PDA

View Full Version : new producer seeking advice

de.j.l
02-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey all, I have been producing for 3 weeks now and am seeking some advice on my sound introductions and just overall this project and what I could do to improve it.
I have torn this thing apart and re-arranged it whilst spending tons of time working on my sounds. (its rough, only leveled so its out of the red right now)
Any factors you think will help improve this piece will be helpful in my completion of the project, I am by no means an amazing producer as I have only been doing it for 3 weeks now, all these sounds are done in Operator other then the electro bassline.

*UPDATED*FEB17/12--6:24am
http://soundcloud.com/eth-lizee/even-flow-work-in-progress
*UPDATED*FEB18/12--1:34 pm
http://soundcloud.com/eth-lizee/project-1-original

Rip it apart, give me ideas on what I am doing wrong and where I am going in the proper direction.

Thanks alot in advance, look foward to hearing some feedback.

De.j.l

thehadgi
02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Pretty man, I def couldn't make that 3 weeks in. You got good ideas, and my ears are burnt out right now so I can't comment on your levels (which sound pretty good on my headphones...). Got some cool sounds too that I assume you'll develop as you go too, like the.. what sound it is... owl sound? Ha I like it. One suggestion is something I am trying to work on also, your percussion. Maybe see if you can add more higher pitch percussion in there to have a flow to latch on to. You got a cool kick and low end bassline, but it could use something other than a snare to give rhythm. Try some claps maybe, play around with some hats or even crashes. I do like how you use the sound effects rhythmically tho too... good work :tup:

de.j.l
02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Pretty man, I def couldn't make that 3 weeks in. You got good ideas, and my ears are burnt out right now so I can't comment on your levels (which sound pretty good on my headphones...). Got some cool sounds too that I assume you'll develop as you go too, like the.. what sound it is... owl sound? Ha I like it. One suggestion is something I am trying to work on also, your percussion. Maybe see if you can add more higher pitch percussion in there to have a flow to latch on to. You got a cool kick and low end bassline, but it could use something other than a snare to give rhythm. Try some claps maybe, play around with some hats or even crashes. I do like how you use the sound effects rhythmically tho too... good work :tup:

Owl sound, lol. Yea, its a low end wobble. Thanks for the words of advice, I will work on something to add more of a percussion.

de.j.l
02-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Advice taken thus far, and reposted with elements in the mix.

Sedna
02-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I like the your call and response with the percussives, but I feel that the track as a whole is lacking dynamic. It needs more noise in general; it sounds a bit hollow. Perhaps something in the higher frequency range responding to the bass during the empty sounding areas, especially later in the track.

Divercity
02-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Best advice I can give:

- Take your time and focus.

- FINISH your tracks. It's a must man. If you don't you will constantly have little loops and won't have anything against your name. Once you get around that it actually become's alot more fun.

- Realize that all the producers you wish you could be like have been producing for atleast 5-10 years. Keep at it and you will be on the same level eventually.

- Protect your ear's. You want them to last as long as you can.

- Studio monitor's are not so you can play incredibly loud music and pump out bass that is impossible to hear otherwise. They are used so you can hear everything clearly.

- Learn as much as you can.

- I would say learn a bit of theory as well. It has helped me alot and it is a great idea to pick it up.

- Take feedback well and listen to those that post constructively. Don't lash out at anyone that says "this sucks" or "boring". Ignore them and look for those that have a reason why something either doesn't work or is done well.

More or less off the top of my head :P

de.j.l
02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
+rep to everyone for the helpful advice.

As of now I definitely protect my ears, my monitors have been around for 8+ years, treat them like gold. Personally, I try not to feed those who are rude with rude comments back. I learn and progress from peoples opinion but cannot say I take everything everyone has to say. I take the bits that I feel are most important and work them into what I am doing.. im currently only working on this one project, gonna wrap it up once it comes to me. I have some knowledge of music theory but could for sure use alot more. Wish school was an option but ill have to use the second best thing, youtube..

Thanks again guys.

de.j.l
02-18-2012, 10:18 AM
I like the your call and response with the percussives, but I feel that the track as a whole is lacking dynamic. It needs more noise in general; it sounds a bit hollow. Perhaps something in the higher frequency range responding to the bass during the empty sounding areas, especially later in the track.
I agree, I am working on putting some bongo percussions in it, introducing it through the whole track and hitting after the first build up(put proper white noise to it as well)

I will repost my progress once I have some time to work on it and clean it up. This current post was done all in headphones, since then I have leveled it on my monitors and added those bongo's I talked about but am going to need to re-tune them. Something feels off, but it definitely fills it up in a good way, just need to find the proper bongo sound and effects to create the bounce.

edit beyond this point---

I forgot to add that I also added 4 more kicks layered over at different frequencies, causing less stress on needing the kick volumes up as loud and more room for every other sound to fit in alot easier when leveling.

Austin GoGreen
02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Sounds good, add another nasty guitar riff or something then back it up with some Gucci or Waka Flocka Flame vocals, the dirtier/most explicit the better. Seriously, not being a dick, that's what i'm hearing over this beat.

de.j.l
02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Sounds good, add another nasty guitar riff or something then back it up with some Gucci or Waka Flocka Flame vocals, the dirtier/most explicit the better. Seriously, not being a dick, that's what i'm hearing over this beat.

yea, I definitely need to look into a vocal overlay I agree.