PDA

View Full Version : Kontrol S4 Cable connection advice - RCA to MONO XLR

nevin
10-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't really understand how mono audio works when outputting through an RCA.

I run a kontrol S4 which i need to plug into a single XLR input at the venue i play. They currently use a cable like this:

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/speakers/images/dsp_rca2xlr.jpg

However, the RCA cable is old / cheap and the connections have started to bend and wear to a point where one of the RCA connections does not clip on tightly anymore, and falls out with the slightest bump. The red connection works fine, but the white one falls out.

My question is: how can i get traktor to output ALL of the audio through a single RCA output, so that i can use their cable for tonight without losing half the sound? IS this even going to be an issue? I don't understand whether you need both red and white to run mono audio..

I have played using only the red output last time and i couldn't really tell the difference due to where the dj booth is vs where the main speakers are. They are going to be replacing the cables soon due to my recommendations, however i am playing tonight and they have not organised this yet.

Thank you!

Unknown DJ
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
You don't need both red and white. One carries the right channel the other carries the left. If you only use one lets say the right Chanel it will play the right channel on all speakers. Basically what ever you here on the right side of your headphone will pay on all speakers. You are fine just using one RCA jack.

sss18734
10-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Just grab some pliers and gently tighten the RCA ring.

Otherwise, as you've noticed, you're fine. You may have to slightly increase the gain on the mixer to compensate for the missing channel.

nevin
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
You don't need both red and white. One carries the right channel the other carries the left. If you only use one lets say the right Chanel it will play the right channel on all speakers. Basically what ever you here on the right side of your headphone will pay on all speakers. You are fine just using one RCA jack.

I just don't want to be losing parts of songs

Just grab some pliers and gently tighten the RCA ring.

Otherwise, as you've noticed, you're fine. You may have to slightly increase the gain on the mixer to compensate for the missing channel.

So what you guys are saying is when i put Traktor in 'Mono' it is sending the full signal to both left and right outputs individually. So when i unplug one output i still have the same signal, with less gain? Am i losing anything besides volume?

KLH
10-26-2012, 11:33 PM
I run a kontrol S4 which i need to plug into a single XLR input at the venue i play. They currently use a cable like this:
There's wrong and then there's wrong and then there's that.

XLR is for balanced mono signals that have to travel long distance. That's why there are always two of them on mixers. 1/4" TRS can be either balanced mono or unbalanced stereo... I've never seen two RCAs going to an XLR. That's just wrong.

If you're going to use just one channel, output in mono. You don't want to output one channel of a two channel sound field. You'll miss out on 1/2 of the sound. By outputting mono, you'll always have all of the sound.

-KLH

sss18734
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
So what you guys are saying is when i put Traktor in 'Mono' it is sending the full signal to both left and right outputs individually. So when i unplug one output i still have the same signal, with less gain? Am i losing anything besides volume?

Exactly right

Unknown DJ
10-27-2012, 05:18 AM
There's wrong and then there's wrong and then there's that.

XLR is for balanced mono signals that have to travel long distance. That's why there are always two of them on mixers. 1/4" TRS can be either balanced mono or unbalanced stereo... I've never seen two RCAs going to an XLR. That's just wrong.

If you're going to use just one channel, output in mono. You don't want to output one channel of a two channel sound field. You'll miss out on 1/2 of the sound. By outputting mono, you'll always have all of the sound.

-KLH
Your not missing 1/2 the sound by using 1 cable. Most tracks right and left channel are identical or pretty close to identical.

Schreiber
12-01-2012, 12:09 PM

I did that forever, never had any problems really. Just a simple adapter that had both rca female to XLR Male. Had to do it with the Mixtrack pro I had, only had RCA outputs. Now that I've got an S4, I generally run the 1/4" outputs, but never have had any problems trying the same setup I used to use.

djscrizzle
12-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Here's what you NEED to do... First, get a DI box in between you and the house rig.

Second, get a dual RCA to XLR cable. You'll be re-building this cable, so if you have a Guitar Center or other music store around, get the less expensive offering.

You'll cut off the 2 XLR males, then strip back some cable on the longer freed up cable.

Solder two 470 (yellow/purple/brown/gold) or 600-ohm (grey/black/brown/gold color code) 5% 1/4 watt resistors into Pin 2 of the XLR. Should be easy to do, since most XLRs can take upto #18 wire.

Put the sleeve/chuck/etc of the XLR back on to the RCA's cables... You wont have a chance to after this step!

Cut the resistor's tails to about 3/8" long (that's 10-12mm) Take the free ends of the resistors and connect the center conductors of the RCA cables to the resistors. Heatshrink tubing insulates these solder joints.

The grounds off the RCA cables both hit pin 1 of the XLR. Do NOT bond the case of the XLR to ground. You'll get a nasty humming sound that is a real PIG to locate if you happen to connect the chassis, so ONLY connect pin 1 to the shields of the rca leads. Heatshrink these for mechanical protection.

Also apply heatshrink tubing to the two RCA cables for more strain relief protection out the rear of the single XLR.

Put it all back together. Did you remember to heatshrink insulate the resistors and other connections you've made?

Congrats! you've just made yourself a RCA to XLR Summing cable.

Now take that extra male XLR you have and go make yourself a DMX terminator plug with a 1/2 watt 120 ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3. You probably need one anyway, and now is the perfect time to, since your soldering iron is already hot.

The other less DIY-intensive (but more costly) option is to grab ya a PC-DI box, made by Whirlwind (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/328757-REG/Whirlwind_PCDI_pcDI_Stereo_Direct_Box.html) or another company...