PDA

View Full Version : Simple 3-4 Channel Mixer?

Johnnotestine
11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I am looking for a small mixer I can hook up to powered speakers. It needs to have 2 microphone inputs and a way to connect an ipod or computer.

Any opinions on the Mackie 402-VLZ3?
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/johnnotestine/DV016_Jpg_Large_630342_front.jpg

Are there any alternatives that perform better, or have XLR out?

ampnation
11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I haven't heard any opinions one way or another on the current crop of Mackie mixers specifically, but they did have some HUGE quality control problems with their powered speakers when they moved production to China. They may have fixed those by now, but I haven't heard. Beyond the quality control problems, they didn't seem to handle the problem well. It was taking people a long time to get warranty work done and they were blaming users. I heard one story about a dealer that got entire truck load of speakers where EVERY speaker was defective out of the box.

That said, I might consider one of their mixers, especially a small inexpensive one like this. I wouldn't buy the Behringer equivalent. I had one and ended up throwing it away when it failed on me. Before it completely failed, it developed serious channel bleed. Behringer mixers are well known for being of questionable build quality even more so than Behringer overall IMO.

Brands I would go for that sell smaller mixers would be Yamaha MG series, Soundcraft (but I believe they quit making their smallest desk mixers), Peavey PV series mixers and Allen & Heath Zed series. Of those, I would be more inclined to be happy getting a Soundcraft or Allen & Heath, then Yamaha, then Peavey. You won't find XLR outs on the very smallest mixers I don't think. Last time I looked, they don't get added until you go up one or two models where there are roughly 4 mic inputs. The 1/4" outs are all balanced however.

As far as the iPod goes, use two mic channels and one of these...
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=42738
They have different lengths too. The dock connector is far superior to a 1/8" TRS.

To connect a computer, use an audio interface via USB. Again it will be far superior. Which audio interface would depend on what you're using it for and your budget. I use an M-Audio MobilePre for non-DJ work and there's one built into my Denon DN-HD2500 controller. If you are planning to use an interface for DJ work, you need to get one specifically designed for that. The least expensive one I would buy would be the Native Instruments Audio 2. The Audio 2 comes with full version Traktor Pro 2 which is a heck of a bargain if you ask me assuming you would use the software. Even without the software, it's a decent interface for the price. You would need something else though if you want the headphone jack or additional channels.

Johnnotestine
11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I already own an Allen & Heath ZED 12FX. It is a great mixer, but I want something super portable.

Out of everything you listed, Peavey looks like the only one that makes a compact mixer.http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/johnnotestine/PV6_catalog_shot-f0941487fa73fb4e2e5895d1a46f1aa8.jpg Would you buy this over the Mackie? They seem to be about the same price.

Estacy
11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
that mackie doesn't have XLR out, but balanced Jack, so really works about the same.

sss18734
11-11-2012, 01:51 PM
that mackie doesn't have XLR out, but balanced Jack, so really works about the same.

x2. Why do you need XLR's? You can get new wires or use adapters if connections are the issue.

Johnnotestine
11-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't really need XLR outs, it would just save from having to use 1/4" to XLR adapters.

JGeffen
11-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm kind of skeptical saying this because I know about this company's reputation, and Ampnation is an extremely reliable source of information, but I owned the Behringer equivalent (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB502.aspx) and never ever had any problems with it. Maybe I was an exception and not the norm.

ampnation
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't really need XLR outs, it would just save from having to use 1/4" to XLR adapters.

I wouldn't use adapters. I would buy a TRS to XLR-M cable of the desired length.

I'm kind of skeptical saying this because I know about this company's reputation, and Ampnation is an extremely reliable source of information, but I owned the Behringer equivalent (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB502.aspx) and never ever had any problems with it. Maybe I was an exception and not the norm.

Mine was a UB802. I also have a couple of Behringer MX882 rackmount mixer/splitters and they've never had a problem. To be fair, the UB802 was purchased in approximately 2004 and I think Behringer has been improving quality. The MX882's purchased around 2009 might attest to that. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of woe is me stories about people's failed Behringer mixers and very rarely if ever on all the brands I listed.

If you need a testimonial on the Peavey, check in with Al Poulin on these boards. He owns I believe a PV6 or a slightly larger model in the PV line.