PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Ellissentials vs de.j.l - Techno Battle

JonAvalon
02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/de.j.l-vs-ellissentials-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/de.j.l-vs-ellissentials-2.mp3)

Rules:
~30 minutes / No mixing after 30 minute mark
~Any genre Techno
~One take, no post editing.
~Must have lyrics in at least two of your tracks.

Ellissentials
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Cheers! :tup:

Thanks for posting Jon and good luck Ethen. Nice mix by the way :dance:

BuddyUK
02-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Bedtime, but I'll be on this tomorrow :slayer:

de.j.l
02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Likewise Kris, its posted Yippeeee. Voters be votin'.. haters be votin' for my opponent.

Ellissentials
02-16-2012, 11:21 AM
:tup:

BuddyUK
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Mix 1 - Didn't really appreciate the 'airplane taking off noises' also would have just rather hear the original Disco Volante TBH, next track didn't like at all, next track was much better but sounded a bit like breaks without the breaks TBH (are these Italian tracks?) like the track from 14 mins started off quite well but then the breakdown and drumroll, :( basline at 17 mins on :tup:, lots of bits about the track I didn't like though. 21 mins onwards pretty good not a fan of EFX so wasn't enamored with them, but pretty strong to the end last but one track was not bad at all, simple but moody :tup: last track if it wasn't an outro or loop or something sounding like it was going somehwere.

Mix 2 - First 7 mins seemed a bit samey TBH, improved but then, the Remix of Plastic Dreams :mad:, Did NOT like, could of been worse, but seemed to go on forever, even had a drumroll :facepalm: but some excellent accapellas, espec. the 'dust' one (i'm assuming that wasn't part of the tune), some nice drum patterns in the mix as well, enjoyed, kept the beats driving along. Last 5 mins decent track but the lyrics were a bit lame and did not appreciate the breakdown.

Stylistically VERY well matched, hard to choose but I'm going for mix 1.

gr2daover
02-17-2012, 12:19 AM
mmmmmmm techno!!!!
i hope someone threw in a skrillex tune for good measure no techno mix is complete without a skrillex tune!!!!!

de.j.l
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
mmmmmmm techno!!!!
i hope someone threw in a skrillex tune for good measure no techno mix is complete without a skrillex tune!!!!!

I hope you take the time to listen and vote, there might be a skr"lamo"illex track in there somewhere.

mix4fix
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Mix #2 - gotta love "Plastic Dreams".

TheFrenchWay
02-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I voted for mix # 1.

The track selection got to me more than Mix #2 is the main reason.

Other than that it was a great match up. Good skills on both sides!

IznremiX
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
good job both of you, mix 2 for me though. just enjoyed it a bit more. ps: track id at 8 mins mix 2? :)

de.j.l
02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
we will post playlists up once the poles are done. Thanks for listenin.

mrkleen
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Mix #1

Music here is pretty cheesy to be honest…pushing the boundaries of what could be considered “techno” – sounds more like a Tiesto set than a Chris Liebing set, but be that as it may lets continue.

This is an example of a mix which would benefit greatly from “Mixed In Key” and understanding keys and how to use them to not only sound better, but avoid tonal clashes. Happens a fair few times here.

This is clearly a “synced” mix as the beat are locked tight…yet still, it doesn’t always work to be honest. To me, if you are going to use “sync” – you should use that extra time and effort you would have previously put into beat matching – into more creative things. Just mixing in a new track every 5 minutes defeats the purpose of sync.

Not sure what happens at 25:09 – but the entire upward momentum that has been building is just sucked out of the mix – as the entire vibe changes.

Again, I am being super critical here….as on the grand scale, this is a solid mix – but still nothing ground braking is presented here, and certainly not enough to win a mixing battle.

7 of 10

Mix #2

In a 30 minute battle, waiting 6+ minutes to do your first mix is waiting too long. This is not a 6 hour set….especially when you are talking about techno. You should be getting in and out of tracks more quickly.

Mix into Plastic Dreams was solid…as were most…but again, nothing creative, no fader tricks, no transforming, no effects, no back spins, no filter work, no loops and acapellas. Very vanilla mix. Barley won, if only for the fact that the tracks were slightly less cheesy.

7.1 of 10

I think both mixes were fine. I think both DJs were passable. I just don’t hear anything overly creative or interesting or either DJ making good use of the tools available to them. Playing it safe never wins a battle….so honestly, I don’t have a true winner here.

Buddy and Monomer were both miles better than either here.

NickJames
02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
My vote was for Mix 1 - Quickly (I was working while I listened so no detailed notes): the song selection on both was decent, mixing was good across both but Mix 1 was a little more interesting over all. I also agree with most of the comments made by those who took greater time than I to construct their replies...

Sol
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
deleted all the cr@p. I think you were giving away who made each mix...

Ellissentials
02-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Thank you Sol. :tup:

BuddyUK
03-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Tracklists Guys?

Also will be working on a way to archive all the Techno battles for future reference if that's cool, also Elli, haven't forgotten your comeuppance is imminent. :argh: Literally no time off right now to record plus I'm all set waiting to get some time to record for round 2 with Monomer at the moment.

Ellissentials
03-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Fine with me... I'll post a tracklist ina bit. :tup:

de.j.l
03-10-2012, 07:53 AM
likewise, I have it somewhere.