PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney '12: Delta V-vs-Ellissentials

Rek_Aviles
11-01-2012, 09:29 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg
ROUND 3 - SEMI FINALS

MIX 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R3/DJFTranceTournament2012-Delta V-vs-Ellissential-1.mp3)

MIX 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R3/DJFTranceTournament2012-Delta V-vs-Ellissential-2.mp3)

RULES:
45 minute length.

The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark.

Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

JackStalk
11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
This is the semi-final round. The winner of this goes into the finals. I will be super picky, mostly because I over criticize myself and partially because I want you to become better at your craft.

Mix 1:

Track one feels more of like a breakbeat track. Picks up nicely and gets a little trancey, like that synth. Transitions are smooth so far, getting the booty going. This one transition is noticeable, but done well. I dont have timestamps on this player, but it's got to be the second transition probably. It was the one going into this track with the huge psy-trancey vocal breakdown. Next transition was pretty solid, no complaints. Not a real huge fan of the track, but it fits the mix. The skrillex-y "drop the bass" and electro synths put a bad taste in my mouth, I wouldve just edited that out with hot cues. Pretty noticeable dip in volume during the mix-out on this track, sometimes you've gotta bring up the gain on the incoming track higher than you think. I am notorious for mismanaging this too. This track kind of reminds me of a video game with the melody, maybe Zelda? I dont know. It's an okay track, I wouldve probably put something else there but it's good where it is :). The mix-out was SOLID, and I'm liking this incoming track. This track is deep! Clean mix into the next track. Up to this point there's been a lot of these psytrance tracks with narrated clips in them, it is starting to get a little boring and monotonous about 2/3 through this mix. This incoming mix is done pretty well. I thought the drop into the minimal bassline was pretty awesome. At first it sounded like you massively screwed up, but then I realized it was part of the track and it really breathed some fresh air into the mix. I think you dropped the ball a little on this last transition. The incoming track volume was pretty low and definitely noticeable. Time for Mix 2....

Mix 2:

Starts off a little slower and darker than mix 1. Nice and upbeat so far. Again, on my laptop I dont have specific times. This second track (I think) is pretty deep and has a hint of psy with the lady's voice. Not too big of a fan about her talking about the sky. I usually let the instrumentals do all the talking when I listen to trance. Either way, no audible errors at this point. So far both mixes are very close in my book. This upcoming transition is smooth like butter, sounds like youre mixing on the intro/outro. Slight loss in energy by dragging it out, but nothing that kills the mix. Volume levels seem solid, I'm judging both mixes on my stock toshiba laptop speakers. Slipping into a nice smooth trance right now :). This next transition was slightly (slightly) rough, slamming in the track with the mids/highs ever-so-slightly clashing. The quick dropout was very well done though. This next transition was a lot better, I like how the highs laid on top of each other very well. I'm about halfway through the mix at this point. It's getting a little minimal and almost house-y. I like it, keeps you on your feet. Next transition is noticeable but clean, I really like the incoming synth sweeping back and forth. Moving on, another minimal track that will get any dance floor moving. Keeping everything smooth and clean, this is definitely more of a journey! Definitely feeling some aspects of house near the end of this mix, everything executed very well. This last transition was a little sloppy, it sounds like both tracks just flapping around together, as if you were getting tired. They're both in time, but it feels like you just kind of shoved that last one in.

My vote goes to mix 2, definitely. Even with the turn toward trippy house music near the end, it was trancey enough to work and the entire mix was well executed. Both mixes were good, but I'm being really super picky since this is a competition.

Sedna
11-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Mix 1 - Love the breakbeat intro, really solid track. Starting off solid with a fat rolling bassline. First mix was good, more heavy tunes. Third track was alright up until the "DROP THE BASS" thing... now this breakdown is really really bad... I hate all of these noises. Okay back to sounding decent. Next mix is decent, tracks are back to being good again lol. Powering it out with some solid trance through the rest of the mix, but I did hear a couple mixes where the levels were a bit off. Overall a good mix, though.

Mix 2 - Starting off a bit slower. I like the tune selection so far, and the mixes are solid. I hear Helion coming in, good track. Moving into the grittier basslines now, good mixing, though this isn't exactly my type of trance. Mix continues, more smoothness, I think I might hear a remix of Reboot by Ummet Ozcan? Not sure, but the synths at the end of each phrase sound just like the ones in Reboot. I'm liking this smooth and light groove you have going now. Kinda getting the 4am club feeling, when things are winding down but there's still plenty of energy. Big ambient breakdown, now I'm definitely getting that late night vibe (not a bad thing by any means). Techy minimal breakdown, I just can't not bob my head to that. This song is very well produced. Now we have some trippy rolling basslines going on, enjoying the mix quite a bit. This track reminds me of Liquid Soul a little bit; as it's a perfect blend of psy and normal trance (which, by the way, is the perfect type of trance, imo :love:). Very simple, yet incredibly driving. Next two mixes are solid. Ooooh, getting breaky now. Like it a lot, actually. Always been a huge fan of throwing breaks into a trance mix. Gotta know what this track is! Just cranked the volume up =D Breaks over, now we're going trippy again... buildy buildy buildy... holy shit, there's the breaks again, fucking love it!

Mix one, you were solid but if I'm being picky you had a few small level issues and that annoying YOYOYOYOY track in the middle hurt my vibe a lot. Mix two banged it out, barely any complaints here, and that breaks track at the end was like a fucking capstone. Sold on mix two. Good job, guys!

ChrisHynds
11-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Mix 1 - Good driving tech track to open things up, again its nice to hear some of the higher BPM stuff starting to come out in the final rounds :) Good flow mixing into Indecent Noise - Full Moon Fever great track, Ive used this track in a few of my own sets. Picking up energy nicely here, this third track is pretty sick, mixing has been spot on so far. breakdown on this third track is dragging on a bit and the drop is kinda cheesey, it sounds more like a hardstyle track when the drop comes in. Next track is mellowing things out after that ear bashing :) nice to hear that dreamy breakdown. This is a solid track, would like an ID on this after the round is over. Mixing through the rest of the set was solid, you had a few issues with levels dipping on transitions, the track selection was good throughout, my only point of criticism would be you opened up pretty hard and over 45 minutes it gets a little hard to listen too, a slower build would have been nice, but thats just personal preference coming into it, the track selection flowed well and that the main thing that counts. Good solid mix!

Mix 2 - Intro track is cool, nothing special but it does the job, I like what you have done with the first transition, good job the two tracks are in similar keys here, otherwise that would have sounded horrible :) the 2 track flow well, nice mix. I like this track very deep and spacey, mixing out into Genix - Helion was ok, basic intro outro, the thing I dont like about a lot of the Anjunabeats and simlar style trax is that on the drop everything goes really flat, same happens on the mix out of Genix, from personal experience I find if you mix in a lot earlier rather than leaving it to breakdown, it doesnt sound as flat on the switch. This is a nice little breakdown and again the good old anjuna sound on the drop, mixing out is solid, more drive on this track , nice techy feel on this next track, mixing out is spot on, big breakdown again before you start mixing the next track in, Im not a big fan of letting track play out too long. Really diggin this little vocal stuttering sample and uplifting track, deep sounds on the drop, nice track here, mixing out is good, both tracks sound in the exact same key, I would have definatley used this to come in way earlier but they work very well, nice mix. Im really liking the direction your taking towards the back end of this set, much more like the Trance I enjoy listening too, got some deep grooves happening now. Closing out the set well.

Wrap Up!

Mix 1 had some good tracks and the mixing was good throughout, the level issues were pretty obvious and should have been corrected. I think you started out a little hard and had to mellow it out a tad through the middle of the set, rather than building it up.

Mix 2 - Again you had a few good tracks in there, your mixing style was not really my cup of tea, but I feel you had a much better direction with the set, you started it off slow and it continued to build throughout. The back end of the set sold it for me. If you had of mixed in a lot earlier with the trax I feel it would have had a lot more energy and been a much better set, just my own opinion.

I Vote Mix 2, good sets from you both!!!

Ellissentials
11-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Firstly thanks to you guys that voted.. amazing of ya.

Second.. there's 2 hours to hold face and get your votes in you slackers.

RikkiGTR
11-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Listening now! I'm sorry I'm late :cry: So busy in the house this past week. I'm going with a simple 1-5 scoring system here for these battles/this round because I'm listening while painting...

Mix 1 -

Intro: 3
Track selection: 4
Mixing: 5
Overall "feel": 5

Total: 17/20

I loved it. Really got into that hard style of a lot of the tracks, kept my blood pumping while I worked. Mixing was flawless in my opinion, but this is the semi-final so it's hardly a surprise.
Excellent, really really enjoyed it.

Mix 2 -

Intro: 3
Track selection: 3
Mixing: 5
Overall "feel": 2

Total: 13/20

Mixing was again flawless as far as I could hear, but didn't really enjoy the set itself. On a personal level it wasn't really what I myself would deem "Trance". A lot of break beat sound or something.

Vote: Mix 1. Just really enjoyed it more, loved the pumping energy throughout.

I'll repeat my apology for being late, but I really have been utterly flat-out on a loft conversion and forgot all about this tournament.

Ellissentials
11-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Understandable Rikki, thanks for taking the time anyways to vote! It truly means a lot.

I was mix 2 and will be moving on to battle it out with Sedna. Tracklist coming soon for this one.

Ellissentials
11-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Tracklist:

Ashley Wallbridge - Rhythm (Original Mix)
Young, Stowers - The Second Coming (Gareth Emery Remix)
Genix, Mike Koglin - Helion (Original Mix)
Audien, Norin & Rad - Triumph (Original Mix)
Lisa Lashes - Numero Uno (Ummet Ozcan Remix)
Adiva - Desired Love (Original Mix)
Fatali - Mother
Anton Firtich - Mirage (Jochen Miller Remix)
Electric Soulside - Soul On Fire (Original Mix)

For FUN if anyone was curious.. here's the notes I took for each track. When I make a prepared set, I make sure it comes out the way I want it to. So for FUN... here's the tracklist with my little footnotes. You may not understand the footnotes, but I never intended on writing so others could understand them. Or, heck, ever even read them.

132 BPM

Ashley Wallbridge - Rhythm (Original Mix)
Young, Stowers - The Second Coming (Gareth Emery Remix)Mix @ 5:13 light EQ no bass, but have EQ soon. Echo out at 3:57ish
Genix, Mike Koglin - Helion (Original Mix)Mix @ 1:29 1/4 all EQ. Mix in mid and treb "fast" Bass 1/2 each @ :46. Kill bass of outgoing @ :40 into filter /volume lower drop.
Audien, Norin & Rad - Triumph (Original Mix)Mix @ 1:41 1/2 mid/treb 0 bass. Make sure bass is in at bass part. kill bass before drop and use slicer on it.
Lisa Lashes - Numero Uno (Ummet Ozcan Remix)Tease Mixing @2:15. NO BASS. Actual drop @ 1:15, no bass / under half mid / Full Treb. Keep fader down till bass hits on new.
Adiva - Desired Love (Original Mix)Mix @ 1:04 1/2 treb under 1/2 mid 0 bass. Then mix in and bass drop new, keep bass' even. MIX ON OUT ALL THE WAY.
Fatali - Mother Mix @1:36 no bass, but get 1/4 bass in by drop and have ready.(hit JUGGLE) At "the" drop CUE point 1 for 16 beats, then CUE point 1 again, and mix out. DON'T forget to cut outgoing at "GAP" Have extra Treb on incoming.
Anton Firtich - Mirage (Jochen Miller Remix)Mix @ 1:05 no bass - 1/3 treb 1/3 mid. At 'gap drop' do a High pass filter sweep into most bass of incoming
Electric Soulside - Soul On Fire (Original Mix) Mix @ 1:28 Loop somewhere in the end.

Each note is for how I want to mix that track into the last one. So, for instance, the last track says to "loop somewhere in the end" that ment loop the outgoing track.

Figured some of you may get a chuckle out of seeing this. :tup: