PDA

View Full Version : advantage to useing a second harddrive in a laptop vs external

djmunster
11-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I see that they make a caddie so I can add a second harddrive to my laptop,it would go where the CD,DVD drive is ,what are the advantages and disadvantages vs an external drive
Oh the second drive is only to keep my music collection ,im sick of always having to connect the external

drzinc
11-12-2012, 09:04 AM
CD as a software media is dying so this slot is a great place to put another drive. I would use this slot to add a SSD and use it as your boot drive and then fill the normal drive slot with the biggest conventional drive you can afford.

djmunster
11-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Ok thats cool now just got to see if my motherboard would support a ssd

ampnation
11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
The external is great if your laptop dies. Just sayin

djmunster
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I will always carry my external with me ,looking to avoid having to always hook one up

VjQue
11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I been using a caddy for about 1 year now. I have 2tb in all three of my MacBook pro. It cuts down time and it makes your external just what they are.

Don't add a ssd until they come out with a cheaper 1tb and you can't put it in the CD slot.

I have a external CD/DVD player burner that plugs in.

I carry 1.5tb pocket drives with my same music on it just in case.

Plus I have a bootable bare Harddrive if I need to install in a flash.

To me a ssd is not needed as your boot up time might be faster but space is not.

Ssd 1tb cost $2450 to $3250
Regular 1tb cost $120
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ocz_start_shipping_25-inch_1tb_octane_ssds_month

This is what turned me I off ssd. I heard the new hybrid drive are fast to.
http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us15&q=ssd+drives+1tb

Dj Pudgey
11-14-2012, 03:38 PM
the way I have my Mac set up is I have an SSD in the original spot for applications and such. I removed the CD drive and replaced it with a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate Momentus drive With the OS on it as well as my music libraries. In case the SSD fails, I can just boot the Seagate. Because my media is on the Second drive, no problems.

djmunster
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Wouldvit be less taxing on the computer to have the second drive instead of it connected via usb

Unknown DJ
11-15-2012, 03:57 AM
Wouldvit be less taxing on the computer to have the second drive instead of it connected via usb

Adding a second internal HD will take more battery power. I don't thing a USB drive will be taxing on a computer.

VjQue
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Adding a second internal HD will take more battery power. I don't thing a USB drive will be taxing on a computer. its not. My battery is still the same.

I thought that to but it don't get used till I'm spinning video and its accessing the 2 drive.

Its a big advantage also cause if your power supply is bad you can't use the external, but if you install it in a caddy you don't need to.

djmunster
11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
i figured it would be easier to acess the music if it was internal vs usb meaning less taxing

Phil Noize
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I would go internal all the way. There's too many points of failure using an external hard drive in a live situation.

My buddy was using an external drive live in a club. He knocked the USB connector whilst a tune was playing. The plug didn't come out, but it must have interupted the data flow because his laptop locked up right there and then. Someone shouted: "Is this a night-club or what?!" from the back of the dancefloor as he rebooted. It was so embarrassing for him.

If you use a computer live, always have a CD loaded in one of the decks, just in case! ... especially if you use an external hard drive!

ampnation
11-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Having a bare drive in an external caddy is a nice way to go because if you get new gear that takes a faster interface like usb 3.0, you can get a usb 3.0 caddy and transfer the drive. It's more bulk though so there are pros and cons.

VjQue
11-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I would go internal all the way. There's too many points of failure using an external hard drive in a live situation.

My buddy was using an external drive live in a club. He knocked the USB connector whilst a tune was playing. The plug didn't come out, but it must have interupted the data flow because his laptop locked up right there and then. Someone shouted: "Is this a night-club or what?!" from the back of the dancefloor as he rebooted. It was so embarrassing for him.

If you use a computer live, always have a CD loaded in one of the decks, just in case! ... especially if you use an external hard drive!
For got about the accidental unplug. Plus if its formatted for Mac and PC you could lose all your music right there on the spot