PDA

View Full Version : Headphones recommendations

KLH
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
What headphones do you guys recommend for new DJs just starting out?

IMHO, headphones need to have excellent sound quality, isolation, comfort, and replaceable parts. If I'm missing anything, please comment below.

Remember, this is for new DJs who are just starting out. So if you explain why you recommend what you do, your insight would be appreciated.

-KLH

Hausgeist
10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I do not think there are such things are "starter" headphones. IMO good headphones make all the difference in the world, whether it's in the bedroom or at a gig, and they are especially important when first starting. Headphones are one of the very few areas I would not suggest going the inexpensive route.

Hygro
10-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Xone HD-53s are great for DJing, great for listening, not so good for producing unless you want to think your music sounds amazing when it actually doesn't.

Mine are indestructible. 5.5 years and going strong.

Defiance
10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I just don't think you can go wrong with these at this price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-NEW-HOT-SONY-MDR-V700DJ-Studio-Monitor-DJ-Headphones-Free-Shipping-/251162639761?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item3a7a75bd91

I bought mine straight from HK 3 years ago, they might not be sony's but I swapped them out with another DJ's $120 dollar version of these for a night and there wasn't a difference. You could buy 5 of these for the price of one of $200, that might get stepped on, broke, stolen, lost, etc.

JackStalk
10-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I like Pioneer HDJ-1000s, but anything designed for DJs under $100 would be my recommendation.

djslik
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Sennheiser HD25-1 II mainly because they are rebuildable ie headband, earcups, cable can all be replaced if broken. They provide good sound isolation when mixing with 1 ear or completely in headphone. They are respected as an audiophile headphone in their own right so listening to music will be enjoyable outside of just DJing. Build quality is durable and has been proven in professional settings.

I agree that headphones aren't really entry level and there are many headphone dedicated forums out there such as Head-Fi that breakdown headphones on a very technical level both qualitative and quantitative.

Phil Noize
10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd recommend the HD-25 SP for the above reasons ^^, but the lower price would make them more affordable for a beginner.

HBBoogie
10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
I recommend Ultrasone HFI-450's to anybody looking to spend less than $100. ($69.95)

I think Ortofon used these for their O2 headphones, which I own. I paid about $150 for them and later found out they're just rebadged Ultrasones. I've used them almost everyday for the last two and half years now and they still work great. Isolation is Awesome, built pretty well, and have great sound too.

Stripe
10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I still love my Ultrasone DJ1s, been holding up like a champ for years now. Comfortable over a long period of time, nice frequency range, and really good isolation as well.

Never realized how muddy my prior sony's sounded before that. then again, they were beat to piss and a decade old.... yes, my sony's made it a decade. never really broke either, but finally developed stress cracks.

another set of cans I have been wanting to try are the vmoda crossfades.

Phil Noize
10-11-2012, 09:05 AM
The Crossfades are a bit too bass heavy IMO, to the detriment of the rest of the sound. They're pretty nice for just listening though.

Liam
10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
First recommendation is always Sennheiser HD25's or SP25's.

After that probably SONY MDR-V700..

Adzm00
10-26-2012, 07:25 AM
HD25's. There is a reason so many people use them, they sound awesome and the build quality is incredible. Its ok saying "headphones for beginners", but why bother getting a cheaper pair that you will need to upgrade when you can just buy 1 pair that will last you at least 10 years.

I had 2 pairs of AKG 181DJ, they are good headphones, except both pairs broke when the same fat headed friend pulled them on over his head.