PDA

View Full Version : Not The Way You Planned

YoungSoundz
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
So last weeked I did a family friends sweet 16, the party turned out to be awesome and some of the girls said they might want to use me for their sweet 16's as well. But something I didnt really get was that I went in thinking it was going to top 40, and maybe some club remixes, and all of a sudden I'm getting requests for No Beef by Afrojack not my usual sweet 16 song and and the crowd reaction was insane I just kept going with some other songs similar to that. So I was just wondering if you guys have gone into a gig expecting one thing and after reading the crowd come up with something completely different.

Lazerick
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the real world of being a DJ, taking cues, feeling the vibe, and reading the crowd correctly is what made it a awesome night. Most people do not realize that noting ever goes the way you planned so planning sets for an entire night and sticking to it could end badly. Awesome job :tup:

Djmike209
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
That's what it's all about!

Shay.ca
02-15-2012, 11:28 PM
I love it when that happens, haha I did a party for some 14 year olds and did the top 40, we ended up in rap and hip hop all night, it was fun!

Manu
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I stopped planning as soon as I noticed it never goes according to plan. Welcome to the wonderful and unpredictable world of DJs

DJ Scotch
02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Welcome to the read deal brother. Never walk into a party with a fix thing in a mind. Just go with the flow, read the crowed, don't try new things if the floor is packed. Keep the flow going and you will get a very satisfied customer.

Cheers!!

djnotapplicable
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Everyone is right in saying that you never REALLY know what you are getting yourself into. However, high school kids are deep into the EDM scene now. All they want to hear (in my experience) is mainstream stuff like Skrillex, Steve Aoki, Avicci, etc. I don't really have any complaints about that either. Cuz I HATE top 40 haha

DYM
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Sweet 16s...

- Get a playlist from the girl
- Go into the gig blind and have fun

Works so far, just have an open mindset!

Interracial Tea
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Afrojack is mainstream, bro.

djnotapplicable
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks for pointing that out "BRO". I never said he wasn't.

I was just listing examples

DJNR
02-16-2012, 01:43 PM

I think what where he was going with that is that those kinds of requests aren't at your usual Sweet 16 party which seems to be normal dominated by Top 40 tracks.

DJTJ
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
you are so lucky as the only edm songs i can get away with is levels and some shm.... damn you hahaha o remixes too but house isnt big yet in my school its just starting too tho which is making me happy

DJMC
02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Here in Sacramento -- "Afrojack" would be considered cutting edge music (for a mobile at a sweet sixteen party).

Just as a case in point, I've never had a request for any of his/their music, ever!

YoungSoundz
02-16-2012, 05:04 PM
you are so lucky as the only edm songs i can get away with is levels and some shm.... damn you hahaha o remixes too but house isnt big yet in my school its just starting too tho which is making me happy

when i got the request my eyes lit up and this party turned into basically a frat party minus the alcohol and spinning EDM has always been more of my preferred music to spin so I was pretty happy with it but just totally caught off guard by the afrojack request. I also received a request later that night for Bangduck another afrojack (not your typical sweet 16 song)