PDA

View Full Version : Fairly big mobile gig - inexperienced mobile DJ

Jonno Soccio
02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi All,

Just registered on here after lurking for a few weeks and I can tell the knowledge in this mobile section will be of great benefit to someone like me.
I've been DJing for years and know what I am doing in bars/clubs but have just started doing mobile work after a successful free gig at a mates wedding.

I've had a few paid mobile gigs since (with mixed success) but most were fairly small and I managed well equipment wise. Thing is, I have a wedding coming up in a few months and it's for 220 guests and in a marquee (not asked about dimensions yet).

Can anyone give me any advice about minimum equipment requirements in terms of speakers/lighting? And also general speaker positioning tips? I know the sound will have to be pretty big for that many people but I am also worried that because its in marquee the sound will be worse.

I own a pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2's. These have been fine so far but I know they probably won't cut it on their own at this gig. I have enquired about renting a single Mackie 18" sub to go with the tops and I can dry hire one cheaply. Will this be enough and how should I position everything?

Showing my inexperience, I agreed a price before checking the number of guests and room dimensions so I can't really afford to rent too much extra (if I need it). I obviously want to make sure the sound is good enough for the gig but this also has to be balanced with not spending a fortune renting extra gear.

Cheers in advance!

DJ Scotch
02-16-2012, 09:35 AM
You can work with pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2 I would suggest you to add a sub to the set up. Either purchase or rent it. Most of the time we do party for 250-300 people with pair of JBL PRX speakers and Sub. Since you don't have cash to invest, I would suggest go get a Sub and that should be enough for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Jonno Soccio
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
You can work with pair of Mackie SRM-450 V2 I would suggest you to add a sub to the set up. Either purchase or rent it. Most of the time we do party for 250-300 people with pair of JBL PRX speakers and Sub. Since you don't have cash to invest, I would suggest go get a Sub and that should be enough for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Nice one mate, yeah I can rent one Sub for £25 so will do that, Cheers!

jazzyj
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah I think you'll be fine with the 2 Mackie's and renting the sub. We've got 2 mackie's and we're renting 2 subs for a 300-person event.

In the states you can rent lighting too - but I wouldn't go with anything too complicated - just a disco-ball type for slow dancing, a couple of scanners or lasers or something.

windspeed36
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
You mentioned you were In a marquee, what's the power supply for the venue going to be like? Is it completely outdoor Running off a generator?

Jonno Soccio
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah I think you'll be fine with the 2 Mackie's and renting the sub. We've got 2 mackie's and we're renting 2 subs for a 300-person event.

In the states you can rent lighting too - but I wouldn't go with anything too complicated - just a disco-ball type for slow dancing, a couple of scanners or lasers or something.

Cheers for the response, this makes me feel more relaxed! Yes I am also renting some lights, a couple of Martin MX-1's and a stand.

Jonno Soccio
02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
You mentioned you were In a marquee, what's the power supply for the venue going to be like? Is it completely outdoor Running off a generator?

I still need to enquire about this. I'm pretty sure the marquee will be adjoined to the main building so should be ok power wise - but will check properly, cheers!

djscrizzle
02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
I still need to enquire about this. I'm pretty sure the marquee will be adjoined to the main building so should be ok power wise - but will check properly, cheers!

At any rate, having 2x 13a outlets will be all you need, that's 6.2KW available to your rig.... Since your line voltage is +/-5% of 230 volts at 50Hz +/- 0.01Hz

Here in the USA, to get 6KW, we'd have to run at least a 30A 120/240 volt 3 wire grounded single phase drop to a distro.