PDA

View Full Version : EDM vs. Dance Music

Maikky
02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
So I've been reading on a few "famous" artist twitters and I see some are arguing that EDM should be renamed to "Dance Music"

Some arguments are that EDM has a negative tone to it or some "EDM" isn't really EDM, just to name a few .

I personally think that EDM is fine and it kind of feels like these certain artist are trying to force EDM into a mainstream structure instead of letting the mainstream adjust to EDM IMO .

Thoughts .

Abe Linkon
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
In the current amalgamation of pop music electronic sounds are starting to prevail. Combined with older pop artists tagging on with some of the up and coming DJs/producers this has created a very bloated sound for the music industry as a whole. Trying to figure out what you will hear when you hear the radio say: "Stay tuned for all the latest dance and club hits!" What kind of music is that? Club means that Hip-Hop, Jazz, EDM, or Top 40 is what you're going to hear. You can dance to anything. In fact I'm pretty sure a Gregorian Chant is the only type of music you shouldn't dance to.

Probably Guetta and his ilk vying for the name change to dance music, since his kind is doing to bloating anyways. It's a bunch of BS. It's EDM for a reason, it would have been confusing to call it just Dance music in the 80's. It'd be more confusing now.

Andrew B
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I use them interchangeably. :shrug:

Schreiber
02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm with Andrew-it's the same thing.

Maikky
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Well some of the "Top" artist don't think so .

I didn't really mind much until I read what some said .

Abe Linkon
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Can you link some of these posts? I guess and ranted off of a baseless generalization, I'd prefer to have a more specialized rant. :)

Maikky
02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Can you link some of these posts? I guess and ranted off of a baseless generalization, I'd prefer to have a more specialized rant. :)

The most recent I can think of is Wolfgang Gartner's twitter .

I'd just google it .

Andrew B
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Just looked it up. So he's saying electronic music and dance music are different things. And that dubstep and d&b aren't dance music. Whatever, Joey. :rolleyes:

Maikky
02-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Just looked it up. So he's saying electronic music and dance music are different things. And that dubstep and d&b aren't dance music. Whatever, Joey. :rolleyes:

He also said he wanted to start a petition to abolish the term EDM .

And its funny when he says the difference between "Dance Music" and "Electronic Music" is the 4/4 when dnb has 4/4 (I think, I'm right right ?)

DeadPhr0g
02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
It's all Techno music.

Maikky
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
It's all Dubstep music.

ftfy .

Hausgeist
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
And its funny when he says the difference between "Dance Music" and "Electronic Music" is the 4/4 when dnb has 4/4 (I think, I'm right right ?)

You are correct, sir. I don't know why people insist on using "4/4", which is a time signature, when they mean "four on the floor", which is a drum pattern. :shrug:

aleksvanrohrer
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
In an essence all music is "electronic". It is as simple as a track being recorded in pro tools or has plug-ins and the list goes on to make it "electronic". So it is the exact same thing.

Abe Linkon
02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Haus beat me to it. 3/5 drum pattern go!!!!

OT: It defeats the purpose of nomenclature changes, if by changing it you automatically include the genre which you wish to ostracize. Dubstep kids and DnB kids love to dance more than most people I know. Should you not then consider Dubstep a "dance music?"

g-sep
02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I feel like "Dance Music" can encompass so much more than just EDM, such as dancehall, hip-hop, etc. because you can dance to all of them, and most people do.

login
02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
For me simply put is that there is dance music that is not electronic: salsa, merengue, son...

So EDM its the more accurate one.

aleksvanrohrer
02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I feel like "Dance Music" can encompass so much more than just EDM, such as dancehall, hip-hop, etc. because you can dance to all of them, and most people do.

You can dance to all music my friend.

g-sep
02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
You can dance to all music my friend.

My point exactly! I just didn't want to go down the long list of genres lol

Schreiber
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM

:lol: I'd classify music that people can dance to as "dance music". So if you're going to be technical, all music is dance music.

Wakka
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
im with y'all on this... EDM - Dance music.... its the same EDM- Electronic DANCE MUSIC :teef:

PONTUS.2
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
when referring to EDM

i usually just say "electronic shit" :teef:

Grifff
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I've always called it dance music, and I probably always will

mantis
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
wow, this came up again. about 5 years ago i was on some gothic/industrial/ synthpop forums and people were argying about the term EBM being too losely used in those circles, and today im on the djforums where people complain about the term edm.

Whatever gardner said, who cares. I usually just explain to people in as many words needed what kind of music i like. as for flyers for clubs, they can say the exact style the dj will be playing on the night (house, tech house, tribal, dnb)

BuddyUK
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Glen Miller is fcuking dance music

Atomisk
02-14-2012, 11:59 PM
It's all Techno music.

This. :shrug:

JonnyFlash
02-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Dance music is anything thats gets people to go out there and shake it and thats all that matter...

mrkleen
02-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Joey Youngman is one of the biggest TOOLBAGS in the business. I would take whatever he says - and do exactly the opposite.

Skeyelab
02-15-2012, 10:27 AM
these discussions are pointless

Smallz
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Joey Youngman is one of the biggest TOOLBAGS in the business. I would take whatever he says - and do exactly the opposite.

Which is too bad because he makes some superb tracks.

Marc S
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
i've always found it ironic that people get all bent up about it all being called "techno" then go and use the term "EDM" in the same sentence.

EDM is an american thing though, in europe the term "dance music" is the only one ive ever seen used. i've only ever seen EDM since joining this forum.

Andrew1207
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Well some of the "Top" artist don't think so .

I didn't really mind much until I read what some said .

Doesn't mean that they are rightful to think so, or wrong for that matter. There's not really any way to prove the terms mean one thing or the other, so it's pretty much going to be different for everyone.

I've always considered "dance music" to be interchangeable with EDM. Whenever you look at dance music charts, it's always edm type tracks. Yeah, you can dance to any music, but I think of the term "dance music" as being a genre, just like hip hop and rock, not as "this is music for dancing."

That said, I also consider EDM to be house, techno, trance, dubstep, dnb, breaks that all clearly have a strong affiliation with each other. Although, there are other electronic styles, such as rock/rap which use electronic elements (synths,drum machines,etc), that I don't consider EDM.

Basically, it's all subjective.

Skeyelab
02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Who's Wolfgang Gartner?

Grifff
02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
^^ Some electro DJ/producer

RDRCK
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Which is too bad because he used to make some superb tracks.

fixed :P

RDRCK
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
EDM is a construct of the music industry.

mrkleen
02-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Which is too bad because he makes some superb tracks.

If you like formulaic, paint by number, heard one - heard them all drivel. Sure.

Hausgeist
02-15-2012, 11:17 AM
iiGgip6q0n4

Smallz
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
fixed :P

i see what you did there. I still think he makes good tunes. :shrug:

Adzm00
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
EDM is an american thing though, in europe the term "dance music" is the only one ive ever seen used. i've only ever seen EDM since joining this forum.

^^ This

LeFresh
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
EDM and dance music are the same thing.

Well some of the "Top" artist don't think so.

Their opinions don't mean any more than anyone else's.

ilya
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
EDM is a construct of the music industry.

this thread is a construct of our collective stupidity.

so subscribed. :popcorn:

Maikky
02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
EDM and dance music are the same thing.

Their opinions don't mean any more than anyone else's.

I know that but their opinions are seen by more people, which will cause more people do etc thing and will cause etc thing to happen .

Imo

ilya
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM

oh and... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahah ahha.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Liam
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
When i'm speaking to stupid people i call it Dance Music, When i'm speaking to educated people it is EDM. Simples.

Smallz
02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
When i'm speaking to stupid people i call it Dance Music, When i'm speaking to educated people it is EDM. Simples.

Interesting. When I talk to stupid people, I call it techno.

ilya
02-15-2012, 03:14 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lkd99c.jpghttp://i44.tinypic.com/2emzh9j.jpg

Grifff
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM

The cultural differences between the UK and US are quite evident. When I speak to 'stupid' people who don't know any of the genres I call it dance music, it's like an umbrella term. When I am talking to people who are 'in the know' I call it techno (as that is mostly what I listen to)

DJNR
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM

What? That's pretty stupid. I actually really like Wolfgang Gartner, it surprises me that he would get bent on something so trivial. Personally, I call it EDM, but if it SHOULD be called Dance Music, then fine.

The only thing I'm really particular about when it comes to this kind of thing is the classification of specific genres, but not the overarching umbrella term.

Hygro
02-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I call it dance. I called it EDM for a bit, and while I appreciated it's technical sound

I was going to call EDM "electro" (it's not hip hop, it's electro! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02-BtZ1bxE)) but that was like a year before electro house and stuff come about.

I recently started calling it all techno again. Just to fuck with people. My high school self would hate me for it.

Who's Wolfgang Gartner?

Sort of the equilibrium point between the really good electro house and the most popular electro house. I would think as a mastering/mixing boss who does this kind of music you'd know him. He damn near invented, and pretty much popularized 2011-2012's electro sound back in 2009.

Ocie
02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
it's electro, prick. hahahaha i totally forgot about shaun of the dead.

carry on with the pointless debate everyone.

Xzentric
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
When big fat stupid people....

I.e americans

Take over an existing formula that has worked for the past decade but want to make it their own but in the process water it down into unrecognisable generic pop.....

(i have an idea me old yankee dododle, lets throw a bieber accapella over a 4/4 beat and all us freshers can pop a couple of x and fist pump the night away..... Fucking stoked dude.. Yeeeeeerrrrrrrrr)

They call it EDM!

Real clever people. They call it dance music. Because that is what they have always called it and it always will be called Dance music.

Proceed to wang me.

Narrfffffffff!

Andrew B
02-15-2012, 10:59 PM
^^ You understand that House and Techno started in the US, right?

NickyNines
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Does it really matter what you call it anyways?

I'm going to call it all Lamp.

I Love Lamp
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMuvUjLQv3wxAoGz2C3zF6nwaGg8otQ bdaW0wv5uf1QvwZrPr95jl-suLvfg

DJNR
02-15-2012, 11:27 PM

I.e americans

Take over an existing formula that has worked for the past decade but want to make it their own but in the process water it down into unrecognisable generic pop.....

(i have an idea me old yankee dododle, lets throw a bieber accapella over a 4/4 beat and all us freshers can pop a couple of x and fist pump the night away..... Fucking stoked dude.. Yeeeeeerrrrrrrrr)

They call it EDM!

Real clever people. They call it dance music. Because that is what they have always called it and it always will be called Dance music.

Proceed to wang me.

Narrfffffffff!

What...?

Hygro
02-15-2012, 11:49 PM

I.e americans

They call it EDM!

Proceed to wang me.

Narrfffffffff!
Or rather we called it EDM to distinguish it from Cascada, Rank1, Vengaboys or that other ilk. EDM as a term got popular about 6 years ago, before this whole trend go underway. It was used because there wasn't a good word for it, electronica started as a bad name, techno meant something specific, and dance was half getting to be a bad name and half too inclusive of other genres. EDM was never a marketing term for pop mashups.

Also the UK has about as many obese people as the US.

Grifff
02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
^^ Not to go too off topic, but I think that percentage wise the UK and US are similar in levels of obesity. But as America has a higher population, there are more obese people in terms of actual numbers

Adzm00
02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
^^ You understand that House and Techno started in the US, right?

Sort of true. Kraftwek etc. But you guys rejected that shit, that is why Juan, Derrick and co came to London/Europe.

^^ Not to go too off topic, but I think that percentage wise the UK and US are similar in levels of obesity. But as America has a higher population, there are more obese people in terms of actual numbers

Yeah, we do, Americans are fatter though. What was it you lot came up with a while back, Deep Fried Butter? :puke:

Marc S
02-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Also the UK has about as many obese people as the US.

not true AT ALL, same % of people who are overweight yes, but the difference is the average (these figures are online, i cant be arsed to look right now since i'm out the house) british person who is over weight is 20lbs, the average overweight american is 60lbs.

we still have a big problem with overweight people here, but the stats are skewed, 1 person who is 200lbs counts the same as a 400lbs person too, and that is the difference.

anyway, back on topic.

mrkleen
02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Sort of true. Kraftwek etc. But you guys rejected that shit, that is why Juan, Derrick and co came to London/Europe.

Yeah, thats why they call them the Belleville Three....after the neighborhood in London. :lol: