PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney '12: DeltaV-vs-JackStalk

Rek_Aviles
10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg
ROUND 2

MIX 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-DeltaV-vs-JackStalk1.mp3)

MIX 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-DeltaV-vs-JackStalk2.mp3)

RULES:
30 minute mark. The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark listed below.
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance (Progressive, Vocal, Tech, Acid, Melodic, Epic) – however if you want to play harder GOA/Psy.-Trance you are more than welcome
Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

n0ah
10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Delete

JackStalk
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
It doesn't matter really. We know who's mix is yours too because you used the wrong tag when you uploaded the file. I don't think it changes people's opinions.

Ellissentials
10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Jackstalk... I don't think you were supposed to vote on your own mix... now we know whose is whose haha

It doesn't matter really. We know who's mix is yours too because you used the wrong tag when you uploaded the file. I don't think it changes people's opinions.

Err :err:

n0ah
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Mix 1: First track... LOVE IT. Seriously, one of my favorites! This mix is having a lot of potential already, let's hope the mixing is as good as the song selection so far! 2:55 and I think I hear the next track banging in already. Long transition. Ok.. super long transition.. I'm loving it! It's not easy to let tracks ride out that long, and it came out well. Next track... hearing the piano and I already know the words to the track... another great one! Use Somebody - Kings of leon (remix). 7mins in.. not sure if this is the same track of if that was a transition. I guess that's a good thing haha. Ok, 8 mins I definitely heard another track come in. Funny this is 2 out of the 3 tracks Ive heard so far I had used in the DJ FORUMS TRANCE COLLAB mix that we did earlier this year.... haha. That last transition wasn't perfect, but it worked. 12:00 I hear the track starting to go out, another one coming in. I feel like these might be slightlyyyy off beat, but it sounds alright. Another long transition. I think this is an Armin track coming in! Oh yeah, brute! Should used the illegal drum edit... :P 17:48 I hear the next one coming in. It was definitely off beat there for a second, but you quickly corrected that. Concrete Angel (aly and fila remix maybe). Awesome track. Next transition was solid as well, another anthemy tune.

Mix 2:
Not sure how I feel about this opening or these vocals... doesn't seem trancy whatsoever. 3 mins a beat kicks in finally, but I'm still really not feeling this track at all, hoping that we get some trance soon. 5:17 I hear some new sounds coming in, thinking thats the new track. Good transition, bass is kicking at 5:45, and can still hear the other track floating around. Not a fan of the way the track faded out however. 6:35...This is sounding better, but it's still a little slow moving. 8:45 has some nice sounds, and it's picking up. Has some more big room feels to it. 10:57, very sudden transition, but everything line up nicely and sounded ok. Finally, a track that I know! Love this one, and I definitely think it fits well with the mood that you have built up so far. 15:52, another very quick transition. It sounds fine, but I'm not sure If I'm a fan of these super fast transitions. Still keeping with a slow (128BPM?) pace, which is fine (It's what I prefer really). 17:40... interesting.. 20:37: I think that was a transition and it sounded really really bad. Next song came out of no where and wasnt beatmatched at all to start. If this was my mix, I would have gone back to fix this for SURE. I'm liking the track itself, very beautiful breakdown, but I can't get over the transition into it. Next transition at 26 mins was very sudden as well, keys definitely sound off.

The tracklist one the first one sounded very commercial, sounded Like I was listen to ASOT haha. The second mix had some pretty rough mixing all around, and the opening track was terrible IMO.

MIX 1 gets my vote here.

n0ah
10-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Double post again, please delete

tekno_violet
10-11-2012, 04:43 AM
1 - nice intro, like your chosen tempo, no hiccups with beat matching, liked most tunes.

Wasn't feeling all the vocals, Not really my kind of selection but your beatmatching was legit. Good effort.

2- Now that's a a solid opening! Sets moving with great energy and vibe, beatmatching was mostly spot on till the end a bit. I really enjoyed most of the tracks.

Skill wise this is a great match up, both are solid mixes but mix 2 is my cup of tea and being more my style.. Great vision, Two thumbs up

Sedna
10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Posting from my phone so I'm gonna make it a little more concise than usual:

Mix 1 - PPK to start, a great song but I have mixed feelings about the Oakey remix. I enjoyed the track selection, lots of vocals but they were solid vocal trance tracks. Mixing was decent, some clips here and there but nothing huge. I liked the fake energy drop when mixing into Concrete Angel, the energy slowdown happens but then the vocal drops in and there's the chills down my spine. Good mix. Enjoyed it

Mix 2-

This mix was high quality. I listened to it twice. Lots of tracks I've never heard, which is always good because it shows the DJ has his own unique style. The track with the big arp in the middle was amazing. Great mixing, no errors, and perfect energy flow. Downloading!

Mix 2 gets it, but i did enjoy the high bpm vibe of mix 1.

RikkiGTR
10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Mix 1 - Intro... first track that I have recognised so far out of all the battles in this round, I'm not joking ffs :lol: I love this though. Epic all-time great.
I know the next one too! We're on a roll here. Never heard this mix of it before though, nice.
Around the 8:00 mark, love the energy of this incoming track. 9:12 was when I went "oh yeah!" (because I knew it again) this is definitely really enjoyable.
11:30 this is almost lifting my hangover. I needed a pick-me-up. Clean transition around 12:30, interested to hear where this track goes... dunno it but really energetic and bouncy tune.
17:50 on is there a bit of clashing there or is that just the track? Hmmm... Concrete Angel (I'm saying nothing ;)) this is a great mix too.
22:30 or so I think a bit better EQing might have helped, sounded like there was a bit too much of the incoming track over the top of Concrete Angel for my liking.
Dunno this next track but it's very nice nonetheless.
Smoother transition around 27 minutes, more of the same high energy, definitely enjoying this.

Verdict - Yeah I really enjoyed this set. Very up tempo and energetic, very "Trancey" which was great. That one mix out of Concrete angel aside, the transitions were good. Nice.

Mix 2 - Another intro track that I know well. I actually love this track, getting chills at 2:30...
Didn't really enjoy the way the first track just sort of drifted away, or faded out. Love this beat at 7:31 though tbf. Nice. 10 minutes - funky.
Next track jumped in quickly at 10:55; worked well though, definitely not messy. Don't know the track but sounding good at 13:40.
15:55 another sneaky transition happening here? Very clean, like all the transitions so far. Don't know this track either and feels a bit lighter than those previous.
I like this at 17:55 onwards, overall sound fills up nicely and picks up energy too.
I love those Blade Runner chugging basslines at 20:10 (don't ask me where Blade Runner came from, that's the only way I can describe it/make sense of it :eek:)
Almost a Jean Michel Jarre feel to this at 25 minutes in.
26:30 next track quickly jumped in again if I'm not mistaken. Don't recognise it either but sounds good.

Verdict - Another set that was very well put together. A couple of quick mixes but they were well done and certainly not as harsh as those quick mixes I had in my set in the previous round. I'm learning something here.
Transitions were very good, some nice tracks, very bouncy and Trancey.

Voting - I liked both sets, but I'm going to vote for Mix 1; even though the mix out of Concrete Angel was a bit messy, that set had more tracks I could relate to. Great energy and feel to the whole set.
Nothing wrong with Mix 2 though, and there would be no shame in voting that way instead, but Mix 1 just got my juices flowing more.

Ellissentials
10-14-2012, 09:14 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg

Mix 1: ◄PLAY► Oldddd school song right here! No clue if original or remix yet. This song gave me goosebumps like MAD back in the day.. shit it just did even! :D Oh dang, this is a remix. 2:05 and I'm going bonkers! Woo! 3:26.. starting to notice new sounds yes? 4:00 nice breakdown.. I'm crossing my fingers this holds together for you. You cut outgoing on this breakdown and it sounded very good. Nice vocal here. 6:58, man this song is full on hitting my musical taste buds wonderfully! 7:31 was mix in point, and at 7:59 there's a full bass switch that kind of stirs the pot a bit. Didn't sound "off" but was defintely abrupt. Maybe an introduction of the bassline before you fully brought it in would've helped? (just thinking out loud.. take it with a grain of salt) @8:40ish that driving sound and vocal are SO so good man! 11:05 or so was mix in point yea? 11:30 is sooooo good! :dance: 11:59 definitely a great transition going on right here. 12:15 I notice it floating ever so slightly but it's watched well enough. 12:38, you're still floating a little bit, but holding it together. Lots of very synthy synths (yes that's my term and it makes sense in my head) going on here. 15:30 I believe you mixed in, and babysit the transition very nicely. Wait.. did you not mix in? Or did you perhaps start to mix in and then reset for breakdown? No worries either way, just trying to sort my brain out. 17:44 definite new bass kick hitting, trailing just before the kick of the outgoing but you fix it quick enough and this ends up being an alright transition. :tup: Great female vocal in here...those synthy synths are synthtastic. 22:35, I notice some other synths and at 22:43 - 23:01 there's definite key clash and general tonal clashing for the rest of the transition. It was matched very well, but the programming wasn't thought through on this one (Keys being totally off that is). 24:12 I'm loving the piano in this breakdown, and then the female vocal hits and I'm entranced! Love this vocal. Not loving the synthy synths, but that's just me I'm sure. 26:00 seems like something was trying to come in? Or was that just me? 26:14, there's definite mix going on 26:24 - 26:38 you fight it a little bit, and then when it drops it's just not quite right. It's matched fine now, but the sound design of the 2 tracks together are "meh" until around 25:56 when the incoming synth starts elating up and takes over on the drop. Then is sounds like they were ment for each other, ya know? Good last track here, nice vocal and sound structure in this one. Slow fade to show the end was a bit "sloppy" if I had to nit pick. You take a LONG time to fade it out, and then don't even end on a 16 or 32 *shake fist* you just cut it out. There was some great and some not so great in this mix, but overall I enjoyed it.

Mix 2: ◄PLAY► Minimal beat starts out.. good introduction to the mix. Loving these pads and synth lines in here, and this vocal is quite enticing. I like it. 3:50, we're grooving right along. Around 5:00ish we're getting some newer stuff going along. 5:42, new bass is introduced. 6:13 wasn't a great mix out, kinda just faded away. Nice new track. 7:30.. OH, wowsers. Nice stuff, but from your first track I wouldn't have expected a track like this. Alright, let's see where this takes us. Great track for my tastes. 10:35 I notice some incoming, cut out bass.. (as in left over low end from a bass kick that has the bass knob turned down) 10:57 was a bit "in your face" for a transition, but was mixed well enough for sure. Very synthy stuff in this one. 15:49 was a quick cut in transition. Worked alright and seemed mixed well, but when the breakdown happens there's a lot of left over stuff from the outgoing that's kinda just faded away. 17:40.. errr .. did you use all that bit crusher effect, or did the producer? Was a bit much. 20:37 full on in your face transition does not sound good. Seems beatmatched alright, but just was right in my face. 21:19 seems to have been held together well enough, but yeah, that track was slammed right in eh? 22:04 you seem to still be holding em together, good stuff overall. 23:10 oh shit! This piano breakdown is giving me the bumps of goose! 25:30 mix in point roughly? 25:44 there's a lot of stuff going on just after this. Bit of clashing. 25:59, they are off quite a bit, but seems to have been fixed quick enough. 26:22, yeah quite busy... almost too much sound to listen to, ya know? 26:43, key clashing a little but not overly annoying. Loving this last track you used so far. Whoa.. is this Drum n Bass type of sound?! Seems very "Drum n Bass" like to me for a few moments there, lol.... Ok after the track gets going in entirety I can tell it's a form of Hard Trance it seems. You also went with fade out method, and seemed to do the exact same type of fade as Mix 1! You didn't even end the track on a 16 or 32.. *shake fist*.. lol such a big pet peeve! :D

Wow, alright this is a tricky one. You both had tracks I loved and tracks I loathed, and both had errors in your mix. I could damn near flip a coin. I think I'll have to fault the key clash of mix 1 more so than anything else. If you're putting together a tracklist for a round 2 mix, I would put in a bit more to make sure the tracks don't have key clash along the way.

Cheers to whoever wins. I choose Mix 2 by a hair.

EDIT:

Great mixing, no errors

I'm quoting Sedna here, because I think this is an absolute silly statement :D I pointed out a few errors :tup: