PDA

View Full Version : Mackie Thump Powered Subs

LiveWireCS
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Thinking of selling a pair of Gemini (<---I know go easy on me) Powered Subs ad getting a pair of the Mackie Thump Powered Subs. Is this an improvement? Can one Thump replace my 2 Gemini's? Anyone have experience with the THUMP Subs?

(P.S. I missed this forum..glad to have it back!)

DJHoss
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
What are the Gemini's? Powered? What model, how much? I need some subs for an emergency by next Friday, and I am on a strict budget. Thanks :tup:

DJAkash
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I have only heard horror stories about mackies thump line. What is you price range, The price of 700 dollars is very close to a good sub called the Yorkville Ls720p, Mike from audiopyle can get you it for a little more. And it will I believe do more than you could expect from a thump no doubt.

Al Poulin
02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
The Thump tops AND Thump subs are all very weak - output wise. They sound good, just limit very quickly...

The LS720P is excellent (best placed shooting into a corner or near a wall though) OR the 701P is great as well. The 701P actually has more output than the 720P but doesn't sound as good due to the bandpass design which maximizes output at the cost of accuracy. Both are reliable and come with a 2 year unconditional ''even if you break it'' warranty.

Al

jazzyj
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
I have 2 thump tops - used em for a year - only 1 complaint - had to do a warranty switch - but otherwise, have worked perfectly for the work I've done.

However... will be switching to bigger Yorkville as the business grows.

mainstreamdjs
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I used to work at this small lounge that had two of the Thump subs.....this place would hold less than 100 people- those subs were always giving problems or being worked on. I recommend those subs to do small private functions...i wouldnt go big with them or pound the hell out of them.

DJzrule
02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I own the Thump 12A tops, which have a LOT more output than the Thump 15's (they Thump 15's have a lot more compression as they'd like to squeeze more bass output out of them). I've briefly tried the subs and I'm considering going back to test them again. I'd love the extra low end and not have to carry around my older subs.

Subzeero
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I own the Thump 12A tops, which have a LOT more output than the Thump 15's (they Thump 15's have a lot more compression as they'd like to squeeze more bass output out of them). I've briefly tried the subs and I'm considering going back to test them again. I'd love the extra low end and not have to carry around my older subs.

I find that hard to believe, since the 15As are rated 121 db max and the 12As are rated 120 db max.

This evidence from the manuals does not support your statement.

Can you explain this compression theory and squeezing out more bass?

I have never heard of this and I think that you must have this confused with something else or that someone has given you some poor advice.

Al Poulin
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I find that hard to believe, since the 15As are rated 121 db max and the 12As are rated 120 db max.

This evidence from the manuals does not support your statement.

Can you explain this compression theory and squeezing out more bass?

I have never heard of this and I think that you must have this confused with something else or that someone has given you some poor advice.

The original Tapco thump 15s were rated 113DBs continuous and 116DB peak. I have always criticized their low SPL capability. A forum member actually did tests himself last year and came up with the almost exact same SPL ratings - meaning the Mackie/Tapco specifications were indeed correct - and weak...

Al

jazzyj
02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
The original Tapco thump 15s were rated 113DBs continuous and 116DB peak. I have always criticized their low SPL capability. A forum member actually did tests himself last year and came up with the almost exact same SPL ratings - meaning the Mackie/Tapco specifications were indeed correct - and weak...

Al

There's another guy on another forum on QSC who did his test on Mackie 15A's too - he said his tests came within 1db of the stated SPL's in the spec sheet.

Another guy on there pointed out:

" trust your ears, if it sounds OK then it sure is OK. "

Subzeero
02-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Al

I am aware of that information provided by djtechnovibe.

What I was pointing out to the poster was that his comment could not possibly be true based on the output numbers.

The 12" Thumps could not possibly have alot more output than the 15" version.

DJzrule
I own the Thump 12A tops, which have a LOT more output than the Thump 15's .........

(they Thump 15's have a lot more compression as they'd like to squeeze more bass output out of them). I've briefly tried the subs and I'm considering going back to test them again. I'd love the extra low end and not have to carry around my older subs.

windspeed36
02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I'd actually be looking at replacing your tops first: RCF312A or JBL PRX612/615 all at around $1000 a pair if not cheaper second hand

DJzrule
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Its my personal experience that the 15's sound more compressed and hit limited before the 12's. The 12's had crisper mids and a punchier sound than the 15's.