PDA

View Full Version : please help me choose....

freakin_rican
02-16-2012, 12:36 AM
i am in the process of buying some speakers and i need a little help picking out some powered speakers i am looking at using these for weddings parties etc....for nomore than 250 people and thats probably too much but lets hear what you guys are using and suggesting plus a subwoofer now i have bout $1200 for the mains and i am getting the sub later but still would like some feedback the only places i can go and see and hear speakers are guitar center and firehouse music thanks for any input and info and suggestions sorry for posting another needing help question but i posted this on another site and got no where!!!!thanks

Al Poulin
02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
i am in the process of buying some speakers and i need a little help picking out some powered speakers i am looking at using these for weddings parties etc....for nomore than 250 people and thats probably too much but lets hear what you guys are using and suggesting plus a subwoofer now i have bout $1200 for the mains and i am getting the sub later but still would like some feedback the only places i can go and see and hear speakers are guitar center and firehouse music thanks for any input and info and suggestions sorry for posting another needing help question but i posted this on another site and got no where!!!!thanks

Plenty of good sounding powered speakers to choose from these days - and at great prices! What brands do you have access to? It is always best to buy from a local dealer for after sales service. Let me know, and I can tell you which ones I would recommend.

Al

Al Poulin
02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
These are the BEST SOUNDING powered tops you can get for under 500$ each (you might still be able to find them at 449$) :

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=ART312A--BranchID=--DepartmentID=--SubDeptID=--CategoryID=RCF%20LOUDSPEAKERS--DeID=0--SRCH=#fulldesc

You might also want to look at EV's Live-X series. The powered 12s can be had for 599$ each or lower.

Al

freakin_rican
02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
so far ive been looking at the rcf 312as and the ev elx115s which ones are better like i said i will be buying a subwoofer later on

freakin_rican
02-16-2012, 12:07 PM
What brands do you have access to?

not too much brands to choose from whatever guitar center and fire house have in stock (mackie behringer jbl qsc gemini ev habringer etc etc etc...

Al Poulin
02-16-2012, 12:22 PM
so far ive been looking at the rcf 312as and the ev elx115s which ones are better like i said i will be buying a subwoofer later on

The RCFs will sound better overall WITH SUBS but without subs the EVs will have substantially more low frequency response. The finish on the EV is very fragile and there have been at least a few reports of them shutting off (thermal failure) but I believe the issue has been adressed. The weak point on the RCFs are the almost non-existant mixer section (which makes them a little less flexible) and their somewhat weak deep low frequency reproduction. They make up for it with a smooth and sweet midrange and top end (and more output than you would think possible from their 350 watt rating)

Al

CQE DJs
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
The RCFs will sound better overall WITH SUBS but without subs the EVs will have substantially more low frequency response. The finish on the EV is very fragile and there have been at least a few reports of them shutting off (thermal failure) but I believe the issue has been adressed. The weak point on the RCFs are the almost non-existant mixer section (which makes them a little less flexible) and their somewhat weak deep low frequency reproduction. They make up for it with a smooth and sweet midrange and top end (and more output than you would think possible from their 350 watt rating)

Al

I agree. The 312s do have decent bass response (better that I would expect out of a 12"), but you will certainly get more of a low end out of the ELX115p. But really, no matter what speaker you get, you should always think of using a sub at some point. In this case the 312s would be best because they will sound killer with a sub...plus you will save some $ buying the tops you can use towards a sub in the future.

freakin_rican
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I agree. The 312s do have decent bass response (better that I would expect out of a 12"), but you will certainly get more of a low end out of the ELX115p. But really, no matter what speaker you get, you should always think of using a sub at some point. In this case the 312s would be best because they will sound killer with a sub...plus you will save some $ buying the tops you can use towards a sub in the future.

thats what ive been thinking i dont want to buy a speaker and worry bout it chipping and falling apart but i hear good things on both these speakers where is the best place to buy the rcf from ???how good are the rcf subwoofers???

CQE DJs
02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I got 2 RCF 718AS subs when I was redoing my audio setup getting ready for the busy summer schedule. I haven't gigged out with them yet and have only hooked up the 2 together once in my garage. I didn't even have the volume up 1/4 of the way and already it was too loud for me to even stay in the room. I have my frist gig I will be using them paired with the 312s in the middle of march. It is a fundraiser with about 300 people. I plan to get there extra early to do some heavy testing. I demoed them against the QSC KW181 and i thought the RCF sounded much better, sound traveled further than the QSC.

DJAkash
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
RCF 312a changed my view of audio quality. I had gemini speakers before, they honestly were pretty good, but absolutely useless after you get mid size gigs, I gigd them 250 people and they had to be on max, luckily i had rented a sub so i drained the bass on them, else I woulda been dj static noise. DOn't buy gemini!!!!! The RCF has the cleanest sound I have heard all the yorks and qsc speakers, and I feel RCF might give you more bang for your buck.

fueledbymusic
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
There will be a day ill be able get a hold of those RCF 12s :D

freakin_rican
02-16-2012, 10:46 PM
i cant wait to get my rcf 312as now im looking for a subwoofer on a budget wtf that dont sound good!!!! any suggestions...???