PDA

View Full Version : Deep House!

Turniton
10-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Hello djs!

The 2 genres I'm more used to playing/listening to are Progressive House & Electro House. However, I'm really starting to be into Deep House! I would like to hear from experienced deep house djs if there are any specific mixing/blending techniques for this specific genre, since I'm not really used to djing it. Sharing your point of view on the main differences about djing Deep House and Prog/Electro House would also be really appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance for all your tips guys!

Regards from Brazil!!!

AdrianR
10-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Brazillian Deep House.. Now there's a scene I'd love to break into! :D

Just make it smoothe champ. It's a mild, relaxing and hypnotic genre whilst at the same time funky and dancey. Don't be in a hurry to pump too much energy into but at the same time don't make it a lifeless thing either.

Nicadraus
10-21-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm a deep house guy too. I first fell in love with the genre back in 2000 when I heard the track "Breaking It Down" by Miguel Migs. Been hooked up since. There are so many artists to check. Miguel Migs, Rasmus Faber, Julius Papp, Mark Farina, Knee Deep, Spiritchaser, Ross Couch, Kaskade (old tracks), Andy Caldwell (old tracks), Ben Watt, and so many more. Soulful House is a sub-genre of Deep House which compliments each other very, very well.

Just make your mixes as clean as possible and learn to differentiate the keys (although I don't and will never use Mixed-In-Key). Bass lines are very important. Do not overlay them in a transitions if they are off-key. :)

BlueSwan
10-21-2012, 03:08 AM
^^
I'd add Maceo Plex. My favourite deep house artist of the moment. "Ain't That Love" in particular.

AdrianR
10-21-2012, 03:27 AM
No look guys, I think you have forgotten the masters of Deep House?

And I don't mean Masters At Work. (Though they are to.) Ahem...

INLAND KNIGHTS!

Love em! :D and also Joey Youngman.

Sublim&All
10-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Absolotely love Joey Youngman (although I think it's quite active for deep house, rather call it jackin' house), Miguel Migs (being quite exotic) and Mark Farina. I myself love a 'positive'-sounding melody so not all deep house is my cup of tea, but more exotic vibes and sub genres like soulful house really are the shit for me.

IMO, deep house is more about letting the music speak. It's power is the emotion it brings, and this should in no way be blocked by cocky fx use and beatmashing (as happens way too much in progressive/electro house sets). I also find it hard to do much more than outtro/intro mixing without ruining the melodic vibe.

Mundo
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Soulful a sub-genre of deep ? Mmmm, dont' know about that one but to each their own. Easy to mix into and out of for lack of vocals, generally mid-tempo. Like dude said, let the music speak. No accessories needed. Moody music. Meditative. Theres some uptempo bangers that walk the line into jack as well.

Artists that jump out my head: Ron Trent/Glenn Underground/Shonky/MoodyManc/Mr V./Lars B./MANIK

Nicadraus
10-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Soulful a sub-genre of deep

Yes it is.

Mundo
10-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Let's see. Disco-(Danceable R&B/Soul). Add early beat machines and tape edits-Underground. Samplers and synths-Chicago House. Think (Jaime Principle-Your Love/J.M. Silk-Music is the key :Still Soulful) . Up the tempo, drop the vocals-Detroit Techno. Ask Derrick May what he originally wanted to name techno. Acid, Hip-House and the million other "sub genres" came after. Early deep to me is Larry Heard but the base of it all is soulful.

Deep and Soulful house's lines always get blurred due to similar bpms, rhythms and feel. Feel is what the music is about. You say tomato.

Estacy
10-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, when I browse trough traxsource and all their different house subgenres, I just pick and match. Don't use your eyes, but use your ears to pick what you like.

And deep house? let the music speak. effects? don't use them. Build tension with the right tracks, playing with volume and EQ'ing, thats all you need

Nicadraus
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
And deep house? let the music speak. effects? don't use them. Build tension with the right tracks, playing with volume and EQ'ing, thats all you need

I do effects on my deep house sets. A little flanger, filter, echo & delay. It always depends how you use them. Just don't over do it.

AdrianR
10-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Yeah I agree with Nicadraus guys.

See I view it from a Producers perspective though. Listen to the music you are playing. It's FULL of flanges, filters, phasers and so forth. (Depending on what 'style' of Deep House you're listening to.) But I think it's ok to use effects so long as it's done in a way that enhances the production values of the song you're mixing. Like sometimes, a phaser will make a track sound filthy Warehouse to me and I fucking love it. Reverb also. Flanges are more, a Trance thing but, they do have their place.

Don't be afraid to mix Funky or Soulful House into it. Trust me. NO ONE who is TRULY into House and UNDERSTANDS House will hate you if you play a jackin House song in a Deep House set. TRUST ME! House is the ultimate music of acceptance, tolerance and understanding. You can be playing a House set, and suddenly find a bunch of Gangsters there or Goths or what ever and you'll be able to find a House track that samples something they will know that will make them feel more comfortable in the crowd.

Turniton
10-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Thank you very much guys for all your helpful tips! :D

I'll follow all of your tips and keep playing, messing around until I start feeling more comfortable mixing Deep House and its sub-genres!

By the way, in case any of you have Deep House mixtapes, why not sharing with us?! :dance:

Best wishes from Brazil!

Nicadraus
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Here's one I did a long time ago (2005).

http://www.mix.dj/index.php?act=medias&CODE=view&s_id=4751&dj=Nicadraus&mixtitle=Deep_Tempo_Too

Enjoy! :)

Matt Lillz
10-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Here's one I did a long time ago (2005).

http://www.mix.dj/index.php?act=medias&CODE=view&s_id=4751&dj=Nicadraus&mixtitle=Deep_Tempo_Too

Enjoy! :)

Listening now, sounds really chill!

Daniel S
10-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Here's a bunch of mixes I've done over the years:
http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/daniel%20s

Magnofon
10-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi there, good to hear you're looking into Deep House - I've spun all sorts over the years, but my real love has to be deep House. At first, I bought records for 'listening' as I didn't think I'd get chance to spin something more chilled but I surprised myself later on and was playing it all over the place.

I have a Mixcloud account with a few Deep House mixes here: http://www.mixcloud.com/magnofon/
Deep is a pretty wide genre really, with lots of sub-genres and moods but I try and cover as much as I can in my mixes.

Also, I run a Deep House blog with charts, mixes, productions, events etc so might be worth checking out: http://magnofon.blogspot.com

Antidote Music
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Here's some more deep house for you . . . . ! :)

http://mmely.podomatic.com/entry/2012-12-19T10_53_48-08_00

The Antidote Experience (December Edition) - Mixed By Brainz of The Antidotes featuring music from:

Huxley
Tom Ellis
Jonny Cade
Meterius Johnson
P.Laoss
Penner & Muder

Enjoy . . . . . . . !