PDA

View Full Version : Are Turntable Flight Cases Okay to Check in on Plane Flights????

Roshanbhoj
11-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I just ordered two turntable flight cases, the odyssey fr1200E to be exact. I have a gig in Austin, Texas and I live in Oklahoma so I'll be flying in. The VMS4 is already over there but I have to take my turntables with me. I was planning to check in one with the airline and then have one carry on so I can avoid any extra fees. I checked and I shouldn't be over the usual 50 pound weight limit. Is it safe for me to take my FLIGHT cases on a plane flight? It's not even a long flight at all like 45 minutes or an hour. I would think they would be okay in the cases. Please enlighten me!

JackStalk
11-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I mean, they're called flight cases for a reason. I would be in the same boat as you being nervous about checking your turntables. If I couldn't carry them on with me, I'd probably throw some extra bubble wrap inside each case to make sure each one is as secure as possible before checking them.

Nicadraus
11-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Yes they are ok.

lburners
11-04-2012, 11:06 PM
They will not let you carry on.Pull the dust covers and add some padding so the platters dont bust loose. Prepare to have them inspected. maybe label the tops.

Roshanbhoj
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Why wouldn't they let you carry it on? I was just going to put into the case and then into a luggage. Pull the dustcovers? You're being kind of vague here. Could you specify?

ksmalk08
11-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I carried-on an Electro-Voice ZxA1 loudspeaker on a plane...

I did get a pat down and chemical swab, as well as a double-pass through the scanner... but it was fine.
Make sure you get lined up early to get on as the overhead compartments can fill up quick on a full flight, and if they do you don't want your TT ending up in checked luggage.

Roshanbhoj
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Sounds good. The only thing is I can only take one as a carry on and then one checked in to avoid the huge bag fees. I'd assume they would be okay. Just stick it in a luggage with padding or clothes all around the case so it won't be moving and it should be fine. And the cases are meant to withstand movement and such anyway. They were born for this were they not.

Brandt Slater
11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Depends on if the TSA agents put their tampons in that day. Also how booked the flight is which is why to get there early. You shouldn't have any problems with the exception of a longer inspection. I dunno if I'd bring both on. Maybe check one and the other a carry on.