PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Genre Mixing

supasi87
10-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi Guys

Kinda new on here and was wandering has anyone got any techniques on cross-genre mixing, IE D'n'B to hip hop/urban or something along those lines where its a drastic BPM change. I currently am in force and have been for about 5 or so years of mixing D'n'B / Dubstep / Drumstep, but the being hired for a friends party for fireworks night has kind of forced me to go to the hip hop route but still play a lil dubstep here and there (ideally trying to keep it sound for everyone). I have found it super hard to try and beat match hip hop/urban/pop tunes in with the dubstep etc, and have come down to the simple fact that unfortunately I think I may be held up to violently dropping it in without a care in the world.
I hope you guys can help me with my predicament and dig me out of this BPM rut that I am stuck in for my set as the more genres in a set I feel the better it will become, in certain circumstances.
I look forward to someone if anyones response,

Many Thanks
Simon :)

Andrew1207
10-31-2012, 01:53 PM
It's actually pretty easy with dubstep or dnb/drumstep. With dubstep, just look for a rap song in the 70bpm range and beatmatch/mix it in exactly how you would if it was another dubstep song. Same thing goes for drumstep and dnb. Get a rap song around the 87 bpm range and mix it in the same way. In several cases, you can do some pretty cool live mashups with hop hop and those genres - mixing in a vocal part from the hip hop song on top of an instrumental portion of the dub/drumstep song. There shouldn't be any need for drastic bpm changes in these cases.

supasi87
11-02-2012, 05:30 AM
ok thanks for the reply will give it a go tonight whilst lining up my playlist :)

JackStalk
11-02-2012, 12:28 PM
There's also a ton of songs out there what were designed to switch genres. They are usually in DJ record pools, but there are some that will go from 130-90 over the course of the track and vice versa.

dlove
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi, you can also mix concentrating on the percussion and atmosphere of songs, so the bpm's might go up or down. Quite often, I'll have a dub track that has a bit of latin in it, or hip-hop or D&B ect, so I go into that genre. I also pay attention to any vocals, and have them make sense.

Have fun at your fireworks party :tup:

supasi87
11-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your replies guys got away with doing mostly dubstep that evening lol bit of a touch if you ask me lol but will definitely have a pop at blending something in at complete opposite end of the spectrum i think i may try the loop function could always be a god send lol

Sense of Life
11-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Well if you need a transition from Electro to DNB or vice versa, I usually use History of the Future by Camo & Krooked. Its got 128bpm electro break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIoLYjrrKQ

mke
11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
http://youtu.be/nlZNHslgzAg

I don't know what the bpm is in the beginning, but its another example.

I really like the camo & krooked track, especially since you can get it on vinyl

xyloft
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
to go from around 135-140 to 175-180 ish, I use this track. the vocals make it work better with some genres than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2RCNU10AQo

some DNB songs, (pendulum Slam for example) has a half beat intro that would blend well with rap /hip hop. Obviously the drumstep with the half beat drum rhythms are easy to go from 175 to 85.

i find it trickier to make the smaller jumps. from 128 to 150 or from 150 to 175. i usually end up finding songs with slightly faster BPMs and slowly push the playing track a little faster by a few .1% in order to get into the next track. then repeat until i finally can get into the faster BPM's genre. sometimes i think this works well...i'm sure other times, listeners are like...wtf DJ.

MarcusB
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Pitch n Time? Magic.

CC Ricers
11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I once went from dubstep to drum&bass/drumstep with a glitch hop teaser in between. The transition song in question was Reso - Ishimura and with the second half switching to roughly 100 BPM after the breakdown, I mixed in one or two more glitch hop tracks, and then gradually slowed the second one down to 90 BPM while mixing a beat-less D&B intro. I faded out the glitch hop track just before the D&B drop, which brought up the energy again.