PDA

View Full Version : Bose L1 w/ Bass Modules?

Bassline Brine
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Bose L1 series with the added Bass modules.

They've caught my eye for awhile now, and just trying to see if anyone has real world experience with them. I'd mainly be looking at them for some friend/family gigs, and then potentially for a smaller bar setup. Just feeling out different options on the smaller end of PA setups at the moment.

STLRiverCity
11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I used one L1M1 with dual bass modules for over a year. Overall I really liked it for the smaller gigs, like small bars. I usually used it at a bar with around 200ppl in it, maybe 50x40 with the bar in the middle.

Everyone always complimented me on the sound and I never felt I was pushing it too hard.

You may want to look at the new one they just came out with. It has dual 10" woofers instead of the dual 5.25". They have one at my local GC, but I haven't tried it.

So, you may wonder why I don't use it anymore? When going to very large rooms with crowds in the 150-200 range, or outdoors, it is lacking. I am now using a Yorkville system with Elite E12 tops powered by a Crown XS700 and a LS200 sub.

At low to medium volumes I think the sound is equivalent between both of my systems, but the Yorkville system can definitely get much louder.

The new system is a lot more to carry around and takes longer to setup, but I needed something louder.

Hopefully that helps.

light-o-matic
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
They're stylish.. but at $4000 (what you would pay for that) you can get a lot of nice sounding stuff that's more appropriate for DJ use.

Brandt Slater
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I would do a little more research or possibly if you know anyone who has them check them out. They're pretty pricey. Even Bose doesn't recommend them for weddings. I see them mostly in small intimate settings like coffee houses where space is limited and musicians can use them for house and monitors together.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-13-2012, 09:14 PM
They'd be pretty good small venue systems if they cost what they're worth, but they're priced at least double that. And you need two if you run stereo.

Unknown DJ
11-14-2012, 04:50 AM
I would look at the Line 6 speakers instead. http://line6.com/stagesource-l3t/

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
I would look at the Line 6 speakers instead. http://line6.com/stagesource-l3t/Those are very different technology, not at all comparable to the L1. What would be comparable is the JBL CBT100LA, mated with a real sub.

JPelli73
11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I have two L1 systems- a Model 1 with two of the smaller ("B1") bass bins and a Model 2 with a single larger "B2" module. I like mine very much, and have also purchased a smaller L1 Compact system for house parties and ceremony duty. I get lots of compliments from my clients (mostly weddings) about the look and the sound of the Bose gear.

I've used a single L1 for weddings of up to 150 people lots of times with no problems. If it's a huge venue or there are a ton of people standing near the speaker array, I've found that a single L1 isn't enough to get the job done- at high volumes, the low frequencies start rolling off as the system's built in limiters and compressors start kicking in to prevent distortion. Now that I have two systems to run in parallel, I'm fairly confident that there isn't a single venue I've ever worked in that I wouldn't have had enough output for.

A L1 model 2 with the 2 B1 bass bins is $3300 at Guitar Center.

There's a whole forum full of DJs that use the Bose products here:

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/867107664

who can likely answer many of your questions with real-world experience. I've found that many people immediately jump on the "hater" bandwagon without a firm understanding of what the Bose gear does and does not do well.

Pelli

Danimal
11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
A L1 model 2 with the 2 B1 bass bins is $3300 at Guitar Center.

Pelli

There are WAY better ways to spend $3300 on a sound system from GC for DJ use. Even on the low end $1000 could get you a B-52 Matrix 2000v2 that would blow the BOSE out of the water SPL wise, and leave you with $2300 extra $$.

If was spending $3k on a high end powered system, I would go with a pair of JBL PRX635 or PRX612 tops and a JBL PRX618S sub. The BOSE system isn't even in the same class.

Bassline Brine
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you for the quick replies guys, it's pretty much waylaid some thoughts I've had on it. I'm actually not too worried about price, as I have connections with Bose itself (it is a Massachusetts based company after all). But it's good to hear from people that it really works well.

Right now my focus honestly is the club scene, but I plan on moving (my 5 year plan) into more mobile work in the future, and there's just something about this system that I really like. And well, Bose speaks of professional. Paying for the name isn't a bad thing when image is big. And to hear it has the power to handle things decently? That's perfect.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-14-2012, 08:54 PM
And well, Bose speaks of professional. Paying for the name isn't a bad thing when image is big.Bose isn't professional, and it's the most reviled name in the industry. That's why sites like this exist:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Think again, and don't fall for the hype.

Evil Steve
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I will state my opinion. There are people who would disagree with it. Those people are welcome to their opinion. This post, nevertheless, reflects my opinion.
Bose does not "speak of professional".
Bose image is not big among professional sound reinforcement people, unless those people sell Bose equipment.
Bose may be able to "handle things decently". In my experience, adequate is the best description I could give Bose gear.
There are MANY other manufacturers who are better respected by professionals.
There are many other manufacturers who will "handle things decently".
Equipment from those other manufacturers would do the same job as Bose (usually better) for significantly less money.
Bose does not, in my opinion, offer value for money.
There are some situations where Bose L1 might perform better than a competitor's product.
I have never been in one of those situations.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
There are some situations where Bose L1 might perform better than a competitor's product.
There is one that I know of, a single act or duo. A friend of mine does a keyboard single act, with his keys and mic through his L1/dual subs, and for the coffee shop/small bar/wedding gigs he does it's OK, especially as his technical expertise with regards to gear is zero, and he couldn't figure out a PA rack if his life depended on it. When he sits in with my band he still uses the L1 for his keys, but his mic goes into my real PA.

STLRiverCity
11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Right now my focus honestly is the club scene, but I plan on moving (my 5 year plan) into more mobile work in the future.

If you're going to be playing club style when you go mobile then the Bose is NOT the system for you. For the money you would spend on the Bose system you can get a 2.1 system that will give that chest thumping bass and clear tops that is probably required by that style of music. There is no way the Bose system will give you bass you can feel.

JamminDownJD
11-15-2012, 01:41 AM
The Bose system is one of many tools in my arsenal. My Bose L1s do not go out to every gig. Rather, they go out to events and venues that would benefit from the crazy-wide dispersion angle and the look of these speakers.

Yes there are ways that a Bose system will give you the bass you can feel. You can add more bass bins with a Packlite amplifier, or you can supplement the bass bins with more traditional subs. Of course, it's much more expensive and would require to bring a heck of a lot more pieces of gear. Setup takes a little longer than standard powered speakers on stands. I currently use 4 B1 bass bins with my L1 Classics. There are new B2 bass bins that supposedly pump out much more. Some Boseheads are saying that 1 Bose B2 = 4 Bose B1s.

If you are looking for a first system to buy, the Bose is not it. (Sorry, Boseheads, I do not believe that these speakers are magic and can handle every acoustic challenge.) Modularity is important to me because every event, every gig, every venue is different. Sometimes 8" speakers are best, sometimes multiple subs are best, sometimes multiple speakers are best... I like to have different sizes of speakers available at my disposal for each event. I do a little bit of live sound with bands and corporate seminars, so having various traditional speakers of different sizes, throw, and dispersion angles works very well for me.

The Bose L1s were built for musicians on stages, and they were never built with DJs in mind. Thus, these systems need a bit of tweaking to work sufficiently for most DJs. Most of the DJs in this forum seem to spin EDM or maybe a little bit of hip-hop for school or basement parties (or just their bedroom), maybe even bars or clubs. For them, the Bose L1s will not fit the bill. For the mobile DJs who do weddings in higher-end venues like country clubs, downtown hotels, and unique venues like museums, then the Bose L1s are worthy of some consideration as second systems. Even then, there are many times when you would be much better off with conventional powered speakers or even a passive speaker system.

That said, to the OP: for the type of gigs you are aiming to do, you will be much better served with standard powered speakers such as the QSC K or KW Series, EV Live-X, Yamaha DSR or DXR, or RCFs. Look at a pair of 12" or 15" tops and a powered sub like the QSC KW181.

Cris1605
11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I have both flavors. They have different tones, for different events. I love them both for different reasons.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/152/55a0762952984cb7bd904f1a86700dd8/l.jpg

light-o-matic
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Bose speaks professional, only to those who don't really know pro audio.
Within the pro audio field, Bose is not very well respected.

So, if you wanna say that your customers like the look of the system, and like the Bose name.. and are willing to pay for that.. and that they don't mind that it's not as professional as they think it is, and don't mind that it's not really a good value.. then sure, go for it. You are running a business and if customers want Bose give em Bose, by all means. But on here, we know the difference.

DJ Nada
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
The people that think Bose=Professional Quality sound are people that don't know anything about professional sound.
I've heard the L1's used for a comedy show, and they worked well. They really do have a very wide dispersion angle. For DJing you have many superior options at that price range. I'd go with some of the brands mentioned above.

sss18734
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm curious how those L2 "Bass Modules" sound. Unprofessional or not, people unfortunately THINK Bose is professional, and in many instances, that is all that matters.

From my experience, a pair of L1's with 4 bass bins is adequate for most weddings. And as much as I hate to say it, I got WAY more interest in my sound system when I ran Bose than my current SRX & Yorkville Units rigs... even though the difference between the two is devastating.

They are definitely overpriced units, though. If they cost $1K a piece or so, they would be an excellent system for the price.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-15-2012, 09:34 PM
From my experience, a pair of L1's with 4 bass bins is adequate for most weddings. $6000 is a lot to pay for 'adequate'. :lol:

JPelli73
11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Bose isn't professional, and it's the most reviled name in the industry. That's why sites like this exist:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

Think again, and don't fall for the hype.

Edit... Nah, why bother. Haters gonna hate :(

Cris1605
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm curious how those L2 "Bass Modules" sound.

IME one B2 bass module puts out just as much output as my previous QSC Ksub. It seems that the direct radiating design throws much furthur than the bandpass design of the Ksub. The Ksub would drop SPL quick about 15 feet out, but the B2's bass still travels. I have heard a 4 B1 setup and feel that one B2 equals that but not surpasses it. I just did a wedding over the weekend for about 150 people where the B2 had no problem filling the room. I would not use a B1 for anything more than 30-40 people though, they are just not made for music playback use. Bose L1's in general have a focus on midrange output making them very useful for instruments and vocal use. It may not be ideal for all types of music. I did an A/B with the L1/B2 compared to my K12/KW181 in my basement for about 3 hours. For EDM, hip hop, and pop music I found the QSC s more desireable. But when listening to bands like The Eagles, Chicago, or Eric Clapton, the Bose system really shined. The QSC's sounded smiley EQ'd when playing this kind of music compared to Bose. And Bose sounded muffeled and non crisp while playing Hip Hop dance stuff, plus the bass could not extend as low. So like I was saying before, I love them both for different reasons.

DJzrule
11-15-2012, 11:54 PM
He's not a hater, he's an acclaimed and respected speaker designer and audio engineer in the industry. I'd trust his opinion over someone who thinks Bose is a better product, and spending 3000 dollars on it is worthwhile compared to SO many other better offerings.

Brandt Slater
11-16-2012, 02:03 AM
I know Bill's work, he's not someone who would just trash talk a product unless it lacked productivity and he didn't test the products himself. I for one have never been a Bose fan. Even their home line products are horrible. Many years ago I bought into the whole Acoustimass home theater line and within a year I blew them up. Since then I won't let any Bose products into my house or my company. I'll buy a bunch of Peavey speakers before buying another Bose speaker. Again this is my opinion through experience.

However, the LT-1 system is good for some gigs but not a big room party. They were designed for the traveling musician who required a house and monitor set up in one box. But the cost doesn't justify it's well being. I mean, you could get a K-series rig for less (which most DJ's in my area have for good reasons).

Incognito
11-16-2012, 04:01 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/popcorn-gifs/THISGONBGUD.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/popcorn-gifs/popcorn_yes.gif

Bose = Professional?....... LOL!!!!!

DJ LEVLHED
11-22-2012, 01:05 AM
IMO, if you have the money and are actively targeting "classy" weddings of up to 150 - maybe 200 - people it is a good choice esp w the new B2 subs, but 4 of the B1's suffice. It is all about the physical aesthetic there and as much as it pains me to admit: most people believe it sounds good before they even hear it. You will get the occasional pro laughing at you behind your back (or even in your face) but pointing out the fact that you are getting PAID should shut them up pretty quick!

If you deviate from any of those criteria though it would behoove you to at least consider other options. The Bose L1 system is a pretty niche product...if you are not in that niche then it is not a good choice.

IMO YMMV

Unknown DJ
11-22-2012, 03:51 AM
I think these would look great at a wedding. Just as good as the bose speakers but with more output.

http://worldmusicsupply.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/openline6newl3t.jpg

and If you were doing a larger event.

http://worldmusicsupply.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/speakers-l3t.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-22-2012, 08:09 AM
and If you were doing a larger event.

http://worldmusicsupply.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/speakers-l3t.jpgDecent speakers, but they're not stackable. These are, and even four per side for stereo with subs and amps would come in less than the Blose in mono.
http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Galaxy_Audio/LA4B/12304

DJzrule
11-22-2012, 08:47 AM
IMO, if you have the money and are actively targeting "classy" weddings of up to 150 - maybe 200 - people it is a good choice esp w the new B2 subs, but 4 of the B1's suffice. It is all about the physical aesthetic there and as much as it pains me to admit: most people believe it sounds good before they even hear it. You will get the occasional pro laughing at you behind your back (or even in your face) but pointing out the fact that you are getting PAID should shut them up pretty quick!

If you deviate from any of those criteria though it would behoove you to at least consider other options. The Bose L1 system is a pretty niche product...if you are not in that niche then it is not a good choice.

IMO YMMV

That's honestly like saying "well yeah, its possible to paint with feces, and even though its not the proper way to paint, we'll do it anyway because misinformed people like it and will pay for it."

I'd much rather buy a system with 4x the performance, that's more versatile and actually sounds better, so that I'm prepared for any type of gig, and I'm guaranteed to make an impression on clients.

If I ever get a client who would complain I'm not using Bose, I would actually laugh at them, tell them that I'm a real DJ who knows how to be a professional, and if they want someone with overpriced and crappy speakers to play their job, then go ahead and give them the business. They're not worth my time.

DJ LEVLHED
11-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes, I completely understand that frame of mind and have no problem with it personally.

sss18734
11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
If I ever get a client who would complain I'm not using Bose, I would actually laugh at them, tell them that I'm a real DJ who knows how to be a professional, and if they want someone with overpriced and crappy speakers to play their job, then go ahead and give them the business. They're not worth my time.

This statement is very rude and unprofessional.

DJzrule
11-22-2012, 09:05 PM
This statement is very rude and unprofessional.

You've never dealt with a Bridezilla, or Sweet 16/Batmitzvah Diva mom, PITA party planner or event organizer. If one of them is down my throat or judging me if I'm not using Bose, I'm going to tell them that professionals don't use Bose, but instead use real brands like JBL, QSC, Yamaha, and ElectroVoice. If they refute it or turn down my business because of my equipment, I'd rather not deal with whatever else the planner has to bitch about later on before/during the event. Not worth my time or effort when I take pride in my business.

Shlazzer
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
theres a difference between taking pride in yourself and being a pompous and unprofessional wanker

DJ LEVLHED
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
A professional is able to handle all situations with class and tact.
Bu really, it's fine if you want to pick and choose your clients and turn down work...someone else will do th gig.

DJzrule
11-22-2012, 11:08 PM
No one is stopping either of you from overspending on your equipment and taking the jobs. I'd rather not deal with the headache of pompous clients who think Bose is the end-all-be-all.

DJ LEVLHED
11-22-2012, 11:28 PM
yeah. I think we got it. But maybe express yourself one more time to make sure though.

Incognito
11-23-2012, 12:22 AM
While I wouldn't go to the extremes as DJzrule. I would explain to the client that there are different levels of gear & while Bose maybe considered Prosumer in some circles it isn't true Professional level gear. As such since my trade requires me to be able to provide pro level spec & thus why I use the appropriate gear to reach that spec, to which the Bose system in question isn't capable of achieving. Let me give you a demo of what I do have to offer in the environment of your venue & once you have seen/heard what I can offer, you can then make the choice as to if you feel what I have is up to your standards.

On the topic from a personal stand point I can say I have NEVER lost a client to a Bose system, however I have gained clients from people who do use Bose. In my view Bose is targeting the same mind set that go after Beats By Dre, based mainly on marketing hype & name brand vs how they actually stand up to the competition in the same price point.

Shlazzer
11-23-2012, 12:31 AM
well what a classy way to explain that! so it CAN be done! :jerk:

sss18734
11-23-2012, 01:24 AM
You've never dealt with a Bridezilla, or Sweet 16/Batmitzvah Diva mom, PITA party planner or event organizer.

Good to know that not only are you unprofessional and rude, but you assume things. Bravo sir.

I love selling people on better equipment. But if they want Bose, they will get Bose. And I will get paid and get a glowing review.

You, on the other hand, are "taking pride in your business" by laughing in your potential clients' faces and telling them to go elsewhere because apparently, you know what they want better than they do.

DJzrule
11-24-2012, 11:57 AM
sss18734, I don't expect my clients to know about sound equipment rigging. I'm not trying to come off as a harsh person, and I certainly don't come off harsh on my clients. I just point them in the other direction if they don't want to believe me when I tell them DJs who use Bose aren't professional.

sss18734
11-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm not trying to come off as a harsh person, and I certainly don't come off harsh on my clients. I just point them in the other direction if they don't want to believe me when I tell them DJs who use Bose aren't professional.

Your quote on the last page says completely otherwise:

That's honestly like saying "well yeah, its possible to paint with feces, and even though its not the proper way to paint, we'll do it anyway because misinformed people like it and will pay for it."

DJzrule
11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Your quote on the last page says completely otherwise:

I wouldn't actually laugh at a client out loud, its in my head...

*wooosh*

Capitan
11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
...DJs who use Bose aren't professional.

Having the "right" equipment doesn't make you professional either, as some of the posts and attitudes in this thread prove.

sss18734
11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
If I ever get a client who would complain I'm not using Bose, I would actually laugh at them

A few posts later...

I wouldn't actually laugh at a client out loud, its in my head...

*wooosh*

^Hilarious :lol: