PDA

View Full Version : PDX-2000: Grinding sound when stopping a record by hand?

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Every time I stop a record with my hand on one of my PDX-2000s it starts vibrating a bit, and makes an audible grating sound.
The platter is still spinning (as it should be) and there's no issue with playback, it only does this when I manipulate the vinyl.
What should I do?

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Hmmm, and now it's not doing it. Do I just need to lubricate the motor and if so what should I use?

Estacy
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I believe the PDXs have quite a rough platter, that might be the problem

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
The weird thing is one of them does it and the other doesn't. I don't remember it rumbling before either :\
Any suggestions on lube?

Interracial Tea
02-16-2012, 11:58 AM
That's weird. I'm having the same issue, except it's with my STR8.150s.

Check this post out - http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?278-The-Non-Technics-Thread&p=4696&viewfull=1#post4696

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Did you get yours sorted at all? I called Vestax CS today but due to my poor sleep schedule I wasn't conscious when they called back :lol:
Also bumping for suggestions from any previous PDX-2000 owners.

Also is this a good lubricant for the spindle?
It's called "Liquid Bearings" http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-synthetic-turntable-oil-Vestax-READ-THIS-/330515973924?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item4cf4498724#ht_1657wt_1396
Or something like this? Technics Lubricant Part No. SFW0010 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lube-oil-Technics-1200-Turntable-Lubricating-Oil-Oil-Technics-Lube-oil-/380407180179?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D 120488065973%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D63839483989727374 42#ht_500wt_922

HBBoogie
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I had this same problem with my Stanton St-150's. I found out it was just from using warped records on the non-slippery sides.

Usually, a warped record will have a side that is slippery while the other side tends to have a lot of grip. Spinning the record back or just stopping the record with your hand can cause the record to vibrate/make noise because its trying to gain traction on the platter. Also, not all warped records do this. It seems like it has to be warped just right to get this effect.

Try flipping your vinyl over or using different records and see what happens.

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow HedBangerBoogie you were totally right, I think. Oddly enough I'm not getting issues even with the TC record that was causing the issue however...
Also the table that I thought was screwed up seems to have more resistance/torque. During Timecode playback on a track at 140pm it plays at a constant 139.80 +/- 4
There is also a drastic difference in torque between the tables. Where as one table I can backspin/cue with relative ease the other I have to fight against to stop my record. It also seems to take a bit longer for it to get up to playing speed, but not an absurd amount, even with the Start control set to immediate start.

Would this mean it just needs some lubricant so the spindle can spin easier? I know I keep going back to this but I bought the tables secondhand and I don't think they've ever been maintained in their lifespan. I had to buy a DeoxIt pen to clean out all the contacts, there was quit a bit of funk in the tonearm/headshell connection as well as the RCAs.

HBBoogie
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Would this mean it just needs some lubricant so the spindle can spin easier? I know I keep going back to this but I bought the tables secondhand and I don't think they've ever been maintained in their lifespan. I had to buy a DeoxIt pen to clean out all the contacts, there was quit a bit of funk in the tonearm/headshell connection as well as the RCAs.

I would just buy new time code records if it really bothered me that much. No need to put any kind of lube on the spindle.

You can always try fixing them yourself using the guides from youtube. Just search for "how to fix warped records". People tend to have mixed results when using those youtube guides. I've always just dealt with using warped records or bought new ones.

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah but the TT has more torque/resistance than the other one no matter what record is on it timecode or not :\

HBBoogie
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah but the TT has more torque/resistance than the other one no matter what record is on it timecode or not :\

Even if you flip the record over?

The reason I ask is because warped records can make a turntable seem like one has more torque than the other. When you have a warped record it is bowl shaped. You might not be able to see it but it is slightly convex. This makes the record slippery on one side and have more grip on the other side. If you were to have a warped record on one turntable and a record that is perfectly flat on the other turntable, one would seem like it has more torque that the other.

As for your turntable running @ 139.80 on a 140 bpm track. I'm not sure. It could be something to do with your ultra pitch. Your TT's have ultra pitch dont they? I

mr.smashy
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Every time I stop a record with my hand on one of my PDX-2000s it starts vibrating a bit, and makes an audible grating sound.
The platter is still spinning (as it should be) and there's no issue with playback, it only does this when I manipulate the vinyl.
What should I do?

Please check the anti-vibration modification (en) document available here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/vestax/pdx-2000.shtml

There is a serial number range of affected units.

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Mashy, I'll try that. and Hed Banger, this is even with Quartz Lock set with any and ALL of my records. I know they can't all be warped, they hardly get played and I store them religiously.

EDIT: Does know need to desolder to do that modification? Serial numbers of my table are: 12U11XXXX and OYU11XXXX. the OYU one is the one in question.

You guys have been very kind in trying to help a poor n00b troubleshoot! I was very worried I paid 400 bucks for nothing

HBBoogie
02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
MAshy, I'll try that. and Hed Banger, this is even with Quartz Lock set with any and ALL of my records. I know they can't all be warped, they hardly get played and I store them religiously.

what? your pitch being off? If your pitch is off you may need to clean the pitch fader or replace it.

from what i read here

What should I do?

and here

There is also a drastic difference in torque between the tables. Where as one table I can backspin/cue with relative ease the other I have to fight against to stop my record. It also seems to take a bit longer for it to get up to playing speed, but not an absurd amount, even with the Start control set to immediate start.

It just sounded like you had warped records.

HStanford1
02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Sorry about confusing you, as I'm testing this I'm just reporting you what I'm noticing! Okay so I've been sitting here tried a variety of things to see what's up.

I tested this with no record on the tables in order to eliminate the possibility of a warped record. Here are the results:
The extra "torque" is due to one table having a slicker platter than the other, this makes one slipmat spin more freely when manipulated by hand. I'll be putting wax paper on the table to slick it up a bit.
The exact same table ONLY rumbles at 33RPM, when my hand stops the slipmat. At 45RPM, there is no rumble when stopping the record by hand. If anyone has an idea as to why there is rumble at a certain RPM, let me know!
The table in question also does not fall into the Applicable Serial Numbers for the Anti-Vibration modification and has been manufactured at a later date, as far as I can tell.

HStanford1
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Solution! I just got the great idea to switch the platter and try and see if the rumbling would stop, so I popped the other platter on and VOILA!
No more rumble. Funnily enough the platter that was causing the table to rumble works fine on the other, so I am very much relieved that to tell you both tables are operating fine now!
Also going to try to give the pitch faders a cleaning, if anyone has a link for replacements though (just in case!) I would thoroughly appreciate it. +1 rep to all posters, bless!