PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DSR115 or EV ZXA5

sgmobiledj
11-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I am in a toss up. What's your advice?

jayhwk
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
ZXA5, hands down. It's in a different class than the DSR - I haven't seen any DSRs out on professional corporate shows by the big companies around here, but there's one that runs ZXA5s exclusively with excellent results.

BillESC
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I like the EV sound better. I'm also a dealer.

GaFFLe
11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Not even close... ZXa5

Incognito
11-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Apples, oranges.... How can you compare?

ZXa5 is in a higher league so it will instantly get the win out o fthe two unless your funds are a little shy.

sgmobiledj
11-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Sounds like ZXA5 is the way to go then. Thanks for the input. Now to find a dealer...

ampnation
11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Sounds like ZXA5 is the way to go then. Thanks for the input. Now to find a dealer...

See above. LOL

DJAkash
11-20-2012, 06:48 AM
I think the RCF 722a is more of a fair fight.

GaFFLe
11-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Not apples-to-apples but I heard some decent reviews of the Yamaha DSR line of speakers though.

Al Poulin
11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
These two active cabs are pretty much in the same league IMO. The DSR115 is a VERY, VERY capable speaker as is the ZXA5. I would personally choose the Yamaha over the ZXA5, but just because I prefer Yamaha as a manufacturer and I haven't heard the best things about EV's client support. From what I've read, the ZXA5 will get a little louder, but I doubt there is that big a difference overall between these two cabs. I wish the EV had a limiter, because I've read of at least a few woofer failures.

Al

Incognito
11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
These two active cabs are pretty much in the same league IMO. The DSR115 is a VERY, VERY capable speaker as is the ZXA5. I would personally choose the Yamaha over the ZXA5, but just because I prefer Yamaha as a manufacturer and I haven't heard the best things about EV's client support. From what I've read, the ZXA5 will get a little louder, but I doubt there is that big a difference overall between these two cabs. I wish the EV had a limiter, because I've read of at least a few woofer failures.

Al

While both companies fudge their spec sheets, Yamaha takes it to another level.... 136db HA!!!!! Those are theoretical peak measurements in action again.

Al Poulin
11-22-2012, 07:10 PM
While both companies fudge their spec sheets, Yamaha takes it to another level.... 136db HA!!!!! Those are theoretical peak measurements in action again.

This applies to almost ALL active speakers produced in the last year and a half. The SPL spec might actually be measured though, for a few milleseconds, with all limiters OFF, at a specific frequency just before the speaker self destructed BUT a typical user will NEVER be able to achieve anywhere near this number in real world use. I measured most of my speakers a few weeks ago with an older SPL meter (at one meter) just for fun - and they all had a tough time reaching 120DBs ON PEAKS (C weighted - fast response) at the onset of limiting with most topping out at about 116-118DBs... This is run full range of course with actual music program material. Crossing them over at 100hz would have yielded higher output, but I didn't have earplugs.

Al

Incognito
11-23-2012, 12:03 AM
This applies to almost ALL active speakers produced in the last year and a half. The SPL spec might actually be measured though, for a few milleseconds, with all limiters OFF, at a specific frequency just before the speaker self destructed BUT a typical user will NEVER be able to achieve anywhere near this number in real world use. I measured most of my speakers a few weeks ago with an older SPL meter (at one meter) just for fun - and they all had a tough time reaching 120DBs ON PEAKS (C weighted - fast response) at the onset of limiting with most topping out at about 116-118DBs... This is run full range of course with actual music program material. Crossing them over at 100hz would have yielded higher output, but I didn't have earplugs.

Al

Not even close to measured, even with limiters off. Yamaha based it off of the amp module potential & the given sensitivity of the driver with no consideration of the actual power handling of the actual driver. Such is true with a number of other power speakers, there is no way you're getting 450 watts into that little 50 - 75 watt compression driver & take note that the same 850 watts is applied to both the DSR115 as well as the DSR 215, so based on that the drivers used are at best 400 watt drivers. Even the calculated method of using available power & speaker sensitivity seems fishy for this speaker because that would mean to achieve the stated 136db using ALL of the stated 1,300 watts (which I just showed isn't going to happen) the DSR115 would require a speaker sensitivity of 105db 1w/1m & the only way they would even come close to that would be to base it off of the sensitivity of the compression driver alone (& we both know that compression driver isn't taking 1,300 watts, not even for a second).

As for your measurements, keep in mind not many of the lower end SPL meters are overly accurate. Plus you're not going to gain massive enough SPL to jump from 116db-118db fullrange to the ange of 136db with just a 100hz HPF cut, just a couple db gain on average.