PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Dxr's noisy?

DJ Nonsense
11-05-2012, 03:34 AM
At a local store I noticed a loud buzzing sound on the Yamaha 12's and 8's display. Is this normal?

Incognito
11-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Sounds like they where suffering from a ground loop problem (more then likely due to the shops electronic or dimmable display lights). However it shouldn't be a problem if you was to buy them & if you ever encountered a ground loop issue at a gig or home there are a number of steps that can be taken to rectify this situation.

windspeed36
11-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Bad power, bad cable, bad signal or any combination of these will cause the issue.

Al Poulin
11-05-2012, 07:30 AM
They do produce some noise, which is normal; but also fan noise since the cooling fans are active 100% of the time. Unlikely that these would be noticeable in a store though...

Al

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Sounds like they where suffering from a ground loop problem (more then likely due to the shops electronic or dimmable display lights). However it shouldn't be a problem if you was to buy them & if you ever encountered a ground loop issue at a gig or home there are a number of steps that can be taken to rectify this situation.Ground looping is a low frequency hum, buzzing indicates a high frequency interference, usually cheap dimmers or flourescents. But as cheap dimmers and flourescents are common in venues the OP should see if other brands in the same shop have the same problem. If they do there's no reason to avoid the Yammies, if they don't it's prudent to do so.

DJ Nonsense
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Ground looping is a low frequency hum, buzzing indicates a high frequency interference, usually cheap dimmers or flourescents. But as cheap dimmers and flourescents are common in venues the OP should see if other brands in the same shop have the same problem. If they do there's no reason to avoid the Yammies, if they don't it's prudent to do so.

I only notice it with the yamahas

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I only notice it with the yamahasYamaha usually gets it right, maybe this is an exception.

Sam Whitman
11-06-2012, 12:29 AM
I own DXR's, never had an issue like that.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I own DXR's, never had an issue like that.
Well, there's always the idiot factor, which in this case could be a store employee plugging them in to an outlet with a defective ground. You'd think that they'd realize that buzzing isn't a good sales feature and they'd find and fix the cause, but maybe that's above their pay grade.

jayhwk
11-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Well, there's always the idiot factor, which in this case could be a store employee plugging them in to an outlet with a defective ground. You'd think that they'd realize that buzzing isn't a good sales feature and they'd find and fix the cause, but maybe that's above their pay grade.

Maybe they have low commission on Yamaha products...

I simply don't go to big retail stores anymore. If you have a good relationship with a locally owned dealer like a sound install contractor, they will often be more than happy to set up a demo for products they work with often. They probably have the gear moving through their shop anyway.

azarraga053
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Also with local store displays, the have a mixer connected to tons of speakers to A/B them. Multiplies the chances of having a bad ground, bad wire, etc.

MotifX
02-14-2014, 12:19 AM
At a local store I noticed a loud buzzing sound on the Yamaha 12's and 8's display. Is this normal?

I have two of Yamaha's DXR-10,s and they ARE noisy. Living in a small town, I bought two on reviews, and got burnt. They have a 60 cycle hum, when using unbalanced inputs. Not sure what the fix is, no help from Yamaha. I suppose some hum eliminators, not sure if I want to keep them.
MotifX

conanski
02-14-2014, 09:48 AM
I have two of Yamaha's DXR-10,s and they ARE noisy. No they aren't you're doing something wrong.

They have a 60 cycle hum, when using unbalanced inputs. Not sure what the fix is, See I knew it. The fix is to buy a real mixer with balanced outputs.

Al Poulin
02-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Why did you get burnt? These are some of the best sounding and performing actives out there at their price point. This is the first complaint I read of this type, so I wouldn’t be too quick to blame Yamaha considering the high number of very happy DXR owners out there. I own two pairs, and the most noticeable noise comes from the cooling fans. Not something you would ever notice at a gig though. It could indeed be your mixer or the way you are connecting your system.

si!
02-14-2014, 10:41 AM
I can also confirm that they are not noisy speakers. I have them hooked up via DJM (balanced) --> DSR118W --> DXR12. Crystal clear, just some quiet fan noise which is undetectable once you play music.

The problem is likely the unbalanced outs on the mixer - plug a MP3 player or phone (on battery power) directly into the RCA input and see if you still get noise.

MotifX
02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
No they aren't you're doing something wrong.

See I knew it. The fix is to buy a real mixer with balanced outputs.

How does one get balanced from unbalanced outputs?
Help me, what mixer will take and unbalanced input, and take out the hum from Yamaha's famous synth MotifXF6?
Yamaha has not returned emails, calls, when telling them about using both of their products together.:(
Transformer type balancers are touted as the solution, but they are not. They only uncouple the signal.
Maybe the burn was the synth, with UNbalenced outputs.

conanski
02-14-2014, 03:23 PM
How does one get balanced from unbalanced outputs? Are you saying you're not using a mixer at all?

If not a simple isolator like the Behringer HD400 will do the trick.

Evil Steve
02-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Balanced versus unbalanced only makes a difference when there's some extraneous signal induced on the wires carrying the signal you're trying to amplify.
A balanced signal is just two parallel signal paths run with a 180 degree inversion on one of the signals. When both signals hit the receiving end, one of them is inverted back. Any noise induced on the cable goes away because of the inversion at the receiving end. It doesn't matter if the signal switches from 'balanced' to 'unbalanced' at points along the signal path, as long as the noise is not being induced in the unbalanced area. As long as unbalanced runs are kept as short as possible and kept away from sources of induction, the buzzing should be minimized.

If you're picking up a buzz from a ground loop, you must find what component is causing it, and eliminate the cause.

Sometimes equipment just makes noise when you get it, due to some internal problem.
Yamaha gear is generally respected because these problems aren't often caused by the Yamaha gear, and when they are, Yamaha is diligent in making the problems go away. I'm a little surprised they haven't responded to you.
Hopefully, your problem will get resolved soon.
In the meantime, you might want to see if you can isolate the cause of your problems by making your signal chain as short and as simple as you can, then adding components until the problem shows up. Once you find the problem component, or determine that it actually is a problem within your speakers, you'll be that much farther ahead of the curve.