PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney '12: tekno_violet-vs-N0ah

Rek_Aviles
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/DJFTranceTourny2012.jpg
ROUND 2

MIX 1 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-tekno_violet-vs-N0ah1.mp3)

MIX 2 (http://djfbattles.com/battles/TranceTourney2012/R2/DJFTranceTournament2012-tekno_violet-vs-N0ah2.mp3)

RULES:
30 minute mark. The final track of each mix must have started by the end minute mark listed below.
it is recommended that contestants use Mainstream Trance (Progressive, Vocal, Tech, Acid, Melodic, Epic) – however if you want to play harder GOA/Psy.-Trance you are more than welcome
Ghost votes do not count in the final score. In order for a vote to count, there must be a comment made by the voter and he/she must have over 50 confirmed posts on DJForums.com.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11940-Djf-2012-trance-tournament-rules-amp-entry-thread

**Will display users who voted, and what choice they voted for.**

JackStalk
10-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Mix 1:

It was good until 5:45. What the hell was that? You just slammed the incoming track into the playing track and doubled your volume. Really really sloppy, it wasn't even beatmatched all that well. 10:15 was the same thing. When you slam the bass on a track you should at least kill the bass on the other track. It's called "bass swapping". The tracks weren't even beatmatched that well again. It sounded like a complete mess. The transition at 16:00 was much better, but I almost have to vote for Mix 2 without even listening to it. Your mixing really needs to be near-perfect and professional sounding to make it to the semifinals in a tournament. The rock thing at around 17:30 was actually pretty cool though. The 21:00 mix was better too.

Mix 2:

Liked the intro, wasnt too much of a fan at 2:30ish though. At 5:00 the tracks sound like they're beatmatched one bar off, the claps are on 1, 2, 3, 4, instead of just 2 and 4. I guess it was just the production of the track and not DJ error. The track at 12m was pretty cool. The vocal track at 16/17m I thought was really good, I'd love an ID on it at the end of the tournament.

I'm going with Mix 2, although neither mix was really too tight or perfect to my ear.

Sedna
10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Mix 1-

Started out pretty prog-housey. Heard some clippy cloppy in the first transition. Second track was pretty prog-housey too, not my type of prog-house. Transitions are a bit sloppy, I must say. The energy of the tracks is going up, but this isn't really my style of music... and not really trancey either. Getting later in the mix and the transitions got a bit smoother, though I counted at least 3 in the earlier portion with poor beatmatching. Overall, your transitions and track choices weren't great in my opinion, but I can at least say that your mix had a good progression to it.

Mix 2-

Hmmm, this intro track must me an Arnej track, otherwise whoever produced this is ripping on him hard :lol: I like where the mix is headed with the progressive techiness. I've heard most of these tracks so far before. Very Markus-ey vibe. I'm not sure what this DUNANANANANANANANANANANANA track is, but I'm not a huge fan. Next transition is alright... this track sounds good though. Yep, I like this tune a lot. Catchy vocal too. Next transition is fine, I've heard this track before somewhere as well. Last track is... Ashley Wallbridge? I'm not sure, but I have also heard this song in a fair share of clubs.

I'm going with Mix 2, though like Jack said, neither was awe-inspiring.

RikkiGTR
10-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Mix 1 -
I like this funky intro, trying to work out the track as it builds up. Dunno what it is but I like it. Hmmm... could clearly hear the next track dropping in there, this is another nice track though.
9:46 to 11:00 or so I can again hear a bit of beat clashing, or maybe it's just me. Certainly wouldn't care or notice on a dancefloor. Don't recognise this track either, not really what I would class as Trance. It's quite light.
16:00 next track coming in, this mix sounds a lot tighter. 18:00 more funky bassline, not really getting my juices flowing tbh, this is very unusual. 20:15 much better (to my ears), I like when my speakers move :D
22:30 all quiet, building up to 24:00... Just doesn't lift me at all, this.
26:00 I like this pumping beat. 28:28 - is that more beat clashing? Sounds quite messy. Maybe it's just the track to be fair, now that it's playing on a bit more.

Verdict - I just didn't like it. The first two tracks were actually quite nice but I didn't recognise any, and because they weren't really in a style of Trance that I can relate to it was hard to get excited about any of it.
The mixing itself was messy in places, although you did keep the energy building and your track choices weren't all over the place so it was consistent.

Mix 2 -
This is like 'War of the Worlds' or something. Very fucking creepy :uhoh:
....1:17 foot tapping. The drop around 5:00 was a bit anti-climactic (I know you didn't make the track, I just don't like tracks that do that - huge build up and then releases like a watery fart).
6:38 better. This is quite groovy. 8:40 getting my hopes up... 9:09 meh, I guess I'm hard to please. I'm at just over 12 minutes, transitions have been pretty clean so far.
13:50 is this tech-trance? Not really my thing. Very percussiony or something, I dunno. 15:35 this is nice, I like the energy in this track. Nice vocal too. Oh please have a nice pumping bass for me to rock out to :(....
17:58 yeah ok. 20:27 I like it here as well. Still lacking something but enjoyable nonetheless.
21:30 to 22:00 was the first transition I actually noticed, not in a bad way though. I love the feeling of this track at 23:00.
27:16... I dunno, I just expect 'more' from a track.

Verdict - As with mix 1, didn't recognise any of the tracks, nor was it in a style I enjoy so it was hard to get excited about any of it. Mixing was clean and consistent track choices.

Voting - I just expect more when I'm listening to Trance sets. I want the hairs on my arms to stand up, and get chills down my spine. But both these mixes were a bit like that "3rd CD" in a compilation that you never listen to because they don't excite you in any way. I know that might sound harsh but it's the only way I can explain how these mixes make me feel.
I'm voting for mix 2 on account of mix 1 having a few messy transitions and sounding a bit sloppy.

Ellissentials
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Ellissentials/EllissentialsReview-1.jpg

Mix 1: ◄PLAY► Immediately into the beats, alright. Digging the piano in this. Very synthy and generally airy all around in this track. 5:45, new track is slammed in full force, little bit blatant, though they are matched well. @ 6:16 it starts sounding a bit better together. Transition was held together decently. Another euphoric synth driven type of track...I do like some of the sounds in this, but overall not an over synthy kinda guy. 9:27 I notice you were trying to mix in... seems you gave up on that one. 10:05 you're trying to bring it back in and at 10:15 - 10:30 they are absolutely off. I hear ya trying to sort em out, good job. Yeah at 11:00 mins it starts to want to mix properly but it was an odd transition. Nice vocal in this one. Track reminds me of a 90's type of track. (not a bad thing I loved the 90's) Actually.. I know that pad synth line, I know it's familiar. But how I remember it is without a vocal. 14:29 (for example) there's a really nifty sound that I've heard in another song long ago...digging this track :) 15:38 seemed to be mix in point for next track. Everything was done much better! That was a very good transition. Back to the super synth sound :P Around 18:00ish when the track drops, it really doesn't seem to fit the tracklist you had going on. With that said, I really enjoy this track and that bassline. Definitely a funky feel. 20:42.. seems to be another track working in? 20:58.. sure is..and mixed very well. Quite a good transition. 22:30.. I've heard this synthline before! Can't sort out what it is or where I've heard it. Seems like it was a mainstream track that I've heard over the years? 25:41..breakdown on breakdown mixing... not bad, but a slight cop out since it was faded out slowly (no offense). And again, I know I've heard this original track before!! lol, curious of the tracklist on this one. 27:56 is mix in point.. it's slightly off. Quite off now...28:16 just floats off. 28:24, everything is all kinds of off. :( Full on trainwreck, sorry. 28:56, still choo choo chugging along. 29:08 TORTURE! lol.. I'm sorry, this is driving the metronome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronomes)in my mind i.n.s.a.n.e. Another very synth filled track. Decent mix, but with the first transition and last transition being so rough, it's going to go to mix 2 if mix 2 was spun a bit more solidly. Just being honest.

Mix 2: ◄PLAY► Nice, sweet opening! I agree, this reminds me of War of The Worlds! I'm allll about awesome ass intros like this sir, so you already really have my attention. BAH!!! SO SYNTHY! :lol: Ruined it for me kinda when those insane synths hit. 2:00, when it drops.. woo I love that wobble bass sound, just not a fan of super synths like this. 3:02.. odd fx, or was the track produced like that? 3:16, back to that awesome War of the Worlds sound. >=D 4:34.. super crazy psycho synths are on their way WAY up. lol.. 5:41 mix in point? 6:03, yep... something was going on, decent transition overall. 6:38, mmm delicious. Loving this track so far. 7:07.. definitely an "awww yeah" moment for me.. this track has got me. I hope the producer doesn't ruin it with crazy synths. :lol: Nice pads on the breakdown...9:06, digging this drop, so he (producer of said track) didn't ruin it for me. 10:05.. are you mixing breakdown/breakdown? 10:36, you definitely were and it seems that it dropped extremely well.. eq'd very well and programmed extremely nicely. Great creative transition! If you do breakdown/breakdown mixing, I think they have to be held for a bit after the drop to be productive and sexy. :) 11:23 - 11:25 there was a bit of a slip up, but it was corrected within 2 beats... great adjustment. :tup: Alright track...15:15 I'm hearing some new percs. 15:35.. transition is silky smooth. Nice vocal break right here...Feelin' it. Music hits full on and it's Trance bliss. At 20:26, it starts getting quite synthy, but not too overboard (for my tastes that is). 21:04 is mix in point.. I hear some hi-hats shining through. Everything seems to be on well. 21:31 I feel everything coming together decently well, for sure. 21:55, change of energy. Not bad, very interesting actually.. I enjoyed it. 22:40, these synths / drum kit / FX the producer put together in this track sound quite good. 26:42, I notice the percs ever so slightly off from outgoing, but it's so quickly fixed that most ears wouldn't notice it. 27:15 I go bananas! This transition was quite slick, and the track is quite awesome for my tastes, even though the synths go quite crazy at points like 29:50. (This is just Trance not being my 1st or 2nd or even 3rd genre of choice, getting me I think. I'm sure people are thinking; Trance = Synths you dippy doo!!! lol) Track ends, and you filter out. I love that the DJ is showing us he "ended" the set, and didn't just ride it out. :tup:

Winner of this for me is clearly Mix 2.
Now, I'm saying this with respect and to be a good critic.. but Mix 1, you should've re-listened to your mixset and noticed that 2 of those transitions shouldn't have happened on a Round 2 Trance Tournament mix submission. I'm not trying to raz on you too hard, so please don't get offended. I sure DID like some things and transitions in your set!

:tup:

n0ah
10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Poll is over, looks like I clearly won. Thanks everyone, and see you in round 3 =]

Tracklist: (And yes, I love Markus haha)
Arnej - The Second Coming (Intro Mix)
Khomha - Mind Gamer
Arnej - 7even
Markus Schultz - Nothing without me
Markus Schultz - Tritonic
Markus Schultz - Finish Line