PDA

View Full Version : TORONTO: Best Place To Rent Out Gear???

Tektonix
11-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Sup T. :)

Gonna be needing to make a few rentals soon, Im located up in Newmarket (so the closer to me it is the better) But could you guys tell me where the best place is to rent out equipment? I need a sub and a few lights (colourstrip on a t bar and a vue or something). Bassicly just wondering where the most affordable place would be as i dont want my expenses to high :lol: gotta make some money.

Cheers Guys :) Ive dealt with Cosmo Music at Big Mac/Leslie Before just wondering what the other options are

hoff
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
long and mcquade has decent prices for dj gear and sound.

drzinc
11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
You can rent from me..... Long and Mcquade has great rates...

bmorr
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Long & McQuade has horrible prices on their DJ products, but has really competitive prices on their pro audio rentals. I regualrly rent from them whenever I have to do a mobile gig. The speakers will be the cheapest to rent. Lights on the other hand will seriously make a dent on your rental budget. A good laser for teh weekend costs around $30 to rent, comapred to a subwoofer that costs like $10-15.

hoff
11-18-2012, 12:06 PM
CDJ's and mixers from L&M are a lot cheaper to rent than from moog audio, and the prices go way down the longer you rent. as for lighting and stuff, I'm not sure

ampnation
11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Long & McQuade has horrible prices on their DJ products, but has really competitive prices on their pro audio rentals. I regualrly rent from them whenever I have to do a mobile gig. The speakers will be the cheapest to rent. Lights on the other hand will seriously make a dent on your rental budget. A good laser for teh weekend costs around $30 to rent, comapred to a subwoofer that costs like $10-15.

This I just do not understand. How can they make money renting a subwoofer for $10-15? As I understand it, speakers cost MORE in Canada in the U.S. and here, 10% of retail is typical so around $100 give or take per powered sub is typical. Even for cheap $600 subs, $15 is very low and I'm thinking a sub that sells for $600 here would be around $800+ in Canada. So again, how do they make any money with this?

Tektonix
11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks Guys :) Got a great price from L&Q for everything i needed! Great recommendation for sure. :tup:

@ampnation, I guess once they buy it, thats it its payed for. So once its rented X amount of times its payed off and it just all becomes profit from there. Its like that saying about having to spend money to make money sometimes. Usually people will also take it for the week or more than one day to avoid late fees or just to have it for shits and giggles aswell witch they will charge you more but less than a daily rate. So more money for them.

ampnation
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Right, but PA gear breaks. There's also the opportunity cost of your investment funds. If it takes too long to earn back your original investment, and then make a profit, you might be better off sticking the money in the bank. Maybe they rent so much, they operate on high turnover like grocery stores vs. larger margins. I know for the rental business the terminology is probably different, but some of the same principles apply. I know they also have a policy of lowering the purchase price of equipment the more it is rented. In theory, you could rent to own but I'm sure that's not a very good deal. LOL

Unknown DJ
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
This I just do not understand. How can they make money renting a subwoofer for $10-15? As I understand it, speakers cost MORE in Canada in the U.S. and here, 10% of retail is typical so around $100 give or take per powered sub is typical. Even for cheap $600 subs, $15 is very low and I'm thinking a sub that sells for $600 here would be around $800+ in Canada. So again, how do they make any money with this?

Yorkville is there house brand started back in the 60's. So they can rent if for cheaper. They also sell there rented gear. The price goes down every time it is rented.

Hellonewman
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
System Music Warehouse at Whites road / Kingston RD in pickering - ask for Barry. I have been going to them for years!