PDA

View Full Version : Stanton 680HP vs Shure M44-7 for scratching?

carpetfluff
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
I've heard a lot about how the Shure M44-7 cartridges are the best for scratching, but until now I've just been using the Stanton 680HP cartridges that shipped with my turntables. I'm just wondering if anyone has used both cartridges and can tell me whether I'd notice much of a difference if I were to buy the Shures?

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but if I were to buy the Shure M44-7H cartridges (the M44-7 pre-mounted on a Technics headshell), would these headshells be compatible with my Stanton STR8-150 turntables? Also, my 680HP cartridges came mounted at an angle in Stanton HS-4 headshells - is this because the STR8-150s have a straight tonearm? If so, would I need to similarly angle the Shures in the Technics headshell if I were to buy them? Alternatively, could I mount the M44-7s in the Stanton HS-4 headshells I currently own?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm new to this :) thanks in advance for any advice.

Estacy
10-19-2012, 07:01 AM
angling the cart in a straight tonearm on a dj table is a really bad idea, it should be straight. and you don't need the m44-7 with a headshell, your turntable already has a headshell. disasemble the 680 and put in the 44-7 according to the instruction manual. saves you money.

And any cartridge works with any turntable. standard 4 pin screw fitting. not every needle fits on every cart though.

Sigma
10-19-2012, 08:02 AM
I also have a set of STR8-150s that came with those carts. I found them to be poor in terms of tracking the record and got rid of them on eBay pretty sharpish.

Shure M44-7s are way better if scratching is your thing. Buying the H version makes it easier to fit them as it's a straight swap for your existing headshells/carts, plus you can sell the 680HP already mounted to a headshell too, but as Estacy said, you don't have to do that. You can get the regular M44-7 and mount them yourself - it's not difficult.

carpetfluff
10-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a pair of M44-7 cartridges.

angling the cart in a straight tonearm on a dj table is a really bad idea, it should be straight

Estacy - do you mean that the cartridge shouldn't be angled outwards? I know about the 23 degree outward angle used on a S-shaped tonearm to simulate a straight tonearm, which I agree would be a bad idea if done on a straight tonearm. However, I meant that that my 680HP cartridges are currently angled inwards as shown in this image: http://i.imgur.com/Ypvw1.jpg

The headshell has little dots on it to help you get the angle right. I assume angling the cartridge inwards like this has the effect of simulating an S-shaped tonearm to reduce record wear? Am I right in thinking that, by having my cartridges set up like this, I'm missing out on the skip-resistance benefits of a straight tonearm? If don't angle my cartridges at all then will it be better for scratching, but wear my records out faster?

DTR
10-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I assume angling the cartridge inwards like this has the effect of simulating an S-shaped tonearm to reduce record wear?

That's the idea, but it doesn't work. No matter how you angle the cart on a short straight tonearm it will not replicate an s-shaped arm. It is best to keep the cart straight.

lburners
10-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah the 680 is not a good scratching needle. I have used both and actually went back to the 680 for the audio quality but the Shure tracks like a beast if your into cutting or juggling.

Estacy
10-24-2012, 01:41 PM
the needle is pointed inward on most straight tonearms (look at hi-fi tonearms) but those are longer than the arms on a scratching table. Those arms are too short to benefit from an angled cart. And on an S shaped arm, angling the cart outwards will make it track better, but it eats records like crazy. best is to keep the cart in line with the headshell.

sixtysix
10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
m44-7s for sure.

jimsa
11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice, I also recently got the ST150's. This is my second turntable and for the life of me I cannot get it to stop skipping. My TT500 with the M44-7 is pretty darn good when it comes to no skip, but for some reason I can't get the 680 to not skip (this is when scratching, it's fine otherwise). Am I just not setting the tone arm properly or do you think I should just get an M44-7 for it as well? =S. Sorry to threadjack! Thought it might be related to OP's post though.

DTR
11-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Nice, I also recently got the ST150's. This is my second turntable and for the life of me I cannot get it to stop skipping. My TT500 with the M44-7 is pretty darn good when it comes to no skip, but for some reason I can't get the 680 to not skip (this is when scratching, it's fine otherwise). Am I just not setting the tone arm properly or do you think I should just get an M44-7 for it as well? =S. Sorry to threadjack! Thought it might be related to OP's post though.

The M44-7 is a better cart for scratching, you'd be better off with a pair of those