PDA

View Full Version : Bar with NS7 and Laptop Setup

hoodoodj
02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
I been asked to DJ at a local bar. The owner went out got NS7 and laptop (not sure on specs). I currently have NS6 and use Itch. My music is stored on a external hard drive.

Will I just be able to bring my hard drive and use the NS7 and their laptop without any issues??

Thanks

Atomisk
02-17-2012, 08:43 AM
1) That bar owner is an idiot
2) Yes, I'm not too familiar with Itch, but my senses tell me you should be good.

mantis
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
1) That bar owner is an idiot
2) Yes, I'm not too familiar with Itch, but my senses tell me you should be good.

not really. this is actually not so unusual. Ive seen at least 3 places here where the owner installed their own laptop/pc with an ns7 and whatever software it came with. Those same places also had cdj setup for those who dont use midi. Some club oners are actually trying to accomodate other djs and even people who has no money to buy their own gear. Thats common in china tho. Many if not most of the local djs dont own their own setups. They always use the club's stuff and can even come to the club to practice. Its a different culture though, clubs here employ djs like fulltime staff and you need to come in during the day to prepare your sets and rehearse.

anyway, to the OP - Ive never used those systems, but im sure you could even just take your own laptop. just go in early to set it all up?

electricsmooth
02-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm sure you can just take your hard drive and itch will detect it but it may take a while analyzing the tracks. What I suggest you do is take your own laptop.

In terms of controls, the NS7 and NS6 layouts are very similair and transitioning should be a non-issue

moyo wilde
02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
separate question; when you use serato with an external does it save a copy of your song to the computers hard drive?

a-mart
02-18-2012, 01:56 AM
would ITCH have to reanalyze the tracks if he plugged his harddrive into the other laptop or is the analysis data stored with the file? I would still bring your own laptop.

electricsmooth
02-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Damn, good question. Now that I think of it, probably not. But just in case...

electricsmooth
02-18-2012, 02:16 AM
separate question; when you use serato with an external does it save a copy of your song to the computers hard drive?

I've played songs of a USB thumb drive and they were not copied on Itch.

Somedj
02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
1) That bar owner is an idiot.

What do you mean?

KLH
02-18-2012, 12:29 PM
I've used ITCH and the NS7. You're looking at a small technical risk of overloading the USB bus if you're using an external hard drive (as opposed to the internal one). You're running the risk when loading a song as doing so may saturate the USB bus with the NS7 control data stream (which is playing the existing song) AND the external hard drive.

I'd recommend doing the following:

* Get ITCH (from Serato.com) immediately
* Use ITCH to analyze ALL of your tracks on the USB drive
* Go to the venue during off hours and test your USB drive (with analyzed tracks) on the setup
* If there's no problem, you're set. If not, copy the music to the internal drive and test again using only the internal drive.

-KLH

djfarcyde
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
I've used ITCH and the NS7. You're looking at a small technical risk of overloading the USB bus if you're using an external hard drive (as opposed to the internal one). You're running the risk when loading a song as doing so may saturate the USB bus with the NS7 control data stream (which is playing the existing song) AND the external hard drive.

I'd recommend doing the following:

* Get ITCH (from Serato.com) immediately
* Use ITCH to analyze ALL of your tracks on the USB drive
* Go to the venue during off hours and test your USB drive (with analyzed tracks) on the setup
* If there's no problem, you're set. If not, copy the music to the internal drive and test again using only the internal drive.

-KLH

He already has an ns6 and itch. It will be fine. My advice: just bring your own laptop and plug n play... Easy as pie.

a-mart
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Agreed with farcyde.

KLH
02-19-2012, 09:09 AM
He already has an ns6 and itch. It will be fine. My advice: just bring your own laptop and plug n play... Easy as pie.
+1.

I really need to read the whole original post.

-KLH

peterwo2e
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
ill take my laptop to be on the safe side, analyzing a hd full of tracks takes a while and the small tweaks you personal notes etc. is on your laptop.

Austin GoGreen
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
It will copy all of your crates over to the PC that's setup in the booth. Your songs will not be copied. But to answer your question, YES, you can simply plug in your external HDD open ITCH and play.... But I wouldn't do that, I would use your own laptop.

djdran
02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
if you use your own laptop it should be fine.

the numark ns7 in a club isn't that bad of an IDEA (but it wouldn't be my #1 choice), as long as the owner tell the DJ that they have the NS7 and to download ITCH they should be fine... its alot cheaper then buying mixer and two turntables/cdj's.

the reason why having a mixer/turntables/cdjs is because its universal, anyone with a different setup can just plug and play.. like if someone had SSL or tracktor or if someone came in with JUST CD's.....