PDA

View Full Version : Starting to learn scratching

Dharmaboy
10-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Hey guys,
i am new to the turtabalism world and scratching. i am following the great guides by DJ Angelo via youtube and I have some samples I purchased via beatport. I was wondering if there were any sites that had just sample tracks or break to practice scratching too?

Thanks

TheRabbitMonk
10-06-2012, 05:33 AM
it sounds to me like your learning on a cdj?
if so and they or it has a loop function. loop a intro or a bit of a track you like and scratch over that. A good way to learn is to slow it right down. as you get better speed it up.
a tune i use is: dr dre - n****a with a gun.

also alot of guys on here in track submission are always uploading mad of the wall tracks. some of them are quite good as well.

HBBoogie
10-06-2012, 05:51 AM
http://digital.thudrumble.com/

Sigma
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Here's tons of free scratch beats/loopers: -

http://yourlooper.com/

Here's a free skipless digital scratch record made by a member of my forum: -

http://www.mediafire.com/?x7s44ygyxle4fdd

The advantage of using loopers is that you have X number of beats that are triggered by clicking a little button on the looper. Once a beat is playing, it carries on looping indefinitely, so if you're zoning out and really getting into your practice session, you could cut for an hour or more without ever having to worry about resetting the beat.

Dharmaboy
10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Here's tons of free scratch beats/loopers: -

http://yourlooper.com/

Here's a free skipless digital scratch record made by a member of my forum: -

http://www.mediafire.com/?x7s44ygyxle4fdd

The advantage of using loopers is that you have X number of beats that are triggered by clicking a little button on the looper. Once a beat is playing, it carries on looping indefinitely, so if you're zoning out and really getting into your practice session, you could cut for an hour or more without ever having to worry about resetting the beat.

Thanks for the suggestion. Wondering why all the yourlooper downloads are exe files?

Dharmaboy
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Oh, i got it. Wow this is pretty dope. impressive stuff.

Sigma
10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
They are built in Flash and then packaged as standalone EXE files, so on Windows computers you just have to download and run them - no install or extra software required. Sometimes people will post them up as SWF files instead so that they'll run on other operating systems, but they're mostly EXEs.

Another option (for Windows users only unfortunately) is the DJ Focus looper: -

http://i.imgur.com/tEW2c.jpg

This one allows you to load up to 8 of your own loops, which you can trigger with keys on your keyboard. Each loop has its own volume control and - somewhat uniquely - its own pitch control too. You can also save/load groups of loops. To make a loop, just open a beat in a DAW, cut out the section you want and copy/paste it in the DAW to make sure it loops perfectly, then save it as a WAV.

Here's the download: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/focus.zip

DJhalf
10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
good stuff.

Dharmaboy
10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
So I have been working on the basics and I think i have transformers down, but I get terrible forearm pain on my fader hand when doing it. Am I holding the fader too hard closed with my thumb or is my grip on the fader just not relaxed enough?

Sigma
10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
You might get some pain, cos you're using muscles in a way they don't usually get used - and over and over again. But not being relaxed enough can also make that worse.

djslik
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Sounds like your are really trying to muscle the fader to be quick. Loosen up and relax a bit it doesn't take much effort to move that light fader you'll be suprised. I realized that a softer touch actually helped me tighten up some of my scratches.

Dharmaboy
10-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks Silk. I will try to ease up. I have a stock Djm3000.

The fader that's on there is scratch worthy?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Dharmaboy
10-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks Slik. I will try to ease up. I have a stock Djm3000.

The fader that's on there is scratch worthy?

djslik
10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Never used it but I rock a DJM909 now and that is straight butter compared to my Vestax 06. If you think the fader is holding you back then upgrade to an innofader for around $150. Probably between that and better slipmats is the best thing you can do for scratching. The only other upgrade would be needles to keep from skipping and tables with a strong direct drive if you aren't using 1200's already.

Dharmaboy
10-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Ah. All I have right now are 2 CDJ800 MKČ 's

They work pretty decent and pretty responsive.

djslik
10-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I haven't spent too much time scratching on CDJ's, but the basic platter control should be similar. Being light on the record/platter also helps in your scratching.

Dharmaboy
10-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Hey guys,
still practicing daily and I found that crabs are not easy to pull off. Thing i noticed when I have X-fader set on sharp, and I have it all the way to one side, say the left. If I move it very slowly to the right, where you start to hear the other track that I have my samples on, its comes in very mute and then gets loud.

I thought it was supposed to be loud on 1, move it to the catch point and now both are loud. I find sometimes that when i am moving the x-fader the scratch sound is very limited and faint till I am a few more millimeters over. even with channel's fader up 100% and the gain is set high. Is this common?

using a DJM3000 4 channel mixer. is the fader not right for scratching or should I replace it?

thanks

djslik
10-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Sounds like your fader is bleeding or not crisp enough. Also I use the classic "Ahhhh" scratch sample a lot and turn my high eq all the way up. I also adjust the gains on my sample channel until it sounds good.

Try going hamster style on your fader it might be easier to crab that way. I only scratch hamster so I'm biased.

CC Ricers
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
According to the specs your DJM 3000 has a x-fader switch for 3 different curve settings. You'd normally want it at the steepest setting, where the sound will cut in almost immediately when you move the crossfader towards the center. A 3-setting switch is be good enough for basic use, but when your skills get better you'd might decide you want more control to improve your sounds.

Mixers like the 909 have several other options to tweak the faders at your fingertips, like setting the distance in millimeters of cut-off delay, physical resistance, or fine-tune the curve to your liking. They aren't required to pull off advanced techniques but do make it easier sometimes.

Dharmaboy
11-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I sold the DJM 3000 and picked up a Stanton m.207 2-channel (for scratching and sheer real estate). I also picked up NI Traktor Scratch Pro with the A6 as I got tired of practice mixing, swap out my Scratch CD, mix new track, swap out the Scratch CD and then repeat over.

I am practicing on a Behringer VMX 300.......its not built for scratching. at all. lol. the xfader grooves are so deep that my fingers catch the metal and its cutting my fingers. tried using the channel faders on sharp and well they are not even close to sharp. Terrible mixer but 4 years ago , it seemed like a good idea. It was lying around my house in a junk box and I completely forgot I had it. ;)

djkvg
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,
still practicing daily and I found that crabs are not easy to pull off. Thing i noticed when I have X-fader set on sharp, and I have it all the way to one side, say the left. If I move it very slowly to the right, where you start to hear the other track that I have my samples on, its comes in very mute and then gets loud.

I thought it was supposed to be loud on 1, move it to the catch point and now both are loud. I find sometimes that when i am moving the x-fader the scratch sound is very limited and faint till I am a few more millimeters over. even with channel's fader up 100% and the gain is set high. Is this common?

using a DJM3000 4 channel mixer. is the fader not right for scratching or should I replace it?

thanks

Its great that you want to learn to scratch and love how you are practicing on the daily, but you have to take baby steps. Knowing crabs won't do much for you if you dont know beginner scratches, baby, tears, forwards, stabs, and chirps. One of my bread and butter scratch would be chirps, even though it is a relatively easy scratch, it sounds the best to me. IMO crabs take a while to master, and then to implement it into a combo is tougher.

Start off by learning and mastering the easy scratches. Sooner or later when you develop a muscle memory to these scratches, combos will come naturally. You can do A LOT with just babies, stabs, and chirps.

Sigma
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Regarding the fader thing, aside from the type of fader and the tension, there's 2 things that matter: -

Lag - This is the amount of dead space at the end of the fader, so how far you have to move it before you hear any sound at all.

Curve - When you start to hear some sound, the curve is how quickly it goes from just about hearing the sound to full volume. So with the sharpest curve it will go from silence to full volume with the slightest movement.

The curve is what the knob on your mixer controls, but with some mixers, even when the curve is set to the sharpest setting it's not as sharp as you want it to be.

And I definitely agree about not trying to run before you can walk.

Dharmaboy
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks Sigma and djkvg. I actually got a Stanton m207 and its much sharper cut and much easier to do the basics with. I have been learning to mix some hip hop with quick cuts and then switch to my scratch samples on the fly and then get the next tune ready and rinse and repeat. Its a big learning process as I am learning basics and then switching tracks quickly all on Traktor.

Dharmaboy
02-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Hey guys,
I was just practicing and its been a few months only here and there. Let me know what you think so far. I know it needs work regarding timing feels like it's getting there.

https://soundcloud.com/dj_dharmaboy/scratch-practice-1

Sigma
02-07-2013, 06:57 AM
I think you need to focus on the core basic techniques man - the ones mentioned in the beginner's guide that I wrote. A lot of that practice file sounds like transforms done over somewhat random record movements. There's the occasional cool sounding bit, but it sounds more like it happened by accident. I don't think the timing is bad at all, it's just the repetitive use of the same limited techniques that is holding you back. Get practicing with clean babies, chirps, drags, forwards, stabs, tears, marches - that kind of thing.

Dharmaboy
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM
good points. I felt i was somewhere but seems I am still on a very long road. thanks Sig

DannyAK
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
sounds interesting, however scratching is sort of like martial arts.. you need to attack it with form and stick to the basics, that way you can flow from one pattern to another rather than just randomly pushing the record back and forth while hitting the fader around.. :)

Dharmaboy
07-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Hey another one on my scratch thread, figured I'd keep asking than write up a new one.

I was thinking of getting a single Stanton T62b so I can use my Traktor TC vinyl. My scratch is coming along and still trying to land those 1 click orbits.

Is the Stanton T62b decent for bedroom scratch? Or should I just throw down on a ST8 150?
I know on the T62b I need a butter sheets and a better slip mat to help the tourq.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sigma
07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Maybe look around for a used STR8-150. The T62 is an entry-level direct drive turntable, so as you already hinted at, the torque isn't that high. Personally I wouldn't buy a T62 given all the other options out there, including used gear.

Dharmaboy
07-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I looked at the STR-150 but found it out of my price range, I went with the TTX USB. I heard this thing has a ton of torque as well. I got the Ortofon/Serato stylus.

I finally got this puppy setup last night, but I wonder by bpm read is not clean ie. the part after the initial large number of the bpm is jumping example. my Traktor show it jumping from 128.18 bpm to 128.24, then back down , then back up? I have alot of pets, wonder if the needle is dirty with the combination of the Traktor MK2 record. Thoughts?

Sigma
07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah man, that's a great turntable all round. Good buy.

Dharmaboy
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Sigma, since you are a turntabalist, i find moving from CDJ to vinyl quite different. I took a baking sheet, cut the outline of a record and put it under my stock slipmat but I feel that its just not firing forward when attemping to do forwards. Is it because of the Numark mat being not good enough or is it most likely me pressing down a little to hard? I am trying to be supple. seems on Vinyl I need to almost give her a flick forward on that technique.

Windows 95
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Is it because of the Numark mat being not good enough or is it most likely me pressing down a little to hard? I am trying to be supple. seems on Vinyl I need to almost give her a flick forward on that technique.That fat heavy slip mat that they put on the TTX isn't very slippery. You might want to eventually upgrade to a pair of "Butter Rugs" or something similar.

Dharmaboy
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
That fat heavy slip mat that they put on the TTX isn't very slippery. You might want to eventually upgrade to a pair of "Butter Rugs" or something similar.
Will do thanks.

ps. best username ever.

BOWNSIR
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I finally got this puppy setup last night, but I wonder by bpm read is not clean ie. the part after the initial large number of the bpm is jumping example. my Traktor show it jumping from 128.18 bpm to 128.24, then back down , then back up? I have alot of pets, wonder if the needle is dirty with the combination of the Traktor MK2 record. Thoughts?

This is from the wow and flutter. Every analog turntable suffers from this; some more than others.

Dharmaboy
07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Bownsir.

I have another question regarding vinyl setup on Traktor. I have the TTX set to Line instead of Phono. On my Traktor i have the unit set on Line as well for that deck. On my Mixer I have the inputs going into line. I did this because my TTX doesnt have a grounding wire.

now, if I set the TTX to 33, all my tracks play sloooooow. but they are all normal at 45. The tracks I am playing are all from Beatport.com and mp3 format. But when I look at the Traktor vinyl it says 12 mins at 33 on one side and 17 mins at 33 on the other side.

I think I am missing something here.

If I set everything to phono , from the deck itself, to traktor software and plug it all into the phono of that side of the mixer, my traktor goes ballistic. doesnt read, errors etc.

HBBoogie
08-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I have another question regarding vinyl setup on Traktor. I have the TTX set to Line instead of Phono. On my Traktor i have the unit set on Line as well for that deck. On my Mixer I have the inputs going into line. I did this because my TTX doesnt have a grounding wire.

TTX's are self grounded and don't require a ground wire

now, if I set the TTX to 33, all my tracks play sloooooow. but they are all normal at 45. The tracks I am playing are all from Beatport.com and mp3 format. But when I look at the Traktor vinyl it says 12 mins at 33 on one side and 17 mins at 33 on the other side.

I think I am missing something here.

There should be an option to switch between 33 and 45 in Traktors preferences under timecode setup.

If I set everything to phono , from the deck itself, to traktor software and plug it all into the phono of that side of the mixer, my traktor goes ballistic. doesnt read, errors etc.

Recheck your cabling. Traktor playing backwards and going ballistic is a sign that your cables are not plugged in right or you have a bad connection.

Here are some videos that explain all Traktors preference settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUWHJQjNdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eT_XnOVS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRAQdN50X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiB3V5xbKWA

Dharmaboy
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Well taking off the 45rpm setting helped and after calibration the bpm jumping stopped.

Thx guys

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dharmaboy
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey you scratch gurus got a question. I picked up some butter rugs from NI, and I am using the NI Traktor CV. I am find that when I practice scratching the vinyl is getting stuck to the butter rugs via static and when I try to do basic stuff like tears and babies, the record takes a second to kinda wind up and going. with butter rugs do i need to throw the record forward ?

Also noticed with the thinner butter rugs I had to readjust the counter weight on my tone arm or the needle wasnt even touching the record.