PDA

View Full Version : Noob w/ Some Noob Questions

LostAbyss
02-16-2012, 02:14 AM
1. I’m thinking of buying the S4 and using traktor pro 2. Do I need scratch pro 2 or is that just for turn tables? What’s the major difference between the two?

2. What is time coded vinyl?

3. Is their a program I can use to figure out if my songs on itunes are mp3 or wav? Also is their a program I can use to convert all my music to wav?

4. What is the best dj pool, in your opinion?

5. What programs do you use to create mashups, if any?

Sigma
02-16-2012, 02:50 AM
2. Instead of the vinyl actually having the music pressed in the groove, there's a time signal instead. It sounds like a high pitched whine if you play it as you'd play a normal record. What it does is tell the software (Serato, Traktor or whatever) the exact position of the needle on the record and that translates to the position in the digital audio file that you're playing, so it enables you to mix and scratch MP3s, WAVs etc.

3. Just look at the file extension. Converting to WAV does not alter the quality, so it's pointless to convert an MP3 to a WAV file, for example. Check the encoding guide I wrote HERE (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1025-Encoding-guide-(lossy-lossless-MP3-FLAC-bitrates-tagging)) for an explanation of why that is, and also some good practices when it comes to audio encoding.

LostAbyss
02-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Sigma, really helped out. I read your thread (which was helpful BTW), but I still don't quite understand how converting an mp3 file to wav WON'T make it sound better considering you're decompressing the file. Could you please elaborate?

Sigma
02-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the reply Sigma, really helped out. I read your thread (which was helpful BTW), but I still don't quite understand how converting an mp3 file to wav WON'T make it sound better considering you're decompressing the file. Could you please elaborate?
Sure......

Because MP3 is lossy compression, when the MP3 is created in the first place, audio information is stripped out of the original source file in order to shrink it down and this audio information is permanently lost. Therefore, converting the MP3 back to WAV does not restore this lost information, so you end up with a WAV file that is essentially identical in quality to the MP3 used to create it.

Think of it a bit like picture compression. If you take a high quality uncompressed bitmap file and convert it to a very compressed JPEG, you can immediately see the artefacts and "blockiness" in the image, particularly if you zoom in. If you then convert that JPEG back to a bitmap file again, it still looks like crap because JPEG is a lossy compression format and visual information was permanently removed from the file when you first compressed it.

Don't think of MP3s as like ZIP files for audio. Lossless compression such as FLAC is like ZIP files - it shrinks the original file(s) down, but no actual information is lost in that process, so the FLAC file contains all of the original information of the WAV and sounds just as good, therefore when you convert from the FLAC back to WAV again you have a file that's identical to the WAV that you started with.

Basically, here's how transcoding works: -

Lossless --> Lossy = Useful to shrink files down, but audio information is permanently lost (unless you keep a copy of the original uncompressed file).

Lossless --> Lossless = No audio information is lost, no matter how many times you convert back and forth.

Lossy --> Lossless = Almost always pointless, as all you are doing is making the file larger, but you're gaining no audio benefits whatsoever.

Lossy --> Lossy = Again, almost always pointless as each time you convert a file to a lossy format, more information is stripped away, so this degrades the audio even further.

BuddyUK
02-16-2012, 05:31 AM
>5. What programs do you use to create mashups, if any?

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/porqueeeeeeee.jpg

de.j.l
02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
>5. What programs do you use to create mashups, if any?

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/porqueeeeeeee.jpg

2x windows of itunes, just hit play on both of them(AT THE EXACT SAME TIME) while recording it with a handle held recording device.

KLH
02-16-2012, 06:58 AM
1. I’m thinking of buying the S4 and using traktor pro 2. Do I need scratch pro 2 or is that just for turn tables? What’s the major difference between the two?
I have the S4 (which comes with TPv2). Traktor SCRATCH Pro - specifically the "S4 Traktor Scratch Pro Upgrade Kit" - is required to use timecode. As the S4 uses MIDI and HID to send signals to TP/TPv2, I don't think that the upgrade is worth it... unless you want TTs and CDJs for controlling decks.

Keep in mind that the Traktor software is bundled/tied to the S4. Sellers cannot sell the S4 without TP/TSP. or TP/TSP without the S4. NI will not authorize the buyer of a used S4 to download the software without a valid existing license (which IIRC the seller must fax proof of sale to NI directly).

4. What is the best dj pool, in your opinion?
There are many many pools and new ones keep popping up and old ones disappear. The latest one that most were contemplating before DJF v1 disappeared was the Promo Only pool.

For others, see the Official music pool thread (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?35-Online-record-shops-Digital-amp-Vinyl-Master-list).

5. What programs do you use to create mashups, if any?
There are many ways to create a mashup. You can make it on the fly by mixing or get intricate with production tools (Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live). See which you like and start mashing a mix...

-KLH

de.j.l
02-16-2012, 07:02 AM
I use audacity to convert my .wav to .mp3, you need to *LAME*<-- (thats what it is called) plugin.

lew
02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
If you're using a Mac, All2MP3 is quite a good app for bulk conversion of WAV to MP3 if you don't want to faff around with iTunes.

mavericckk..
02-17-2012, 03:26 AM
sound forge is best for converting most audio files to any format.

LostAbyss
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the help guys..do i need scratch pro 2 if i were to use cdjs?

Molbster
02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
You need Scratch if you are using a vinyl setup (ie Mk 1200) or any non-MIDI controllable CDJs (ie. CDJ 1000MkXXX)

Otherwise stick with regular Tracktor Pro 2 if using with CDJ's that can control MIDI (ie. CDJ-400 or 900 or 2000)

PS. I'm assuming since you're in La Jolla you either go to UCSD or live near enough?? There's a DJ club on campus called DJs and Vinylphiles Club (DVC) that has a bunch of knowledgeable people that can help you out. It's a great way to learn the basics and get some of your first gigs under your belt. It's how I got started. You don't have to be a student to join (just in case you're not). If you want, I can point you out to a few guys who are IMO experts on controllers.

Rick_N
02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
PS. I'm assuming since you're in La Jolla you either go to UCSD or live near enough?? There's a DJ club on campus called DJs and Vinylphiles Club (DVC) that has a bunch of knowledgeable people that can help you out. It's a great way to learn the basics and get some of your first gigs under your belt. It's how I got started. You don't have to be a student to join (just in case you're not). If you want, I can point you out to a few guys who are IMO experts on controllers.

To expand on that we have been throwing quite a few edm nights in north county lately. Mainly oceanside, carlsbad, solona beach, etc. Wouldn't mind showing you around or introducing you to a few people once you feel confident enough. Plus it never hurts to come and watch other dj's do there thing.

LostAbyss
02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
You need Scratch if you are using a vinyl setup (ie Mk 1200) or any non-MIDI controllable CDJs (ie. CDJ 1000MkXXX)

Otherwise stick with regular Tracktor Pro 2 if using with CDJ's that can control MIDI (ie. CDJ-400 or 900 or 2000)

I'm actually in the club :)
Have only been taught the basics of beat matching and transitions so I'm still really noobish, but I try and learn when I have time and am not studying for midterms..

@Rick_N
Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks! Who's we btw?

DJHoss
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM

In other words, if you have something already in a crappy format, you can't restore it to an amazing quality track. As far as I know, compressed files cannot be uncompressed and expect to hear amazing audio quality from it again, just because you convert it to low quality back to high.

If that made sense, lol.

Molbster
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
In other words, if you have something already in a crappy format, you can't restore it to an amazing quality track. As far as I know, compressed files cannot be uncompressed and expect to hear amazing audio quality from it again, just because you convert it to low quality back to high.

Correct. Think of the music as a sheet of paper. You're thinking the piece of paper is folded and you need to unfold it to make it bigger. How you need to think of it is when the paper went from WAV to MP3, it was cut with scissors. Those missing pieces are gone.