PDA

View Full Version : House First for me

g-sep
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
A little something I've been working on in Ableton. Trying to get the hang of music production. Written in Dm. Funky bassline.
Let me know what you all think!! :tup:

http://soundcloud.com/dj-g-sep/funky-1

Edit: Of course I don't know how to embed a Soundcloud player into my post, durr!
Edit 2: I fixed it, thanks Xyloft!!!

xyloft
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
ha... stripe had to fix mine for the same reason.

soundcloud /soundcloud in brackets []

g-sep
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM
http://soundcloud.com/dj-g-sep/funky-1

ohhhh like this, now i get it

drumpusher
02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Boost the levels on that bassline! A lot better than most's first effort dude, better than my first attempt.

JohnXVI
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Nice and minimalistic. Good job :tup:

ilya
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Really nice first effort man! Random thoughts...
- I'd ditch the panning on the hi-hats, it comes off as too much & ultimately distracting (for me). In general, they seem a little sharp without much body - I'd consider a hit that fills space a little bit more. Subtle variations in things like sample length & reverb % (esp on your percussion) can go a really long way when you're working with so few elements especially with tracks like these with a really minimal aesthetic.
- Kick drum is a little too up front, try shelfing some of that mid-range 'knock' and making it go deeper or maybe use a sample with more body in the sub region to round out your track's lows some.
- Dig the bassline, definitely funky & nice sound! especially the variation that comes in around 2:20 @ the breakdown. I think the track could also benefit from teasing little bits of that breakdown earlier in the track. Volume boost would help too.
- Cool floating chords, done really tastefully
Keep at it man, I like your style :)

de.j.l
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I enjoyed the listen, sounds like a desk jam. I am in the same boat in learning production, its a lot of work but tons of fun the whole way through. The advice that has been given to me at this point has been very helpful to me so I am going to pass it on. As you listen to your desired music and hear a specific sound you want to replicate with your own splash, do EVERYTHING in your power to learn that technique because it is not the structure of your music that is the most important right now but it is the techniques and tricks you obtain and learn to master that will further better your productions in the future. Pick a sound and stick to it, abuse it in every way possible so you fully understand the way it works. And slowly blend all your tricks together.

Your techniques you learn along with way will be your own arsenal at hand to shape your personal style as a producer. It is said that it takes 1,000-1,500 projects for you to truly figure out your own style. Keep that in mind as you progress into the art of production.

I consider my first work as projects rather then tracks, just food for thought.

Take care and hopefully you're enjoying yourself as much as I am :).

Cheers.

g-sep
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone!! I totally thought I would have been notified of this thread when responses came in. I'm taking all of the advice given above by you guys and using it in my next project! :tup:
You've all been +repped

LeFresh
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Whatsup G-Sep!

I'm not really a fan of the panned hi hats, but i'm really diggin the bassline!

g-sep
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Whatsup G-Sep!

I'm not really a fan of the panned hi hats, but i'm really diggin the bassline!

Thanks for the listen!

Yeah I just checked the hats, I had an LFO set to random going to the pan, which was all the way over. Fixed that. Gonna work on this some more now and see how far I can get tonight.

durr I would rep you, but I'm all out for the day :(