PDA

View Full Version : Best traktor controller: S4 vs 4TRAK

dirtydutch
02-16-2012, 10:18 AM
In your opinion, which traktor controller will come out on top?

My opinion:

Hardware-wise:
The S4 has been out for some time now and is a perfect 1:1 physical representation of the software, every function in the software is represented on the controller. Even though it is full plastic build, it seems to be holding up so far..

The 4TRAK is coming out, offering superior build quality. Looks professional and less toy like than the S4. Numark has really stepped up theyre game with the NS7, V7, NS6, and now this. Looks like it is built like a tank.

Software-wise, theyre both traktor 2, but different versions?
S4's 1:1 mapping seems ideal. If the S4 were built like the 4TRAK and had xlr outs, it may be the clear choice. Also, numark comes out with new things more frequently than NI, so a 4TRAK may become obsolete faster than the S4?

Bottom line.. The 4TRAK sacrifices some functionality in software in exchange for better more professional build quality.

My Choice: Undecided.. :uhoh:

KLH
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Here are my two-cents.

Let's talk Numark. You mentioned that "Numark has really stepped up theyre game with the NS7, V7, NS6, and now this. Looks like it is built like a tank." IIRC, it was Serato that made them step up their game because of the tight integration with ITCH. Numark's recent products - from say the MixDeck forward - haven't had the same quality that the ITCH hardware has had. Maybe that's changing... and I hope that it does. High quality products - meaning high long-term reliability and durability - are always welcomed by DJs...

Let's talk reality. Shipping > "coming out soon." The S4 has proven itself - assuming that your computer works with it. (Basically, all high-performance DJ apps need to have this assumption stated.) 'Nuff said.

Let's talk 4TRAK and make the assumptions that everything else works well. From what I see, the 4TRAK is a Traktor version of the NS6 plus a revamped NSFX unit added on:

4TRAK:
http://www.numark.com/images/sized/images/product_large/4trak_ortho_lg-624x375.jpg

NS6:
http://www.numark.com/images/sized/images/product_large/ns6_ortho_lrg_13-624x390.jpg

When looking at them like this, the NI version seems to be an inverted color version of the NS6, don't 'cha think?

That's not bad per se, but the 4TRAK doesn't really add anything that the S4 can't already do. While I suppose that you can argue about the "real mixer" of the 4TRAK over the audio-interface approach of the S4, but at-the-end, does it really matter? I personally don't think so... but I'll give the 4TRAK a point for that.

Let's say that you really want to get jiggy and you want to use Traktor's deck C and D for samples. The S4 has you covered. Where are the sample controls on the 4TRAK? Oh, snap! There aren't any... So let's give the S4 a point.

Let's talk software. The S4 has the FULL Traktor Pro v2.0. 4TRAK has Traktor Pro 4TRAK Edition (*cough* sound like Traktor LE *cough*). If you want what the S4 already gives you, you'll need to upgrade. In case you're keeping score, that's another point for the S4.

Does the 4TRAK allow Traktor Scratch to be used? If not, that'd be another point for the S4... but let's continue.

Here's the most important aspect of the S4 versus the 4TRAK: Price. The S4 is generally $900 new. The 4TRAK is $1000... but then if you want the "real" version of Traktor Pro, you'll need to upgrade, which is usually $200. That makes the 4TRAK $1200!!!

Even IF I'm wrong about needing to upgrade to TP, the 4TRAK is STILL more than the S4 and gives you less functionality!

So what's the final score? 1 for 4Trak and 500 for the S4. Maybe I'm slightly off, but you get the point.

If you want to read more about the 4TRAK, check out the spectacular Skratchworx (http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1881).

-KLH

mostapha
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I would never buy an all-in-one controller as my A-rig (considering a really cheap one for house parties the next time it comes up). But the S2 and S4 win hands down based on what I've seen and felt. The only "problem" with them is if the jog wheels aren't good enough for how you want to play, and if that's the case…it's only a few hundred more to go DVS.

malo
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I was gonna make a new thread for the new Reloop controllers coming out (see front page), but since we are already in comparison-mode I'd throw the Terminal Mix 4 into it as well. It looks like Reloop wants to up their game and compete with NI and others for the Hi-End controller market.
I've never owned Reloop equipment and people seemed generally displeased with the quality from the Jockey 2, buttons especially and some on the other hand swear on the Jockey 3.
If I recall correctly the Terminal Mix 4 is $599, so it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the S4/4Trak/MC6000. However you get what you pay for as the saying goes and cheap equipment is usually just that - cheap, so it lacks in one way or the other. So I wonder can it stand up to the S4, the 4Trak and the MC6000?

bheinz63
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
The s4 does not come with full traktor pro 2, it comes wih traktor pro s4. You also have to upgrade to full tp2. And im sure both versions of the software only differ by whag controls are physically on the controller. Both are attempting to be 1:1 hardware/software solutions.

Jason Cerna
02-16-2012, 04:31 PM
The s4 does not come with full traktor pro 2, it comes wih traktor pro s4. You also have to upgrade to full tp2. And im sure both versions of the software only differ by whag controls are physically on the controller. Both are attempting to be 1:1 hardware/software solutions.

the old ones, like mine, came with the s4 software, which entitled you to a free upgrade download. the new ones ship with tp2.

Andrew B
02-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Yes it does.

Phil Noize
02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Yep, that's what I read on NI's website ... http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s4/?page=1745

oliosky
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
The vestax vci400 looks better than both

DYM
02-16-2012, 07:35 PM

VCI-400 Ean Golden Edition from DJTT is a competitor.... I personally have an S4 with a custom skin and am liking it so far, had it for a few months now. I don't like Numark as a brand, the name just screams "amateur" to me.

k4hn
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Yeah I agree, the VCI 400 looks like a better option than either S4/4Trak and it's more portable. Just kind of pricey though.

dirtydutch
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
isn't the VCI400 an ITCH controller?

mostapha
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
No. You're thinking of the 300.

Also, Itch controllers can control other things. It just doesn't work the other way around.

dirtydutch
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
oh, i've just seen the 400 used with ITCH on youtube, never traktor

Andrew B
02-17-2012, 04:14 PM
oh, i've just seen the 400 used with ITCH on youtube, never traktor

It doesn't work with ITCH. At all.

Subjacent
07-20-2012, 08:43 AM
On the surface the VCI-400 it looks like that tank, My first VCI-400 unit arrived and i could not wait to use it, i first used the virtual dj edition software and i must say as far as monitoring goes it was the buisness a mix of cue mixing and headhpone/ PFL monitoring that shook my world perfect in very sense,but my first doubts started while in the mix, midi controls for the monitoring etc stopped functioning as it should, so i had to switch to serato intro.
you could blame it on virtual dj, maybe a combination of the two with failed and mixed up midi messages, But i tended to lean to the VCI-400 being at fualt, as again when using my vestax VCM 600 ableton controller, it would be great for along time and then the same midi message issues would arise, no solution and no fix,then after a reboot of hardware and softaware it may correct itself, it may have taken some time to fix itself, no explainable reason,I came to believe its with the vestax and midi, and their firmware.

So far its been two strikes for vestax and midi, the same also aplies for my VCI-400 to date, when i got my first unit in december 2011 ,After a lot of failed attempts and doing the correct install procedure i might add no fault of my own here,i managed to install the drivers , yet the same setup on my laptop, would not install, months passed no change to my unused laptop exept updates to windows, and it installed, with the exact same methods, maybe a windows update had corrected somthing, it also possibly leaned to their driver and firmware update, but unsure at that time.
but only after a few tests on the VCI-400 did i find that my jogs had a unreasuring rubbing i just could not get the tension screwed fitting to fix this and i could feel a rubbing and kind clicking and grinding sensation, you could probally compare this to the feel of the top plate on the NI S4 top plate that feels horible to uses, only this was coming from within the vci-400 spindel and mechanisims, it felt like i had worn it out/damaged it, but the unit was new and hardly used, it was sent to vestax, they sent this back fixed they said, but as it happened they had not fixed this, eventaully they agreed to replace the unit 2nd time round,so i eventaully got me 2nd VCI-400.
I got this and used a couple of short times with serato intro and it seemed fine, i then decided to put this away in the box until i could buy myself traktor pro 2, about 2-3 months later i got Traktor, and tested the set up a few time, it worked okay,I decided to do a set one night at home and the midi messages went pair shaped again so to speak.I had to go back over to the limited serato intro.
Anyhow here comes the new VCI-400 problem i encounterd vai unit number 2,again hardly any usage
exept some light testing and a few sets at weekend, fader A went crazy on me it would not fade to the top it irratically bounced up and down until eventually settling where ever it decided, if i slowley moved the fader to the top sometime it would settle after a slight wobble, i then decided i may still want to do a set and get some use in the meantime, i went to the back panel and moved fader A over so it became D although i would have to miss out on those functions related to fader D. i was also a became suspect of the vestax build quality a second time after my jog issue, the main faders are really cheap and nasty like one of those past anolog mixers by vestax i owned, back in the day i could not afford the pcm 17a, vestax a lot later around the mid 90's they brought out a cheaper version of the 17a, a nice looking metalic blue one lol, i had this about two weeks and fader A broke, like it had been warn out, without any effort what so ever, the build of the VCI-400 main faders are very similar.the faders come in groups of two, and are so tight to get in, you will be hard pushed to get them back in etc, without forcing the LED strip up threw the caseing, bad design under the hood and Cheap components i am tending to think.
And i have played devils advocate and asked vestax at three times about availability and purchasing replacement faders,No joy!!!! on this.

It took a lot of chasing with no solution from vestax,and too cut along story short, just as i started to get better communication after quoting the sales of good act to the store to then get on vestax case, I decided to try and help again by testing with all the other dj software i had, i had the same fader issue so it was not DJ software related, and what do you know fader C went the same way, again next to no usage,So i went on with the sales of goods act, dont get me wrong the store did the best they could.while waiting on a answer and only hours before the answer, i had decided to do a system clean/clean install of windows on my PC , as i have too much junk on my production side, and i have not been able to install the VCI-400-drivers or fimware, absolute no reason why not, did all checks USB cables etc, so then i went over to my laptop setup that worked fine a few weeks back, and i then get the will not recognise this device error message, what more can i say, i will never touch anything midi related vestax wise or trust the build quality.
i await on august and my Numark 4trak that will now replace the VCI-400, i won my case lol, no solution as of yesterday, lets hope this new vci-400 version 2 firmwhere just out today it would seem helps any other in my situation.

I look forward to my 4trak, maybe not the PFL Monitoring or seperate Led display per deck etc ,time will tell if the PFL will suffice alone. i have used many numark anolog mixer of old with double function led for level meter/PFL,maybe this can be added to the 4Trak via firmware,no biggy.the 4trak sure as hell looks reassuringly real lol, and intergration with traktor looks tight, by the way some have mentioned around the internet about no remix deck support on the 4trak,think again their are youtube vids that show otherwise, maybe not as full potentional as the NI traktor F1, but still sending sample live and triggering ,and this looks really simple to do,although iam just not sure about switching between all the pad slots hirachy in the traktor remix decks, But for me i have a really good feeling on the 4trak.

Subjacent
07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
By the way Hi :)

KLH
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Subjacent, welcome to DJF!

I'm clearly biased towards the S4, so I'll just step back and let others chime in on the VCI-400 and 4Trak.

-KLH

kyle133
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
I am waiting on my 4trak! Will post up a review on the controller when it comes in :) Has anyone else actually used the 4trak?

Subjacent
07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Subjacent, welcome to DJF!

I'm clearly biased towards the S4, so I'll just step back and let others chime in on the VCI-400 and 4Trak.

-KLH

Thanks fore the welcome,
S4 Another controller I had for a brief while,the gain indentation was a very big killer for me, but each to their own, we all have our loves and hates, but our loss is another man's win win as they say :)
what ever works best for the individual,
by the way has this forum been around since 1983 / the man KLH :) VIP since '83 yeah ? if so will be good to chat with others that have been around the mill like myself,will make a change for me being on a similar wave length.

KLH
07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
we all have our loves and hates, but our loss is another man's win win as they say :)
what ever works best for the individual
Amen, brother. Amen.

by the way has this forum been around since 1983
Ummm... No. DJF v1.0 was made in the summer of 2003 (IIRC) and was kidnapped and brainwashed into a country music forum from October 2011 until February 2012. The admins came to their senses - by running out of beer - and created DJF v2, which is wayyy better, IMHO.

Anyway, there are a LOT of knowledgeable people on here who are very helpful. Of course, there are some trolls too, but even they aren't too bad.

I will say watch out. This forum is more addictive than crack.

-KLH

Subjacent
07-21-2012, 04:20 AM
Amen, brother. Amen.

Ummm... No. DJF v1.0 was made in the summer of 2003 (IIRC) and was kidnapped and brainwashed into a country music forum from October 2011 until February 2012. The admins came to their senses - by running out of beer - and created DJF v2, which is wayyy better, IMHO.

Anyway, there are a LOT of knowledgeable people on here who are very helpful. Of course, there are some trolls too, but even they aren't too bad.

I will say watch out. This forum is more addictive than crack.

-KLH

I should have thought about that really :lol: 1983, the day of the BBC Acorn computer and commadore games console :lol:, and internet was only very very young, so :uhoh: on my 1983 comment what was I thinking.

contra
07-21-2012, 10:16 AM
After seeing Blaze's review on the 4Trak on djbooth.net, I'm very impressed! Especially since he used terms like "the best build quality he's ever seen on a dj controlller" and "the best Traktor controller he's ever used" I'd probably pick it over the S4. Not only Blaze, but it's got stellar reviews by other dj sites too.
I like the layout better, it's more spread out, unlike a lot of people I actually like the bar at the top with the fx controls, I love the huge jogs, etc.

kyle133
07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
After seeing Blaze's review on the 4Trak on djbooth.net, I'm very impressed! Especially since he used terms like "the best build quality he's ever seen on a dj controlller" and "the best Traktor controller he's ever used" I'd probably pick it over the S4. Not only Blaze, but it's got stellar reviews by other dj sites too.
I like the layout better, it's more spread out, unlike a lot of people I actually like the bar at the top with the fx controls, I love the huge jogs, etc.

:tup:

Nicadraus
07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
4trak FTW! :tup:

@kyle133: Show us some pics and a mini review once your 4trak arrives. :)

kyle133
07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Not a problem! Music shop is saying friday hopefully. I can't wait :)

Subjacent
07-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Each time is look into info on this 4 trak I get even more excited, its been a very long time since I felt this way, it reminds me of the anticipation of when I got my first technics decks, and the various new analogue mixers that evolved along the way over the years.
I have felt this hype so often with the dj controllers and then felt so gutted after buying them, this somehow feels so much different, I actually have that technics 1200/1210 feeling all over again, Roll on the end of this month, each day is now going way too slow :cry: :lol:

kyle133
07-27-2012, 12:18 AM
It's here.. :dance: Review and pictures coming this weekend.

Nicadraus
07-27-2012, 01:48 AM

Nice! Post them up soon. Congrats! :)

Subjacent
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM

you Lucky bugger,
another week for me,
I too look forward to your review.

kyle133
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
I've been practicing with my 4trak since Thursday and been having a blast. It is unreal to be able to change and mix music the way you desire to. Djing is an amazing hobby and am looking forward to the learning curve :) Here's my thoughts on the Numark 4trak

First impressions:

The controller is well packed inside the double boxed package and wrapped. Great care was taken by Numark to make sure the 4trak survives shipping. Once you pickup this controller you know you bought a high quality product. I would say it weighs about 15-20lbs. I have no experience with any other djing equipment but all the faders and knobs feel just as high quality as the controller looks. The cross fader, platters, and pitch faders feel excellent and are the best part of the controller. The software for the drivers (ASIO drivers provided on disk) and Traktor 2 Numark 4trak edition is in the box and ready for you to install. Overall first impressions were excellent.

Setup and controllers functions:

Here's where I had a few problems from the get go with the 4trak. I installed the drivers and Traktor as instructed and fired up everything. My FX lights did not light up when on and Traktor would not allow me to get to the beat griding function on any of the decks. I did some research and seen that other people were having the problems with the FX indicator lights. That was a relief because I thought I got a defective controller. Also the search knob to find tracks would not work half the time. I got frustrated, uninstalled and re installed the drivers and software. This fixed all my issues with the mapping with Traktor except the FX lights. I found this website that walked me through the setup : http://www.noterepeat.com/articles/setup-and-configuration/34-numark-4trak-setup-tips-and-faq

This took care of all my issues and now my controller works as it should. My one disappointment with the controller is the version of Traktor that the 4trak ships with. The 4trak edition of Traktor is very limited in terms of FX's and preferences menu functions. I will be upgrading software very soon :)

My only other gripe with the controller is the diameter of the control knobs. It seems like no matter how small of an amount you turn these knobs, it makes a huge difference in your sound. The gain knobs are bad for this and the volume jumps a ton. Is is possible to replace these knobs with a tad larger ones? Everything else functions extremely well. The EQ itself sounds amazing. You can get a very warm sound out of the 4trak with your music. The play/pause, cue, hot cues and loop buttons are very on point. When you want the track to start, loop, or cue once you hit these buttons, it is instant once you press. I was having problems dropping tracks in at the right time with just using my laptop while practicing with a demo version of Traktor. I was pleased to find out this issue disappeared when I started using the controller.

Overall impressions:

After figuring out my issues with the 4trak, i'm glad I settled on the controller and software I picked. Money WELL spent. I can't speak for anything else out there with my limited experience but I feel that Numark provided you with a product that is worth what you paided for. I played a set for my family last night and had a ton of fun :)

Pictures coming soon! Can't find my camera lol!

Thanks for reading guys!

Subjacent
07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your mini review,
the only thing that puts me off is you mentioning about the width of the rotary in relation to the Curves for the gain etc, the gain and EQ etc. is most important too me, its an area that is constantly manipulated, so hoping this you mention is nothing major, more a user related thing.
As usual the build sounds spot on in your review, so 1/4 of the battle won their.

Nicadraus
07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Nice quick review kyle. Glad you're happy with your purchase. Congrats! :tup:

kyle133
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice quick review kyle. Glad you're happy with your purchase. Congrats! :tup:

Thanks bud!

EDIT: The control knob issue was a problem in my Traktor settings when a song loaded into the deck. My bad lol! Makes me even more happier with my controller :D

Nicadraus
07-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks bud!

EDIT: The control knob issue was a problem in my Traktor settings when a song loaded into the deck. My bad lol! Makes me even more happier with my controller :D

Show us your set up pics and vids in action. :)

Subjacent
08-02-2012, 04:10 AM
My 4Trak came late yesterday, not had time yet to check out the integration with Traktor, as still got to sort out the best tsi file for myself as their are a few available on the internet.
But on just first impression and build is absolutely Solid more or less has to be the best in this area next to the new terminal mix controllers. Overall I just can not fault it, less a few little picks, one being size, I am fine with it and prefer to have my hands on gear that does not feel like a toy, but even so once you see it in the flesh its a big beast, so may/almost will, prove a problem in the DJ booths etc., but I am prepared to worry about that later, as this controller is all that, if you want a smaller controller that is built like a rock then next best option is the re-loop terminal mix range, personally I think the 4trak and the terminal mix4 have the market pinned down now, the only contenders after I have tested a fair few others, if you don't mind a cheaper plastic feel then its the s2 & s4 in third place.

But getting back too the 4trak, the only other small gripe is the knobs could have been just a tad more spaced,but no big deal, I will give some more thoughts on the in-depth workings with traktor, looking forward to checking out the split cue and monitoring sections to then see if I will need the customised tsi that turns the strip search led into pre fade listening meters / PFL, or the split cue and monitoring levels can be balanced/judged just with your hearing.

Overall first visual and touch assessment, its is 100% the controller I have been waiting for since about 2005 lol, I truly have the equivalent to technics 1210/1200's and Pioneer CDJ or dennon DN-S3700 feeling, I reckon its the controller that is equal to those in its own rite,it well deserves to be industry standard.
Sometime next week I will give you the more in-depth technical usage info as supposed to the limited basic reviews out their.

bkim921
08-06-2012, 02:41 AM
thx for the review! i went to GC to check it out.. great looking piece.. very solid..
my personal preference is that the line faders have more resistance than the crossfaders.. ( feeling of the mc6000 ) i was a little disappointed that the line faders didnt have much more resistance though..

any thoughts on the mixdeck quad?

GC didn't have a Quad on display..

Subjacent
08-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Yes that was another small thing that came to mind, I also prefer the main faders with a little resistance, but on a similar comparison to the very similar faders on the Novation twitch, at least the 4trak faders do not catch the case or at least they feel like they do, they are quite jerky to use, So thumbs up for the nice glide on the 4trak faders, even if lacking that resistance, they are still quite nice to use.
The pitch faders on the 4trak are a really stiff, probably the stiffest I have ever used, but once they loosen up with some use as they will, I think they will do just fine, should eventually be perfect for manual beat mixing and riding the pitch fader to lock the beats inn also.

Archon
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
id go with the 4TRAK, the pure facct that it does basically the same thing without looking like a child's toy makes me want it more. you might look like a real DJ with that.

KLH
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
you might look like a real DJ with that.
Lolwut? You're concerned about what you look like? I'm too busy being a real DJ than being concerned with what others think...

-KLH

contra
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I've just been looking around online and you can find the 4trak for the same price as the s4, now to save up :)

kyle133
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Sorry guys ive been practicing alot and forgot I promised you guys a picture of my setup! Been really enjoying my 4trak. I can't believe how easy it is to forget how long you have been in a mix! Here's a pic I took after I was done practicing tonight.

contra
08-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Sorry guys ive been practicing alot and forgot I promised you guys a picture of my setup! Been really enjoying my 4trak. I can't believe how easy it is to forget how long you have been in a mix! Here's a pic I took after I was done practicing tonight.

:tup:

popong
08-07-2012, 04:33 AM
@kyle, is there a way for you to try out S4 and make a comparison?

Subjacent
08-07-2012, 05:19 AM
@kyle, is there a way for you to try out S4 and make a comparison?

I have had a S4 used it for about a month before sending it back, its cheap and is one of the worst I have ever used feel wise, the jogs are awful too, and the gains are useless as they have indentation all round so are not really practical for precise gain movement, and it does not come close to the feel you get from the 4trak, maybe a few things more integrated with the S4, but nothing I have noticed or missed or could not be set up on the 4trak, obviously even the s4 still needs the f1 for the remix decks, Some people may love the S4 as its NI own, but is don't think that stands for squat.
until you see and use the 4trak you will probably never understand, if you want a solid tradiional dj feel with every aspect well built and workable without silly double functions like I mention about the use of the S4 gain indentation, all is at hand with the 4trak nothing gets in the way, This is the best buy I have had in a very long time and I know it will last me like a pair of Technics 1210's, iam 100% sold on this.

Here is a list of controllers I have use and a rough score but nothing comes close to the 4Trak: like I say if you want a smaller option in second it has to be the re-loop Terminal mix 4 I have tested in store.

1_Akai APC20.
2_Akai APC40 X2.
3_Quite a few of the faderfox modules.
4_Behringer BCD 2000 & 3000.
5_Vestax VCM 600 one of the best less the midi communication issues on times, sadly the 8 FX pots are not encoders and their is no soundcard, buts still a good 80% becuase of build and feel, great faders etc.
6_Piar of Denon DNSC2000_Midi command issue with traktor, 90%.
7_Novation twitch_Great toy good pads, bad faders and knobs with too much friction, 75% only for what it can do, but effects for serato software are lame and let it down and fader fx system are ill though out, i used to set up my own fader FX with the Vestax VCM600 and ableton, so I know what can be achieved if implemented correctly.
8_Traktor S4 75%.
9_Vestax VCI-400_ better build on the surface than S4 but quite poor midi messaging that will fail to comunicate on times and many inner build issues,cheap faders,jogs will break sooner rather than later and probably more to go wrong than the S4 overall, 80% just becuase its still feels better than the S4 if you are lucky enough not to develop issue
10_4trak_ only main gripe touch/search strip should be more like the novation twitch, yet to see if this is going to be as acurate, 97% goodness.

kyle133
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
^ there's an experienced opinion right there :) No I cannot make comments on the S4 as I have limited experience with the 4trak and djing in general. Im pleased to find out that all the opinions on the 4trak have come from biased dj's who seem to hate on Numark as a bed room dj setup and nothing more.

Oh I seen a comment about the pitch faders feeling very stiff. Give them a couple weeks and you will be very happy with them. The line and pitch faders and knobs are nicely broken in and feel awesome on my controller! I love this thing and i'm sure anyone else considering this controller will feel the same :)

kyle133
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Here's one more picture I took during the day for you guys :) My monitor speakers are just a simple set of home stereo Panasonic's. I've had them for almost 15 years. They sound so warm and broken in, I love em to death!

bkim921
08-08-2012, 05:10 PM
4Trak is so nice! I'm just having a difficult time choosing between all the controllers that are out there. lol

Subjacent
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I do feel a little harsh on the S4 taking the plastic feeling build and a few point out of the equation,
I think I was a little hard on it overall, you could Probably push the score on this to 80-85% from a practical sense or even a very high score
It just that I am really picky and it will suffice for many users, But the Price for that build quality is just ridiculous and brings this score way down,also it looks nice but only until it constantly shows every finger mark you consistently have to keep cleaning it down. Best solution overall peeps-to save my Biased dislike after using the S4 ,even if you have to travel 100 miles by a bus etc. to check out the build quality of all your Options, then you are better off doing that, if its overpriced their once you have checked it in the flesh so to speak you can always then find it cheaper on-line, at these prices, don't just take our word. Its what you feel happy with, yes listen to the technical talk, but cosmetics and build can only be tested in the flesh., and judged by yourself as a worthy deal,never settle on one without testing the others, unless off course you are 100% Convinced. If like me on times I find myself a nice bit of cash to spend although realistically I am not very well off, and Like my choice of the 4Trak, this could well be one of the most important hobbyist/semi professional or professional decisions you have had to make or will do for some time, so take care and be wise.

Subjacent
08-08-2012, 06:18 PM
I do feel a little harsh on the S4 taking the plastic feeling build and a few point out of the equation,
I think I was a little hard on it overall, you could Probably push the score on this to 80-85% from a practical sense or even a very high score
It just that I am really picky and it will suffice for many users, But the Price for that build quality is just ridiculous and brings this score way down,also it looks nice but only until it constantly shows every finger mark you consistently have to keep cleaning it down. Best solution overall peeps-to save my Biased dislike after using the S4 ,even if you have to travel 100 miles by a bus etc. to check out the build quality of all your Options, then you are better off doing that, if its overpriced their once you have checked it in the flesh so to speak you can always then find it cheaper on-line, at these prices, don't just take our word. Its what you feel happy with, yes listen to the technical talk, but cosmetics and build can only be tested in the flesh., and judged by yourself as a worthy deal, if like me on times I find myself a nice bit of cash to spend. but realistically I am not very well off, and Like my choice of the 4Trak, this could well be one of the most important hobbyist/semi professional or professional decisions you have had to make or will do for some time, so take care and be wise.

ksandvik
08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Me thinks S4 is the Stratocaster of DJ controllers. You will have fun with it.

Coley
08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
I want the 4trak soooo bad! :worship:

Subjacent
08-09-2012, 04:40 AM
I want the 4trak soooo bad! :worship:

Well if that is the case,hold out until then, don't be impatient although easier said than done :P
A few times in the past I have settled on cheaper options for equipment out of impatience and have regretted it, a hard lesson that always keep coming back to bite us who may struggle for cash, just to get some equipment and get up and running,so you can be the man or the Gal,showing off too your friends etc. :D
better to wait 6 month or whatever for the Don than to settle on anything less, my golden rule is follow your inner hunch its normally always right if its niggling away at you then their is something in it, don't get sidetracked with alternatives, I have wasted some money over the years that way,I know this is a corny saying, but its true: patience is a virtue ;)

djskippNYC
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
VCI-400 Ean Golden Edition from DJTT is a competitor.... I personally have an S4 with a custom skin and am liking it so far, had it for a few months now. I don't like Numark as a brand, the name just screams "amateur" to me.

I know each of us have our likes and dislikes, I have been in this game since 1975 when you only had TT and no beat counters. I have used a lot of equipment and I must say Numark has come a long way, I own the NS6 with the serato itch and I own the VCI-400, I did get the NS6 to get rid of the VCI. There is no comparison the VCI is my opinion is the Amateur grade, the NS6 speaks for it self, a very nice piece of equipment.