PDA

View Full Version : new speakers

Jenks
11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
im just about to buy a pioneer ddj-dj sx controller..and im new to this has anyone got any recommendations for speakers please..

Incognito
11-18-2012, 05:38 PM
What is your budget, what genre of music, what size venue, for how many people, active/passive? Are you looking for just a pair of tops or are you looking for complimentary subs to go with them? Are these just for home, if their for gigs then what kind of transport do you have access to?

Jenks
11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
its just for home use..well ive no intentions yet of venture..music woud be defected house,progressive house..pair of tops i think..my budget..dunno about budget im like if somethings worth that extra ill pay it but havent really thought about it..so sort of middle of the road..dont want to skrimp but dont want to brake the bank..sorry if thats all a bit vague..but thanks for any help and input

Incognito
11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
There's two ways you can go. You can either go with studio monitors if all you plan to do is practice at home with them & at most do a small (20 person or so) party that doesn't require too high of SPL. The other way is to get a pair of mid level PA speakers that will not sound as precise as a pair of decent studio monitors but will have much higher SPL potential, this would be good if you plan to host larger house parties or in a larger environment such as in the back yard. First decide between those two options then a more detailed suggestion as far as options can be provided.

Jenks
11-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Definitely home use..I've been looking at the KRK range

Incognito
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Definitely home use..I've been looking at the KRK range

Well the KRK are a good way to go, middle of the road & a decent price point. Go for the 8" so that you get a decent amount of low end content from them (nowhere the same as a dedicated sub but better then the smaller monitors as far as stand alone performance is concerned.

light-o-matic
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Yea, studio monitors for sure.
The price range you will want to look in is around $400 to 600 for the pair, there are a lot of choices in that range that will be good for you.

As Incognito said, an 8 inch monitor will give you more bass, which you will enjoy with the music you are playing.. as compared to a 5 inch monitor (5 and 8 inch represent the size of the woofer (bass speaker) in the monitor and are two very common monitor sizes). But, another option you have is to get a pair of 5 inch monitors and a single (probably 10 inch) subwoofer to go with it.. if you have the cash for that kind of setup, you will get more and better bass than with the 8 inch monitors alone.. and a 5 inch monitor is easier to fit around your setup, if you have space problems.

As far as brand.. a lot of people like KRK, Yamaha HS50 or HS80 is very good.. , Mackie MR5 MR8.. if you have a bit less money try Alesis. If you have more money and want something really fine sounding, try Dynaudio or JBL. If you have a music store or audio store with monitors on display for you to listen to, that is the best option for you.. go listen to a bunch of monitors with your own music, see what you like.

You will def be pretty happy with any of those.. keeping in mind the bass restrictions of most of the smaller monitors unless you have a subwoofer to go with them.. pretty much all these monitors have subs made by the same company, designed to go with them.

ampnation
11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
And if you're rolling in it, check out some Genelecs. :lol:

Jenks
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
cheers for all your info..goona av a look at a few more now..and will def get myself down to listen to some speakers youve said about..cheers guys