michael Stipe is one of the worst singers ever!

As a mobile -- I can't even remember the last time someone requested an REM song!

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
That's all personal preference, and that's your right to have that opinion and thought process. :tup:

Many people that I know, very much enjoy REM :D

Manu
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
You probably don't get a lot of requests for a lot of other bands either. Then as a mobile, I guess you lost count of Lady CaCa and half dollar requests (play that birthday song please dj?), numbers don't make them any better. Matter of taste to be honest.

RDRCK
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
er ... um.. ok? :confused:

I was just posting other stuff that happened while DJF was down. In a smartass manner ;)

Ellissentials
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I was just posting other stuff that happened while DJF was down. In a smartass manner ;)

Ahh I see. :)

tekno_violet
08-01-2012, 06:18 AM
That sucks. I just watched them on TV the other day. They were the guests on Sesame street. They didn't look to please to be on Sesame Street, how can you be depressed on Sesame St?

mix4fix
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Not to sound like a debbie downer here -- but REM is one of the most OVER-RATED BANDS and Michael Stipe is one of the worst singers ever!

:stupid:

mix4fix
08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
ZOaTuvFcfII