PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney '12: sedna-vs-ohmega

Rek_Aviles
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg
ROUND 2

MIX 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-sedna-vs-ohmega1.mp3)

MIX 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-sedna-vs-ohmega2.mp3)

RULES:
30 minute mark. The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark listed below.
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance (Progressive, Vocal, Tech, Acid, Melodic, Epic) – however if you want to play harder GOA/Psy.-Trance you are more than welcome
Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

Ellissentials
10-05-2012, 03:53 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg

Mix 1: ◄PLAY► This is one killer sounding opener! Everything about it is purely excellent! 1:30ish, bass hits and it's on...nice quality sound right from the start. 6:28 I believe next track comes in? Very nice blend going on right here! 6:54, sure is a new track and let me tell you.. these 2 were ment for each other. Programming is massively good on this transition. Loving the breakdown at 8:30. This track is very nice as well as last. 10:29, forgotten bass on the first hit? Maybe not, but that's something I noticed...didn't ruin anything. 11:28, we're on a new track, decent transition. So far I'm really enjoying this tracklist and all of the tracks really meld well. Wow, at 12:57 when this track really takes off, I'm surely into it! 17:25.. I'm in love with this tracklist, truly. This track is the definition of Trance, IMO. 18:46, new track is in it seems, and grooving right along. 19:15...OH YEAH. Programming / phrasing / matching of all types, has be s.p.o.t. on. Killer VOX in this track, and great overall driving feeling. 23:32-24:17 or so I believe was the transition area..and it was odd / interesting, but effective and still maintained the flow of the mixset. Another wonderful track right here. This is the type of Trance that gives me goosebumps...really. 28:58 I think is mix in point, and it's all sounding great. 28:28 that was quite an excellent transition. This is a very very pounding track, curious to see what it has in store for me. It's actually oddly produced, if I'm speaking the truth. I really like it, but there's a part of me that thinks the kick in this track sounds like a big "double beat." Even the hi-hats have moments that "double hit" oddly. Obviously, this is the production of the track and nothing the DJ did, I'm just noticing and mentioning. I actually don't think this track goes with all the the last tracks...I mean they all sounded like they were made to go together, and did so in an exceptional manner. This one seems a bit too in your face. Well nice mixset here, love how it outro'd ... Mix 2 has a lot to do to sway me from this one.

Mix 2: ◄PLAY► Great "airy" sounds to open. 1:03, it seems you're taking a more "synthy" approach with your track selection. Also, in the first few minutes I'm noticing the recording doesn't sound as quality at Mix 1. First track, seemingly quite a driving track with loads of space being created through the synths. 3:48, new tracks bassline takes over and there's a slight drop in energy, but everything is matched very well. 4:43, loving that sound that "winds down" in this track. Quite nice. 5:15.. just a great breakdown. :) 6:08 when the track comes back in on its way to taking off, this really sounds good. 6:38 when it finally takes off, there's a nice amount of space being created, and I do enjoy this. 7:07 was mix in I think? Blending very well and you sure do seem to like to mix in and out fast :D 8:03 is sounding great. 8:53, new track works on taking over with a slight loss of energy on the low end, but again.. matched very well. Random thought I'm having... it sounds like this set is recorded.. in mono? I dunno, just something I noticed (as we've found out, this is how I vote... by writing down my thoughts, and this was one) 11:52 I think is around mix in point. 12:20, the bassline of new track is melding in. 12:35, new track is taking over a bit more. There's a note that the incoming track hits, that goes against the outgoing tracks key. Moments I'm speaking of are couple second increments at time frames: 12:27 / 12:41 / 12:54 / 13:09 Those are couple seconds of time in which the keys of each track clash momentarily. .... hmm 14:47 I'm noticing the key clashing on the breakdown even... maybe this is just producer error? Yep there it is again when the track comes back in. Well....I guess ignore the time frames I showed for clash, and just consider those spots to be producer error. 16:20-30 something I think is mix in point.. couldn't tell, so that's a good thing. 18:47 was maybe next mix in point, and this track seems to work. Bit Mid range heavy coming in, but matched well. Sometime around 22:00ish is next track mix in, and it fits this last one very well. 23:28 hah, loving these echoy lower tone sounds in this track! Woo yes! 25:23 next mix in point.,..25:28 new bass starts working in, and grooves along decently with outgoing track. 29:48 seems to be a new track, and by 29:55 .. definite transition. Phew! Almost disqualified.... but I would say you can surely notice a transition before the 30:00 min mark. Enjoying the feeling of this last track. It's one of those tracks that seems to be "saying goodbye" and showing you that it's a final track in a set. At least that's how I feel. Nice outro here as well.

For me, I think Mix 1 tops it out in this battle.

Good job gents! :tup:

*disclaimer*
This is all my raw thoughts and opinions as I listen along with the mixsets, and obviously should be taken with a grain of salt on a Margarita glass. Wait what? :squint: :lol:

JackStalk
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Mix1:

A bit of a slow start but I loved the intro. Everything seems really high quality, the levels are great through the first two minutes so far. It's still moving kinda slow through 6 minutes, but I love the little piano sample coming in around 7:00. Through 15 minutes the mix has come alive and the mixing has been pretty clean and haven't noticed any sizeable error. The transition at 24:00ish could have been cleaner, it sounded like you just threw the incoming track in with the playing track's breakdown and the volume level difference was noticable. The streaming player fucked up three times on me while listening to the mix and it was pretty annoying, but it has nothing to do with the track. My final thoughts are that the mixing skill was pretty flawless, but the track selection seemed to be very safe. The entire mix as a whole didn't really take any risks in my opinion. Psy-Trance isn't really a favorite genre of mine, but the mix was tight regardless.

Mix 2:

From the get-go I think the quality is a little worse than mix 1. I'm actually downloading this one because the player fucked up and froze again and it really pisses me off. Love the guitar at 5:00. 12:30 seemed like the levels were slightly off, you can tell the EQs were being used to try to smooth out the track. Beatmatching was fine, but the "hollowness" of the track was noticeable. The breakdown at 20- was awesome! Final thoughts: The mixing was tight, but not as solid at mix 1. The track selection was a little more enjoyable in my opinion, more of a journey and a lot riskier.

This is a really hard choice to make, but I'm going to go with Mix 1. I liked the clean feel and solid mixing style even though the tracks themselves didnt appeal to me as much. Both of you did a really excellent job and it was hard to pick one.

n0ah
10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Duplicate post. Ignore please

n0ah
10-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Just from seeing the two people going up against each other, I know this is going to be a tough one. Both of you are great DJs that have been here for quite some time!

MIX 1: Loving the intro sounds! Sounds like something Aly and Fila would open with, or Bjorn Akesson! If I had to guess I feel like this is going to get to be a pretty high BPM mix... =] Bass kick just dropped in, tribal sounds incoming. As Kris said, this really is "trance". Think I hear the first transition at 6:30, def hear some new sounds coming in. Wow... great transition there, you could barely tell the tracks had changed! Love it. Nice progressive grooves from this next track, I'm gonna want a tracklist when this is done for sure. 10:30, think that was the next track coming in, very smooth. 15 mins in, and we are getting some classic GOA/PSY trance lyrics, I def called that :P My mother also told me not to stare at the sun. Next thing I know this mix is going to be telling me about LSD! Next track coming in at 19mins, another great transition. Was hoping for a faster tempo by now, but that's just personal preference. Still bobbing my head along here in the mix, last transition flowed just as well as the rest. More vocals dropping in and out. Every track seems to fit very well with the rest. 29:30, finally something very different sounding! More energy building. Liking the beat to this track, def a good one to end on. Great mix!

Mix2: I agree with the others that the quality is lacking a bit compared to the others, sounds fairly compressed. Nice intro, picking up pace a lot faster than mix 1 did, and faster BPM. 3:40 I hear you mixing in, 3:48 new track comes in stronger. Definitely solid transition. More Psy/goa sounds coming from this track, I can tell we have some old school trance DJ's here! Loving the synths and melodys at 6:11. These tracks seem to have a little more energy than the last ones, but they are damn close. Player froze... again. This needs to get fixed >< Starting up again. At 12ish mins, hear a new track coming in, another good transition, but another short one. Song goes well with the rest of them. 16 minutes in and another transition, definitely more tracks to this one than the other mix. Rest of the mix follows very similiar quick style transitions and tracks.

This is a tough one, both GREAT DJS, but the sound quality was a little rough on the second one, and I felt like the first mix has such buttery smooth transitions that it would be a shame to not give it to him.

MIX 1.

Delta V
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm on my mobile so typing a big long reply is gonna be difficult. I thought mix 1 had a higher sound quality to it, to me that's really important. I thought it flowed better, with some really good track progression from slower stuff up to some goa-esque tunes. Mix 2 had some great moments too. Really liked the first half, but I can only take so much Psy. Beat- mixing wise I think 1 was a little smoother and subtler, which really elevates the psy trance feel. Voting for mix 1.

Sedna
10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance

Ohmega and I don't listen very well :lol:

Ohmega
10-13-2012, 12:24 PM
!!!!!!?????!!!!!

RikkiGTR
10-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Mix 1 - Almost Amazonian or something, this intro. Interesting.
1:30 nice, I like it pumping. Don't recognise it, but definitely a good starting track.
6:57 smooth transition happening. 7:57 Keeping that nice pounding bass going. 8:30 I like this. Again, another I don't recognise but an enjoyable track. Love the energy so far.
11:00 is this another transition? Hard to tell. Yeah 11:30 new track. 12:28 didn't let me down, thought it was going to go all techy there for a second. Keeping the energy up.
16:20 melody building, tension rising to 17:00 so far... 17:20 and 18:20 not quite was I was expecting. Not too keen on this track personally.
18:48 I think the new bass came in? Very pulsating here. I actually love this track, almost feels as though it's speeding up from 20:00 onwards...
24:16 that's what I'm talkin' about! Very "midnight at Gatecrasher" dancefloor music. Energetic, electric. Almost hypnotising me here around 27:30 :eek:
29:30... um what? Wasn't expecting that at all! Actually this track is excellent. Probably the best of the set for me. Really hyper and off the scale.

Verdict - Very good, well mixed. Really didn't like that track in the middle, but they all blended well and that last track was killer. Great energy throughout.

Mix 2 - I can't even describe the intro because the bassline at the 1 minute mark just grabbed me by the throat. Excellent.
3:50 subtly changing there? Very smooth if so. Loving the energy at 6:06, not too sure about the sitar-type melody though, but love the pumping bassline.
8:54 - did I hear a wee beat sneaking in the back door? I know the track has changed but I must be still hungover because I couldn't tell. 10:30 I like this.
Again, I think the track changed before the 13:00 mark but fucked if I could tell. These are all blended so well and my head is fried :cry:
14:20 loving the sound of this melody building. 15:05 reminds me a bit like "Gamesmaster - Signum remix" (one of my all-time favourites).
Transition around 17:30 I think, this track is good as well. Keeping the energy going, I like it.
Love that at 20:39. This is all very good sadly, making my job very difficult :D
26:00 is this a new track? I'm confused. 26:30 yes ok, no loss in energy at all, very exciting.
Hmm... could just hear that sneaking in before the 30 min mark. Cutting it fine lol.

Verdict - Another very good set. Tracks all blended well and the transitions were excellent to the point I was actually confused. Maybe my being a bit fragile added to my confusion.
Loved the energy throughout, it never dropped at all. Very consistent.

Voting - Well fuck it. Two very good sets, mixing was fantastic, track choice in each was very consistent and energetic. Can't remember any point where a transition was obviously happening (in a bad way).
Honestly don't know guys. Very close in my mind. Going to vote for Mix 1 simply because I enjoyed the majority of the tracks a little bit more than on Mix 2.
Two very enjoyable sets guys, it's a shame I had to separate them by a vote.

tekno_violet
10-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Sedna vs Ohmega

Sounds like a good battle. :teef:

Mix 1

Ok intro, bit long for me, first mix was good, looking for energy soon as 1/4 of mix is already over. 8:30 it gets interesting, beat missed around 10:30, not a big deal. Mix around 18:10 i like.
Skills were all there... effort was there, just wasn't feeling the vibe all the way through.

Mix 2

I Like the no wasting time intro. First mix was a bit rushed, Really like your plan of attack. Mix 2 i enjoyed ( maybe some finer EQ'ing?). Halfway through mix and im pretty happy with whats going on. Hiccup around 21.00 mark, not too concerned with hiccups in this mix.

Mix 1 somehow got all the votes but I have to say mix 2 was really good. Some serious skills present and was the first person to play outside of the box and go their own way. Lots of songs crammed in which i like because it shows balls but at the same time can be exhausting.

I like mix 2.

Well done mate.

ChrisHynds
10-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Ok quick notes here typing on my mobile :-

Mix 1 - loved the intro track it set the tone for the whole set, mixing was really solid but I wouldn't expect any less, structure was awesome really nice flow throughout very low bpm deep prog psy feel to the set, built well into some heavier trax to finish, I thought there was a noticeable little level jump on the first transition and you let the mix around 17/18 mins breakdown a lot, I would personally liked to have heard this mixed in earlier but I'm just being picky now, it was a really solid set, a lot of thought has went into track selection great stuff

Ok mix 2 -

Much more energy and drive from the get go, I was going into this battle expecting both of you to be throwing down 138-140 +, nice intro the effects on this first track are sick, if that's you? Major kudos! Mixing again is spot on throughout, very fast paced stuff, lots of trax being smashed out, the mix that starts around 6 mins coming out of the sexy little Spanish guitar track ( I'm a sucker for that Spanish guitar sound, la guitarra is one of my favs) is incredible I listened to it at least 3 times, the 2 trax must be in the same key it was seemless, there were a few mixes like that in this set, overall another great set. Very different approach, you were obv out to smash it with the quick transitions. As its already been said the audio quality was an issue on this mix? I think I know whose who by knowing how you both mix, and there must be a good reason why the audio quality is off.

Anyway my vote is going to mix 1, I was able to really get involved in the set and feel like I could connect with it, ( sorry if that reads really gay but it's the only way I can describe it) I hate using the journey cleche but that's how it felt, mix 2 was more like, pow check out this track, pow check out this track, hold up, pow here's another track, which is perfect for a big room set but it's almost 2am here and the deeper journey is what I was feeling at the time. Hard to fault either and I don't think the score justifies the battle, great stuff from both of you,

Sedna
10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Poll is closed, it seems. Thanks for the votes guys.

I was mix 1. I must say, I think this should have been a much closer battle than it was, voting wise. Both mixes were spot on. It's a shame, I would have loved to battle Ohmega in the final round ;) Next year, mate.

Tracklist for my mix-

1. Michael & Levan and Stiven Rivic - Sounds Are Deeply On The Surface (Airwave Remix)
2. John 00 Fleming - The Winds Of Change Are Blowing
3. Cosmithex - The Portal
4. Perfect Stranger Feat Dj Pena - Ode Ao Sol (Liquid Soul Remix)
5. John 00 Fleming feat Sascha Cooper - Fight the Darkness (Ovnimoon Remix)
6. E-Clip feat. Egorythmia - New Level of Being
7. David Rust - Reversion (Johann Stone Remix)