PDA

View Full Version : DMX LED par can turns on randomly

Azzdawg
10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm a volunteer sound and lighting technician at the church, and one of the LED par cans won't always turn off when it is disconnected from the power. The lighting board is unplugged from the mains power, so is the LED par can, but it's still on bright as ever and will stay on (but only just) until the next morning (unless I plug it back into the mains power outlet then unplug it again). As I understand, the power comes from the capacitor that reduces strain on the power system to stop the circuit breakers tripping while in strobe mode. Sometimes, it will even turn on randomly during the day (remembering that ALL sound/lighting equipment is disconnected from the powerpoint, not just off at the unit) without receiving any DMX signals. No one at the church knows why.

Any help as to what can cause this is greatly appreciated.

Synaxis
10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
So to clarify, you have a LED par can, that when COMPLETELY disconnected from it power source, continues to run??

Hmmm, Are you sure it is not a battery powered unit by any chance? Can you blackout from the lighting board before unplugging it? Does it respond to DMX command?

If not, the unit is most likely defective somewhere on the inside.

Do you know the make and model of the LED par can? That might help.

STLRiverCity
10-17-2012, 10:16 PM
It's the devil.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Sounds like a defective light fixture. Hopefully it is under warranty, otherwise just replace it.

DJzrule
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I was thinking an unholy force...