PDA

View Full Version : Went from Vinyl to CDJ. First impressions.

Ever
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I haven’t touched tables in about 8 years, and when I did it was only on 1200’s. I just got a pair of 900’s sight-unseen, got some new headphones and then got to work! Here’s my initial thoughts after using CDJ’s for the first time;

Loads of fun. To be honest this is both from getting back into DJ’ing, as well as the fact that CDJ’s are fun to poke around on.

They're intuitive. At least for general cueing, beat matching, etc. I’m a read-the-instructions kind of guy, but I was able to pick things up on my own. It’s obvious they’ve had years of iterations, with each consecutive model being based on features that users like us have asked for. It all just made sense.

Downloading from Beatport, loading to USB, and using the Link function was a breeze. Much better than digging through vinyl.

I was able to mix back and forth within the first hour. I accidentally bumped the big Play/Pause button a few times mid-mix. Akin to swiping the “off” knob on 1200’s. I also need to get used to how easy it is to accidentally move the cue point. I’m clumsy. Curious if this is why people like Rekordbox - can you make "lockable" cue points?

The platter is much different than 1200’s. Not just for obvious the obvious reasons (I do miss being able to simply drag to slow down). It seems like you have to give the platter bigger bump to make corrections while beatmatching – almost an exaggerated swipe. Is this something that’s only adjustable on the 1000k/2000k’s? It also seems that speeding the platter up was more sensitive than slowing down.

The built-in digital BPM counter is nice. You can’t rely on it as there’s lots of fudge room within a single BPM, but it makes the initial part quicker.

Looping is fun. What I didn't like is that it changes the cue point. For example, I have my cue set at the start of the track (to be used for mixing the tracks), but if I want to fade it in and loop it for some effects while the main track is playing, it will bump my cue point up to where I looped from. This means I lost my cue at the start, so I need to reset it before I finally mix out. Thoughts?

Does looping work in Slip Mode? I tried it but didn't get what I wanted. I ask because when I was mid-mix (crossfader at 50/50), I wanted to add some ¼ - ½ loops one of the tracks. When I exited the loop, the mix would be off. It would be fun if Slip Mode worked while looping the same way it does for scratching. This way, as soon as I exit, it would still be on par for a mix out. Sure, the 4-8 bar might line up, but I like mixing further out like 32 bar, if that makes sense. In other words, I want the original cue that I "threw" the track on to have been time-locked, Slip Mode style. Perhaps this is something that’s better done with external effects (DJM, etc)?

All in all, really excited to get back into things. Next up:

Configure to record to my desktop computer - interface, software.

Edit: meant to post in the Equipment section.

fueledbymusic
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Im one who went from vinyl to CDJ. It is far better off in so many ways. But the main reason is being able to record on CDs and make a custom CDS, unlike vinyl

roguedna
10-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Glad to read that you liked CDJ's. Having used vinyl and T/T for over 25+ years, searching and playing tracks via USB hard drives with digital media players is much easier (for me). With different software I find that it aids my planning of sets and opened new options with it comes to: Keys / BP and having fun!

I still use my T/T and vinyl but its about the music and the mix, with the players and media options available to use that I like :D

Have fun with your players!

All in all, really excited to get back into things. Next up:

Configure to record to my desktop computer - interface, software.

I use audacity (free) with my mixer and can be used with direct input or USB (for me)

JackStalk
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
doublepost

JackStalk
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The CDJ-1000/2000s have a knob like the "touch/release/brake" knob on the 900s where you can adjust the heaviness of the platter. You can make it really stiff so it takes a good nudge to speed/slow the track, or you can make it very light so you can basically breath on it and move it. The CDJ-1000MK1/MK2 don't have it though. I keep mine on really stiff so it's harder to make errors.

+1 to audacity, it's a great free program.

djslik
10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
It sounds like you aren't using Serato or Traktor. You might want to give that a try with either your CDJ's or even your 1200's. All the benefits you just mentioned with plenty more such as effects, crate management, samples.

Ever
10-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Thx for the replies.

I'll be exploring Rekordbox this week, and then probably Audacity the following.

I'm currently using an older analog mixer (http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/mp22zdat.pdf). Are there any for <$100 that will be able to create respectable recordings into Audacity?

Hausgeist
10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm currently using an older analog mixer

Just route the tape out into the line in on your computer. It will be fine.