PDA

View Full Version : Tribal So I've been working on my first production effort with a buddy of mine...

DJWhoQE
02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
http://soundcloud.com/bopeepbass/kecak-the-monkey-chant/s-d3Pv5

This is the first track I've ever really worked on, and it's far from perfect. Hopefully (one day) it'll be a Tribal House/Tropical Bass stomper. But it still needs a lot of work.

So that's why I've come here. Does anyone have some advice/tips/critiques on what I can do to make this track better? Currently producing it in Ableton Live, if that makes any difference.

Ocie
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I haven't jumped into producing so I can't offer any technical advice. I'm not a fan of that muddy bass line that starts at the drop. Just me though I guess. I do like the tribal feel though :tup:

DJWhoQE
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I haven't jumped into producing so I can't offer any technical advice. I'm not a fan of that muddy bass line that starts at the drop. Just me though I guess. I do like the tribal feel though :tup:
Thanks man! Yeah, we're considering taking out that Hardstyle kick -- I've got a feeling that might help. +rep.

Edit: About to re-upload the track because I accidentally deleted it. Whoops.

Edit 2: Done!

Mike Raunchy
02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Im pretty new at producing myself but I will offer my 2 cents. Totally dig the style and sound, its a stomper already. The percussion is excellent but whatever the steel sounding drums are, they seem just a tad too loud. I know you want them to stand out but IMHO they stand out too much. I agree with the other poster about the muddy bass line but you don't have to necessarily remove anything. Try to pan the Kick drum to the left, say 11 o'clock and pan the bassline to the right, say 1 o'clock and leave your vocal overlay dead center and play around with that. You coulld also EQ your kick and bassline to shave off frequencies so they dont over lap. Now I produce booty house and ghettotech so I run into alot of kick drum/ bassline relationship issues lol. Another trick I learned is to have the bassline notes hit between the kick drum in order to separate them but in your case that would be not feasible, just food for thought. You and your partner have a quality track well on the way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Synergy
02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
^^ drums are too loud for sure. That shit is nice though, i like the 4x4 when its harder. try to let some of that hardness in on the beginning so u ease into the harder drums, kinda takes you by surprise?

at around 1:10 it abruptly goes to that yell, try some white noise or something in there to transition it? came out of nowhere.