PDA

View Full Version : What are the key-points to tell a potential client so they're more willing to book u?

I love music
02-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Hi everyone

Its good to have the site back.

Heres a question for all the fellow DJ collegues:

When a potential client calls you for the first time (to ask for a price quote or more info), what do you think are the most important facts to tell them about you and your business ? Do you have a "script" that you follow (I did that and it actually helps you to remember certain things that you want the client to know).

I dont think putting down other dj's is good. I wouldnt like it if i called a company and they started trashing their competition.
I just try to focus on what i do, that makes me a quality dj service. But hey i may be wrong, thats why i want everyones opinion.

What are the key-points to tell a potential client so they re more willing to trust you and book you instead of someone else?

LiteTrix
02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
definitely agree with not trashing your competition. Matter a fact in any business you shouldn't be trashing your competition. You shouldn't have put others down to get customers.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Absolutely neeeeeever bring up negative points, especially about different vendors.

I created a 15 question/answer page that has most of my commonly asked questions. I go over that but before hand I have a short questionare that will answer somne questions for me including what they are looking for, the style and/or involvement they want. When they answer this question I then know how to gear my "sales pitch''.

On the desk of my office is my 2 contracts, one for the photo booth one for dj services, 3 sheets that include my package information, my short questionare that will allow me to gage their personality and interests, and a commonly asked question sheet with the answers. I also review the entire contract including the model release option so they actually know what they are signing. I also show/play a short 6 minute video in the background and have some uplighting in the office to display t those that dont know what it is lol. If they book on the spot I then briefly go over the planning software and how to use it. Then schedule a planning meeting thats usually 2-3 months before their wedding date.

I must also say that I am a horrible sales man. I am not good at making someone buy my service, instead I use my organizational skills, personality and honesty to make my sales. So far this Ive had 7 meetings and booked 5 on the spot, while still speaking with brides about other services.

As long as you have a good well organized presentation and you know your services you should be good. Just know your packages and pricing. If you cant recite these to yourself you are not going to do well during the meeting. I use to practice with my wife and I feel Im pretty good at it now.

jazzyj
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm actually friends with 3 of my competitors and we feed off each other - if one is busy and can't do a gig they pass it on to me or vice versa.

I love music
02-17-2012, 07:27 AM
some great info so far.

Same here. I try to be honest, organized and telling my clients the do's and donts of a wedding. Not trashing the competition. thats sounds bad and cheap

and i also send gigs (that i cant do or dont wanna do) to a coupla friends/competitors. We have also joint-ventured gigs.

I love music
02-17-2012, 07:28 AM
If you cant recite these to yourself you are not going to do well during the meeting. I use to practice with my wife and I feel Im pretty good at it now.

my wife has been telling me to do the same :D

jazzyj
02-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Having an LLC seems to be a key issue for SOME clients... not all. But the fact that I'm a legit, verified, state sanctioned company seems to make them feel more secure - probably gives them a relief that they can definitely track me down and sue me if I screw up lol

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm actually friends with 3 of my competitors and we feed off each other - if one is busy and can't do a gig they pass it on to me or vice versa.

Same here we actually trade ideas and work out specific problems together. Actually one of my buddies just bought a Photo Booth semi similiar to mine and we are going to utilize each others booths essentailly giving us a second booth. We also trade work back and forth and use eachother as emergency contacts.

I love music
02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
i checked your site Donnie and the photo booth. Congrats. Very clean set-ups man. Very nice work.

I am the same way. Quality over quantity. Lately i try to do most of the setting-up with my wife. Much better this way, instead of having a roadie who doesnt give a damn about your business and does the minimum because "he has too".

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-17-2012, 07:57 AM
i checked your site Donnie and the photo booth. Congrats. Very clean set-ups man. Very nice work.

I am the same way. Quality over quantity. Lately i try to do most of the setting-up with my wife. Much better this way, instead of having a roadie who doesnt give a damn about your business and does the minimum because "he has too".

Thank You! I have to update it with the new setups, Im kinda bad when it comes to the site...

My assistant is my wife and my mc is her brother. I love that I dont have to worry about cords getting thrown around and my tvs, lights getting tossed into boxes. Its so much easier that way. Good choice using your wife!

DJMC
02-17-2012, 08:01 AM
I find it useful to have a USP (Unique Selling Point):

In my area, all of the DJs are Cheesy (play Macarena, Chicken Dance, & YMCA). I'm the only DJ service advertising "NO CHEESE".

This makes them ready to buy when they contact me! Makes it much easier to close....

I love music
02-17-2012, 08:02 AM
I love that I dont have to worry about cords getting thrown around and my tvs, lights getting tossed into boxes. Its so much easier that way. Good choice using your wife!

thats exactly what i mean Donnie!^^ So much easier and with less stress. Cables are nicely taped to the ground, creative ideas are floating as far as where to se-up etc.

many thanks to our wives for that.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-17-2012, 08:05 AM
I find it useful to have a USP (Unique Selling Point):

In my area, all of the DJs are Cheesy (play Macarena, Chicken Dance, & YMCA). I'm the only DJ service advertising "NO CHEESE".

This makes them ready to buy when they contact me! Makes it much easier to close....

This is good but wouldnt you think it is better to advertise a more personal touch. That way the people who may want the games/dances/songs can choose to?

I know one of the things I discuss is the no play list and I tell the potential client that usually people do not want those songs played and its improtant to let me know. Buuuut if they do want it I wouldnt want them drawn away because they think I wont play it if they want it. At least thats how it comes off to me, refering to your No Cheese comment.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-17-2012, 08:14 AM
thats exactly what i mean Donnie!^^ So much easier and with less stress. Cables are nicely taped to the ground, creative ideas are floating as far as where to se-up etc.

many thanks to our wives for that.

lol I have my wife handle all the uplights. I lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve that she does that. Dmw and power linking while taping everything down. AWESOME lol

Stirred
02-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Particularly for weddings, I stress how much time I put into assisting them with the planning of the portions of the evening where I am involved. I like to throw alot of things that I will inquire about to open their eyes up to how much a DJ should be involved with their wedding (and planning).

I always throw out there the "unlimited consultation"...

iammongo
02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Speaking confidently and making the person on the other end of the phone know for certain that they are talking to a professional is what i always do.

I also make the bride (because when does the groom ever make the call?? :lol:) feel like she is the most important client i've ever had. I tell them that i will mail out a wedding planner immediately (which i never fail at) and will follow up with an in person meeting as soon as they want to go over things.

3 things that have worked well for me is to invite the couple over to my house to go over the planner if they so choose, not everyone does this but it makes alot of people feel relaxed. I have lists of the top requested songs for every category you can imagine at a wedding to help them through sticky points, and finally i let them know that they can come meet with me as much as they want to before the wedding. Noone ever takes more than a couple meetings but knowing they have the option available makes them feel good.

I love music
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Being professional on the phone really helps. I also explain (briefly) to them the process of what a dj has to do the day of their wedding. The hrs needed for setting up, etc. And of course trying to sell "an experience" rather than "high tech" equipment or mixing.

things that brides want to hear.

Thing is, most brides spent months shopping for all kinds of pricy and non-important wedding stuff from the over-priced wedding industry and they leave the dj for the last minute, when their expenses are already high. So they think that we are also part of the over-priced wedding industry and the re biased already. Which is not true. the dj is the most important part of a wedding (along with venue and food) but we take only a very small fraction of the money of the whole event.

lol I have my wife handle all the uplights. I lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve that she does that. Dmw and power linking while taping everything down. AWESOME lol

you and me both Donnie :D

CQE DJs
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Being professional on the phone really helps. I also explain (briefly) to them the process of what a dj has to do the day of their wedding. The hrs needed for setting up, etc. And of course trying to sell "an experience" rather than "high tech" equipment or mixing.

This. you need to sell yourself more than your "equipment list". You tell them, look, anyone DJ company can go out and buy the best audio, best lighting etc. But what they cant buy is ME! You are unique to your company, and no other company has the talent that this company has!

jazzyj
02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
What CQE said.

I've taken a different approach. I briefly list my equipment out there on the site, but I don't get real detailed. I don't think my average clients have any idea who Mackie is or what a Traktor is or anything like that. I don't even really sell on my talent. I sell them on customer service.

My husband and I were in the hospitality industry over 20 years - managing restaurants and hotels. We KNOW customer service inside and out. So we sell them on the fact that we are totally flexible and our goal is to make their night perfect - and do everything we can to alleviate their stress of stuff that happens before and on that special day.

We know they meet up with a lot of dj's that pigeon-hole them into doing the same ole same ole that the dj does at every wedding. Or the DJ is not flexible in meeting the wants and needs of the clients. We don't tell the clients what we can NOT do - we tell them everything that we can do and how we can work with what they want. I believe it really helps.

DJ Scotch
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
What CQE said.

I've taken a different approach. I briefly list my equipment out there on the site, but I don't get real detailed. I don't think my average clients have any idea who Mackie is or what a Traktor is or anything like that. I don't even really sell on my talent. I sell them on customer service.

My husband and I were in the hospitality industry over 20 years - managing restaurants and hotels. We KNOW customer service inside and out. So we sell them on the fact that we are totally flexible and our goal is to make their night perfect - and do everything we can to alleviate their stress of stuff that happens before and on that special day.

We know they meet up with a lot of dj's that pigeon-hole them into doing the same ole same ole that the dj does at every wedding. Or the DJ is not flexible in meeting the wants and needs of the clients. We don't tell the clients what we can NOT do - we tell them everything that we can do and how we can work with what they want. I believe it really helps.

Wait I thought you said you don't bad mouth other DJs :p :lol: hehehehehehehhe

jazzyj
02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Wait I thought you said you don't bad mouth other DJs :p :lol: hehehehehehehhe

lol well not by name at least lol i just have too many clients who end up calling me because their $50 craigslist/suzy q's friend's cousin's uncle said yea sure we'll dj your wedding, then 2 months later never to be heard from again. I will bad mouth those dj's lol

DJ Scotch
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
lol well not by name at least lol i just have too many clients who end up calling me because their $50 craigslist/suzy q's friend's cousin's uncle said yea sure we'll dj your wedding, then 2 months later never to be heard from again. I will bad mouth those dj's lol

Oh the wonderful Craigslist. hahahahahahah

I love music
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh the wonderful Craigslist. hahahahahahah

yep...those "weddings for 300$" ads...

CQE DJs
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Its not necessarily bad mouthing other companies, it is upselling yourself. Not saying they are bad, just saying how I am good, there is a difference.

DJ Scotch
02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
yep...those "weddings for 300$" ads...

We the best bro... we do everything bro. best music bro... best music. :lol: only for $300 bro

whether you have 150 people or 500 people same set up. :lol:

I love music
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
We the best bro... we do everything bro. best music bro... best music. :lol: only for $300 bro

exactly :D

and sometimes these people call to "fish" for prices and you can tell right away its one of them.
they sound rude to begin with

In general, whenever i get a call from A GUY asking prices for A WEDDING, i know it must be another dj

its funny to quote them ridicoulusly high prices. Like :

"hello can i help you?
Yeah....yeah...how much is a party?
Sure...can u tell us a bit more info like how many people, where is the party happening?
ummmmmm.....ummmmm.....100 people. what kind equipment do you have?
We have all the necessary equipment. the party will cost you $1000 for 3 hrs.
What type of equipment does that include?
Just two speakers and an amp
**hangs up**

DJ Scotch
02-18-2012, 09:02 AM
exactly :D

and sometimes these people call to "fish" for prices and you can tell right away its one of them.

In general, whenever i get a call from A GUY asking prices for A WEDDING, i know it must be another dj

its funny to quote them ridicoulusly high prices. Like :

"hello can i help you?
Yeah....yeah...how much is a party?
Sure...can u tell us a bit more info like how many people, where is the party happening?
ummmmmm.....ummmmm.....100 people. what kind equipment do you have?
We have all the necessary equipment. the party will cost you $1000 for 3 hrs.
What type of equipment does that include?
Just two speakers and an amp
**hangs up**

Next time answer "More than you can afford pal" hahahhaah :lol:

DJStevieRay
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
The most important thing to booking a client during a face to face meeting, is not what you tell them. It is how well YOU LISTEN. Ask them what how they met, how he proposed, etc. that starts a connection on a personal level. Ask them about past events they attended, what did they like, what did they dislike Then ask what they envision for their event. Then listen. When they are finished you can interject how you can accomplish what they envision.

DJStevieRay
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM

The easiest way to weed out other vendors, is a simple.....

"I am sorry do not quote a price over the phone. If you would like, I can setup a meeting where we can go over what you envision for your event. This way I can properly quote you the appropriate price for your event. There are too many variables to just pull a price out of the sky. When you book your event with Stevie Ray Entertainment, you are not booking a commodity, you are booking all of the memories that you and your guests will cherish. You cannot put a price on that."

If they are another DJ, they will hang up, if they are truly a client, they will book the meeting.

The funny thing is if a competitor would call me up and say hey this is ABC DJs. I would like to discuss pricing with you, I would be more than happy to go over pricing with them. Hell my pricing for my packaged is on my web site, so they don't have to try so hard. I had one DJ at the last bridal show I was out send his wife up asking for information. She proceeded to take my full color tri fold brochures, business cards, price sheets, everything that costs me money to have printed. Then walked over to her husband, and they went over the information. I confronted him, and said I have no problem sharing information with them, but there is no need to resort to being sneaky and lying. I told him once he learned something from my literature, I would appreciate that he would return them, as I pay to have everything printed, and I do not appreciate someone stealing. Ten minutes later, she returned everything. Lol

Dix
02-18-2012, 11:45 AM
A couple of things that I see in my area that works is:
1) I provide a contract & that everything we discuss goes into that contract
2) I let them choose most of their music
3) My 20 years experience in playing music for the public

I think after the event, the best word of mouth I get is the attention & the amount of time I spend with my clients.
Also the music. Although some clients like to provide a lot of music, I think its more in the way that I play it or, in other words, the order that I play it.

But 1st & foremost, the most convincing method I use to get clients to book with me is: I tell them if they don't book me, I will send the moffia to break their legs :P

I love music
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
The most important thing to booking a client during a face to face meeting, is not what you tell them. It is how well YOU LISTEN. Ask them what how they met, how he proposed, etc. that starts a connection on a personal level. Ask them about past events they attended, what did they like, what did they dislike Then ask what they envision for their event. Then listen. When they are finished you can interject how you can accomplish what they envision.

some great points there Stevie Ray. Rep to you for thinking "out of the box".

This thread can really help all of us get better in what we do. At least making the client go the next step (from a phone call to a meeting with us).

I m still reading the "book yourself solid" book. thats where i got the idea of making a "phone script" (a short one and a long one) with all the bullet points that a client should hear. Sounding motivated, trustworthy (very important) and eliminating the couple's No 1 worry (ending up with a crappy dj).

Mike D
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
1) Never mention a competitor, good or bad. I have 2 standard responses, either A) I haven't seen them or B) I haven't seen them much and can't say anything. People are calling you and you only want them thinking about you, never mention another competitor when you could be selling yourself.

2) Get them to talk about their wedding as much as possible, this will give you insight as to what's important for them so you can position your business at the front. I typically start off with my rates, then ask where are they having their reception, get them talking a little.

3) Play up all the things you do for them. Whether you have packages or just one rate, mention that you do all the announcing to keep the night flowing/moving, because you want the party to really be great, and that means staying on top of everything that night. Point out that you'll play the songs they want, because it's their wedding. They like to hear that it's about them, always bring the topic back to them and their wedding and how you can help it.

4) If you've played or been to their hall even just once, make sure they know this. Anything you can do to build yourself as a competent and reliable authority will help you.

Personally, i don't push anything though. I'm as busy as I want to be, so I don't need to beg for business and if someone wants to hire someone else, more power to them. But I always emphasize how professional my business is and that their night is all about them. It doesn't hurt that I have several businesses in town referring to me as their preferred DJ either.