PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Websites?

Sween
02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I noticed some guys in my area having multiple websites or even different names.

Anybody else do that sort of thing?

Is this something that can help SEO placement?

Or maybe just buy some different domain names? Will that help or is Google too smart for that?

Djmike209
02-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Simple answer: yes.

Use domain names that people will search like Phillydj.com or weddingdjphilly.com
Link that site back to your main site. Backlinks are a good way to up your google ratings and bump you up the list.

I think we have about 7 domains we own.

Sween
02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Well... most of the good ones are taken. I can get a .net only with top keywords.

Do they need to have separate content? Do I link them to the same page? How would you recommend setting it up?

Rek_Aviles
02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Use domain names that people will search like Phillydj.com or weddingdjphilly.com
Link that site back to your main site. Backlinks are a good way to up your google ratings and bump you up the list.

http://backlinksforseo.com/ (http://backlinksforseo.com/)

Sween
02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Okay... so backlinks are good. Which I kind of already knew.

But for instance... I host through webs with a premium account. If I buy another domain name and keep it as my non-primary domain name... I can't put unique content on it, it just links to my current page. So will that even help? AKA - PARKING the new domain name...

Or do I need to have separate HOSTING as well? Paying for a completely separate account... putting unique content on that page? <--That would be a major pain in the ass.

EDIT- I'm reading on and it seems there is not much help to PARKING separate domain names to the same site... because Google will realize it as one site anyway.

BUT - If I buy a domain name and set it up on a different account... let's say a page more geared to ME personally as a DJ... which has links to my Company website. Big help?

Djmike209
02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
The main page is different
For example for the modestodj.com site the main page says Modesto Disc Jockeys with all the same info as my main site.

But when you click on the contact tab it takes you to the contact us on my main site.
So you dont have to recreate the wheel.

DJMC
02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not completely sold on this multiple domain idea.

Case in point: I do not abide by this practice, yet my web site (a single domain) completely dominates the non-sponsored results in my key words (Sacramento weddings, Sacramento DJs, Sacramento wedding DJs).

Buying all those domains and paying the registration for all of them, would cost more than simply practicing good SEO principles for a single domain.

Of course --- the domain I chose (DJ-MC.com) is probably one of the best possible URLs, as its short (5 characters or less) and it contains TWO of the 9 key words from my site ("DJ" and "MC"/"emcee").

Sween
02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, let's just say I'm the proud new owner of phillyweddingdj.net I kind of jumped on it because although it's not a dot com, it's still a powerful domain I think. I got it for 5 years now... and if I boost it's value it will be worth something.

I'm debating whether I want the site to just mirror to my main company site... or setup something new altogether.

My options:
1. Forward to my main site.
2. Make it a site for all Philly DJ's and try to sell spots on the site. (of course my site gets top priority)
3. Same as 2, but ONLY list my site... greedy bastard approach.
4. Make it a page for DJ Chris only with backlinks back to my main site.

Another thing... I own the domain now, but my hosting is on the "free" level, meaning it has ads... do I need to pony up and make it ad free or can I achieve the same effect with ads on the site.

DJMC
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Actually -- "Philly-wedding-dj.com" (with hyphens) would be a stronger domain than the one Sween chose.

Reason: the key words being separated by a hyphen, allows Google to crawl the words!

Which is why is was so lucky that "DJMC.com" (no hyphen) was already taken by a North Carolina furniture company when I was choosing domains.

"DJ-MC" properly separates the words, allowing the crawler bots to see both "DJ" and "MC" when it indexes my site in search results.

Sween
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Actually -- "Philly-wedding-dj.com" (with hyphens) would be a stronger domain than the one Sween chose.

Reason: the key words being separated by a hyphen, allows Google to crawl the words!

Which is why is was so lucky that "DJMC.com" (no hyphen) was already taken by a North Carolina furniture company when I was choosing domains.

"DJ-MC" properly separates the words, allowing the crawler bots to see both "DJ" and "MC" when it indexes my site in search results.

Well... let's just say I just got a deal on philly-wedding-dj.com too. Man I'm spending cash today! J/k overall I'm not spending much.

Now what to do with these sites?

DJMC
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
lots of "redirects" (its an HTML coding that I do not understand and will not begin to try).

Rek_Aviles
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
quick Meta tag for a simple redirect.

meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2;url=http:// whatever the URL is /"

* the #2 is the number of seconds to wait until the redirect. Change it to w.e., but I always seen this set to 2 and is probably the least amount of time to wait before applying to avoid any crashes.

Sween
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
But is just redirecting the best thing to do? Or is it better to have a separate site with backlinks?

Sween
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Good thing I bought them for cheap cause I just read an article saying multiple domains are a very bad thing for SEO...

http://www.seo.com/blog/multiple-domains-seo/

301 redirect here we come...

Except my host won't allow 301 redirect... FML.

Ntertainment
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I own a lot of domain names, I think one of my competitors feels i'm infringing on the name of his business with one of them. But i've checked with trademark lawyers and i'm good. But I think i have about 15 of them i track there ranking on google the best that i can. I have adwords acounts with each one to make sure i place on the top page for each name i think would be searched. adwords make it really easy to track which searchs are clickthroughs. I'm supprised at which ones are most clicked.