PDA

View Full Version : What scratch should I learn after the baby scratch?

DJArmani
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm just starting out scratching on my month-old 1210s and serato. I mastered the baby scratch on hiphop and currently working on baby scratching over house, just for practice w/ fast tempos. Is there a certain order in which you learn to scratch? I was thinking practicing the chirp scratch next. Thoughts?

scottie the goonie
02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Learn how to transform, then chirp

DJArmani
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
^ thanks !

funkyfresh
02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
transforms, forward/backward stabs, chirps... once you get that down, try them at double timed

Jason Cerna
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
besides what has been mentioned:

http://youtu.be/10G96Lx1_Ek

http://youtu.be/1gCjsjVmqNQ

the best thing you can do for yourself is focus on these scratches so you can do them without thinking. focus on slow, deliberate movements. you want that muscle memory built up before you try the more advanced scratches.

Sigma
02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
As well as the above, I would go for these: -

Tips
Drags
Forwards

They're all pretty easy to learn and you can start doing some combos once you've got them down, for instance Marches (which Jason mentioned above) are done by combining babies and forwards.

Chirps and transforms are the next step up from these kinds of scratches, as are tears, as you're doing more complex movements with the fader and/or record. There's no reason why you can't learn those first though as long as you don't neglect all of the basic scratches as they're the building blocks for more complex ones later on.

DJArmani
02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah I've been doing marches, I just never knew they were called marches.. And thanks for all the different scratches, I've seen alot of advanced ones but I never knew the simple ones..

Haddock
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Just read an article about how you can't get through a forum without seeing something about the DJ Angelo tutorials on Youtube.

He's got sixteen tutorials starting with the basics and going all the way through juggling. They are extremely detailed and informative.

djkvg
02-14-2012, 10:21 PM
umm i would say drops and tears. work on the faderless scratches first.

Hamza21
02-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm just starting out scratching on my month-old 1210s and serato. I mastered the baby scratch on hiphop and currently working on baby scratching over house, just for practice w/ fast tempos. Is there a certain order in which you learn to scratch? I was thinking practicing the chirp scratch next. Thoughts?

Learn the scratches in order they were invented. It took ten years to go from baby to transforming. It took another 10 years to go from transforming to crab so don't rush it.

Baby
Forwards
Tips
Scribbles
Chops
Stabs
Drags
Chirps
Tears
Transform

After you learn how to transform you will have all skills to needed to learn any scratch.

DJArmani
02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
this is exactly what i was looking for ! ^