PDA

View Full Version : my mixes seem slow and boring if i dont get high..

dj mcotty
10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
i am very sure there is someone who has this similar issue, if i am not tipsy or high my performance seem a lil bit dull and slow but if am high i tend to do well, but i notice that my mixes are definitely not proffessional though people seem to enjoy themselves, i end up ending the party too early. and also i am scared of crowd. i remember a day i tried to play without getting high, i noticed that my fingers were shivering i cud hardly gain balance to mix a song........pls someone shud pls say something to help me coz am dying gradually!!

dj mcotty
10-03-2012, 11:40 AM
and not forgetting i dont like getting high always cuz it gives me sickness when i am its off me.

JackStalk
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
You're doing it wrong.

dlove
10-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello :) You're probably just thinking your mixes are more exciting when you're high because you're high. Try recording yourself high & listen back straight.

I'd recommend getting into the habit of playing straight, otherwise you'll burn yourself out - it's not good relying on a substance to make you capable of doing something; you need to cool your mind and remember it's you doing it, not the drugs/drink.

dj mcotty
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
@dlove, i rily appreciate ur advice

syks
10-04-2012, 02:47 AM
i hear ya bro,i seem to mix 100times better after a smoke...i stear clear of chemicals or harder drugs nowa days but still like a toke and for some reason i come out with all sorts of inventive shit in my mixes when high,its the same with writing rhymes too (which i also do) much better after a smoke.

Im trying HARD to quit my cannibis addiction as its becoming boring (ive smoked from 12 years old and im now 33) and exspensive not to mention i dont seem to be able to do shit without it :(

dj mcotty
10-04-2012, 03:43 AM
I tried playing last night without anything, hmmmmmmmm!! I think its better that way,but still kinda............. Dunno!!

kyle133
10-04-2012, 07:52 AM
I tried playing last night without anything, hmmmmmmmm!! I think its better that way,but still kinda............. Dunno!!

I find when I smoke and spin I try and mix songs together that I never would sober. That being said, I train wreck alot more and my EQing sucks too lol! I feel the music alot more when im high though :D

dlove
10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
@dlove, i rily appreciate ur advice

No worries :tup: Best wishes, and remember that your confidence will come for real, and never go away with practice.

light-o-matic
10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Everyone's got to work this question out the way that's best for them. Personally, for me it's ONE beer, max. That actually helps. Usually sipped slowly during my set. And def no drugs. I gotta have a clear head to play well. I see some other DJs play great sets high, and that's awesome for them, it doesn't work for me.

It sounds like it's not working for you, so you should stop. Or at least massively cut down. If you have anxiety when you play, which it sounds like you do, I think the best cure is to:

1) Accept that you are not at the level yet where great mixes will just "happen".. you need to pay attention to the little stuff. Play a lot, practice a lot. Don't get overconfident and just toss knobs around. Be methodical and get everything right on the money if you can. Make sure your shit is well organized before you play.. know exactly what you will need when you go up there and have that ready to go.

2) If you fuck up, keep your cool.. fix it if you can fix it quick, else get out of the mix as smoothly as you can, and MOVE ON. Shrug it off, worry about the next track. If you're playing good music the crowd will forgive you quickly and forget they ever heard it. If you let a shaky mix ruin your night, you'll ruin theirs too. Remember, you're a performer, not a machine. A gracefully handled disaster will actually make them love you more.

3) If, despite practice, preparation, etc, you are still horribly nervous, use the bare minimum of whatever intoxicating substance works for ya. The MINIMUM. A hug from your favorite girl (or boy) doesn't hurt either.

TheRabbitMonk
10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Post is close to my heart.

this is what i'm currently going through. i've smoked since i was 14ish.. not hard or anything but over the last years it's become more often. always when i'm on my decks and also on my x box.
i've just moved in with my mrs and she does not approve so i've had to stop.
Personally i don't find it hard to stop smoking, it's more what i associated with whats the problem.
That said i went on my decks yday and got alot done. usually i go in with the view of planning a mix, i get wrecked i just think fuck it and have a mix.. 2 or 3 hours later i have no mix programmed, but i've had a hell of a time. anyway yday i managed to program a cracking mix and didn't get side tracked like i would usually..

so what i've found is, much to my suprise it's better to mix straight.

Also when I play out I don’t smoke, was due to play a couple of Fridays ago after work (i was tired not in the mood at all).. I got there and had a joint, got abit paranoid as it was in quite a rough area with some dodgy looking blokes in there and I just though I ain’t getting my mac book pro out. They would of wet there pants!

That said I didn’t want to play anyway so didn’t, went home and had a game of cod(Mw2 rules with a smoke, 2 claymores light your joint, sit back and let noob run over them. if they get fresh they get a shotgun to the head).. it was the day before I moved in with the mrs as well so I had my priorities straight.

p.s: my mrs is away next weekend (cough cough session woop woop!!! can not wait )
told her when she goes away for a month at xmas i'm getting fucked up i don't care.

Connor
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
.5 mg of klonopin 1-1.5 hours before when I play keeps me nice and calm. No shaking, no jitters.

Nies One
10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
.5 mg of klonopin 1-1.5 hours before when I play keeps me nice and calm. No shaking, no jitters.
Be careful with prescription drugs and do your research, as this should be a discussion with your doctor... Benzo's are powerful drugs that can cause permanent effects on your brain. Also what may work for one person won't always work for another.

As for mixing and cutting on weed maaayn, all in moderation and don't rely on it .. When this subject comes up it always reminds me of this track;
cyZuCW-72Us

or this interview with qbert [go to 2:50]
http://www.mixcloud.com/knocksteady/podcast-77-ks-presents-dj-qbert/

dlove
10-05-2012, 03:12 AM

That is so lame.

dlove
10-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Also when I play out I don’t smoke

You never smell weed in clubs anymore, since the smoking ban. I do 4 hour sets without a break, and when the smoking ban came in, I was a bit worried about 'needing' a smoke. I now practice in my house without smoking, so it doesn't seem weird in the club. I actually prefer it, as I'm not thinking about rolling one, or having a break, I'm just thinking about what I'm doing.

dlove
10-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Be careful with prescription drugs and do your research, as this should be a discussion with your doctor... Benzo's are powerful drugs that can cause permanent effects on your brain. Also what may work for one person won't always work for another.

As for mixing and cutting on weed maaayn, all in moderation and don't rely on it .. When this subject comes up it always reminds me of this track;
cyZuCW-72Us

or this interview with qbert [go to 2:50]
http://www.mixcloud.com/knocksteady/podcast-77-ks-presents-dj-qbert/

That's really cool what QBert says :tup:

Keeping your mind open & strong takes practice - drugs are the quick fix, like liposuction instead of exercise. The person who opts for liposuction will still be flabby.

Connor
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
That is so lame.

Motherfucker I have a prescription for anxiety attacks, if weed was legal do you REALLY think I wouldn't prefer it over pills?

I saw your negative rep, how the FUCK am I championing prescription drugs when I simply said I take .5 mg to keep me calm before a gig? I guarantee you there is at least ONE person in this thread smoking illegally.

"stupid thing to say on a forum - championing prescription drugs? 'dlove"

Get off your fucking high horse it's pretty damn stupid to talk about ingesting an illicit substance on a public forum(if it's not legal were you live of course) if an employer/potential employer knows your DJ name/internet persona and decides to do a search and sees the person talking about smoking weed for example.

Baller95
10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Like Lil Jon says it, GET LOW! Weed is the shit though ;)

dlove
10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
@ connor - when you advocate taking prescription drugs to DJ on a public forum, you're championing it, whether you're aware of it or not. Yes, I neg repped you, and I put my name to that so you'd know it was me, as I've got nothing to hide from anyone. Grow up, son.

DJ-Veaux
10-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm guessing it has something to do with the nerves, but it may just be me...

DJ Nada
10-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Drug addiction is when you feel you NEED a substance to perform normally. That kind of thing isn't normal, and it's very unhealthy. Go talk to a doctor, but not the kind that will give you more pills.

Sigma
10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
@ connor - when you advocate taking prescription drugs to DJ on a public forum, you're championing it, whether you're aware of it or not. Yes, I neg repped you, and I put my name to that so you'd know it was me, as I've got nothing to hide from anyone. Grow up, son.
If someone has been prescribed a drug to control anxiety, what is wrong with taking that drug before a gig to prevent anxiety? Isn't that what it's for? His post is in no way saying "I take this drug so you should too!" - he's just saying what he does, so I think you're being harsh.

DJhalf
10-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Get in front of the crowd more.

dlove
10-07-2012, 05:49 AM
If someone has been prescribed a drug to control anxiety, what is wrong with taking that drug before a gig to prevent anxiety? Isn't that what it's for? His post is in no way saying "I take this drug so you should too!" - he's just saying what he does, so I think you're being harsh.

His first post just said 'I take klonopin (or whatever it is) for no shakes or jitters' in relation to DJ'ing. I might be harsh, but I think I'm being fair.

Sigma
10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Saying that you take a drug is not advocating that others take that drug, and he also made a second post where he explained that it was prescribed for anxiety and you still had a go at him.

It's hypocritical when you posted about smoking cannabis and that you were worried that you wouldn't be able to play a set without "needing a smoke" and that you had to practice DJing at home without smoking it so that you could do it in a club. Who is it that has the addiction again? But I guess cigarettes and weed are fine and drugs prescribed by a doctor are not. :rolleyes:

dlove
10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think it's hypocritical Sigma, because I don't need any substance - saying 'I was a bit worried when the smoking ban came in' is nothing compared to stating a need for anti-anxiety drugs to DJ.

Sigma
10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
The guy was prescribed medicine by a doctor for anxiety. It's designed to be taken to prevent anxiety. He took it to prevent anxiety. You're being a dick about this and berating a guy who suffers with anxiety for taking the very medicine that helps him to get out there and DJ. It's not like he's an alcoholic saying "I can't DJ unless I drink 15 pints". If he'd said "I recommend that you take this anti-anxiety medicine" then yes, that would have been a bad thing to do, but he didn't do that. Only a doctor should be prescribing medicine - or telling people that they shouldn't be taking their medicine.

dlove
10-08-2012, 03:36 AM
^^ I 'berated' him for his first post. How do you know exactly why he was prescribed; he could be fooling the doctor in order to get it, or the doctor could be prescribing something without caring whether he needs it; the point is, you don't know and neither do I; all we have is what he said, which is 'I take klonopin, sorts the shakes & jitters out' in relation to DJ'ing. Get off yer high horse, Sigma; some things just come down to having a bit of common sense.

ps; keeping in mind that this is all posted in 'DJ Techniques'. Be much better suited to 'Off Topic', unless we start talking about the real techniques of calming performance nerves down.

Sigma
10-08-2012, 07:52 AM
he could be fooling the doctor in order to get it, or the doctor could be prescribing something without caring whether he needs it;
Jesus Christ. Just shut the fuck up. Seriously.

Baller95
10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Jesus Christ. Just shut the fuck up. Seriously.

^ :lol:

Sigma
10-08-2012, 08:39 AM
^^lol, honestly man. Some people are so pig-headed that they can NEVER admit that they made a mistake. Instead of just saying "I was judging someone based purely on assumptions, sorry", they instead use those assumptions to try and justify what they did. Fuck that! And this is supposed to be "common sense"?

The good thing about a discussion forum is that you can ask someone a question. If I said "I take Klonopin to calm my nerves" you can easily ask me "how come?" instead of assuming I'm a drug addict, or that my doctor is some evil and corrupt lunatic who is trying to get me hooked on prescription medicines. THAT would be common sense.

Ellissentials
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mj_popcorn.gif

dlove
10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
taking the very medicine that helps him to get out there and DJ.

...trying my hardest to not be a dick about this, honest.

Baller95
10-08-2012, 10:36 AM
^^ well said sigma! People really lack common sence these days it seems :/

dlove
10-08-2012, 12:21 PM
^^ well said sigma! People really lack common sence these days it seems :/

someone 'really lacks' basic spelling, these days. No "seems" about it.

dlove
10-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Think about what you're defending.

light-o-matic
10-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Can we please drop this? It's going nowhere.

You can't tell people who want to believe that all psychoactive drugs are bad, that they aren't.. they just won't hear you.
And you can't tell people who want to believe that all psychoactive drugs are fine, that they aren't.. they just won't hear you.

Sigma
10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Think about what you're defending.
I'm defending a guy's right to take medicine prescribed for anxiety in order to reduce his anxiety.

I'll defend your right to inhale carcinogenic smoke into your lungs that has a high chance of being the cause of your death too, because it's your personal choice as long as others don't have to inhale it. But you have an addiction to a non-prescription drug. The guy you're attacking has a medical condition and is using drugs prescribed to him by a doctor in order to make his life liveable.

I don't think that you actually "think" about this much at all. I don't believe that you are capable of rationalising this or applying any critical thought to it.

Baller95
10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
someone 'really lacks' basic spelling, these days. No "seems" about it.

Stop being a smart ass.

dlove
10-09-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm defending a guy's right to take medicine prescribed for anxiety in order to reduce his anxiety.

I'll defend your right to inhale carcinogenic smoke into your lungs that has a high chance of being the cause of your death too, because it's your personal choice as long as others don't have to inhale it. But you have an addiction to a non-prescription drug. The guy you're attacking has a medical condition and is using drugs prescribed to him by a doctor in order to make his life liveable.

I don't think that you actually "think" about this much at all. I don't believe that you are capable of rationalising this or applying any critical thought to it.

No, Sigma, you're defending this post

".5 mg of klonopin 1-1.5 hours before when I play keeps me nice and calm. No shaking, no jitters."

in relation to this thread, "My mixes seem slow and boring if I don't get high."

Simple LOGIC.

dlove
10-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Insult me all you want; it doesn't make you right.

Sigma
10-09-2012, 07:11 AM
And you have said absolutely nothing to attempt to justify your position. You're just trying to get the last word so your fragile ego doesn't get any more bruised. Well, you can have it now, cos I'm done wasting my time with fucking idiots.

seriousjoel
10-09-2012, 03:54 PM
i hear ya bro,i seem to mix 100times better after a smoke...
Im trying HARD to quit my cannibis addiction as its becoming boring (ive smoked from 12 years old and im now 33) and exspensive not to mention i dont seem to be able to do shit without it :(

I feel what your saying. I just quite smoking cigs about 4 months ago and the only way i cud do it was stop smoking Js as well. I switched to Vaporizer only. Now i can get a nice controlled amount of high with the vaporizer and continue to Mix and Dj.
I live in Canada where we have pretty much completly outlawed smoking so before I would have to leave my decks to pop out for a smoke or to puff. Such a pain.
Totally different now the Vape sits right next to the laptop and I am mixing up a storm now with full concentration on the mix at hand.

(not to mention the vaporizer really helps the wallet by using less product to achieve the high)

dj mcotty
11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
i really appreciate all ur suggestions and comments, u guys are really looking out for a colleague.. but i have come to realize something, it all balls down to the individual involved.i believe if u make a decision and u stand by u can really achieve ur goal. ever since i posted this thread , i took some advises and one way or the other its beginning to work for me. am not going to say which advices i took but all ur contributions were really helpful..much love to everyone. (pls don't exchange words again aittte!!)

ben mills
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I have some money to invest - do you think you could help me out with that?

Spyderfan
04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
As a DJ who ruined his career with drugs and alcohol, I would suggest playing sober. I am not saying what is right for others, but I know that I thought I needed just a little to cut the edge. That little became a lot over time. I ended up selling my gear to pay for my addiction.

I'm now five years sober...completely! I am trying to get back into it, but I am having to literally re-invent myself to even get a chance playing in my hometown.

Lesson learned. I want to start playing again, but I am honing my skills which have become rather rusty with nearly thirteen years without touching a turntable.

Do what is right for you, but beware! Unless you have great self control it is best not to touch the stuff... especially when performing.

-Spyderfan

Rek_Aviles
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
As a DJ who ruined his career with drugs and alcohol, I would suggest playing sober. I am not saying what is right for others, but I know that I thought I needed just a little to cut the edge. That little became a lot over time. I ended up selling my gear to pay for my addiction.

I'm now five years sober...completely! I am trying to get back into it, but I am having to literally re-invent myself to even get a chance playing in my hometown.

Lesson learned. I want to start playing again, but I am honing my skills which have become rather rusty with nearly thirteen years without touching a turntable.

Do what is right for you, but beware! Unless you have great self control it is best not to touch the stuff... especially when performing.

-Spyderfan

Great first post. And congrats on reaching 5 years sober. :tup:

djromanj
04-10-2013, 01:29 PM

-Spyderfan

çongrats on being sober for 5 years...you`ll get back into, just need practice and time

hoff
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
dlove your drug is clearly yourself. get over it. when I started dj'ing i would take .5mg xanax before a gig... I also had it precribed prior for anxiety. after a while, I stopped taking the xanax before a gig because I had become comfortable with it. if I didn't have it to begin with, I doubt I woulda been so cool to start gigging.. dj'ing began as a hobby for me. you're literally acting like a sack of shit. if he was like 'oh i get reall fucked on 10mg klonny to gig its realll nice fuck yeah' it would be a different story.. but he didn't.

and just because you just went out and gigged doesn't mean everyone else can. your ego is clearly massive so i imagine it not being so hard for you. for others, it's a different story.. don't bash them.

now as for OP. sounds like you may have a substance issue that extends beyond just dj'ing. do you go a week sometimes without booze or pot? anxiety provoking situations like dj'ing will magnify withdrawal symptoms FYI

de.j.l
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
d-love is just looking for any thing to combat about. Stop dj'ing and join the army bra.

Baller95
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
:lol:

Manu
04-11-2013, 08:18 AM
I don't drink and DJ, just doesn't do me any favours. I had a couple of recorded sessions at home trying to mix on booze, it gets sloppy after an hour to say the least :uhoh:. I don't suffer from anxiety prior to and during gigs, done too many and know for a fact a crowd doesn't bite except if you play the wrong music. I'll have one beer and that's it, otherwise I always bring my own bottle of water. I like to feel sharp and stay sharp.

As per OP, I think he thinks he sounds better while high, but to me smells like the effects of being high. If you're not good while sober, I can't possibly imagine while that would improve after taking substances.

Finnish_Fox
04-11-2013, 11:15 AM
As per OP, I think he thinks he sounds better while high, but to me smells like the effects of being high. If you're not good while sober, I can't possibly imagine while that would improve after taking substances.

State-dependent learning suggests that you should relate the experience to how you first learned it. So, if you learn to do something in a certain state of mind, studies have shown that people tend to do better on the corresponding test when they are in the same frame of mind.

Not saying this is the case, just suggesting that the matter isn't entirely black and white.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
dlove your drug is clearly yourself. get over it. when I started dj'ing i would take .5mg xanax before a gig......

d-love is just looking for any thing to combat about. Stop dj'ing and join the army bra.....Gentleman,..you do realize,that this is an 5 month old thread(check the dates).No point in attacking some-one who has moved on in life....choose your battles wisely.Peace be with you.:locked: Spyderfan...I wish you all the best!:tup:

The Blackest
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
This thread reminded me of that one Family Guy episode where Peter and Lois start smoking weed and form a band. When they finally perform somewhere, they think they sound amazing. In reality though, they sound god awful.

Finnish_Fox
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Some of that could just be adrenaline though... doubt this chick is high:

http://youtu.be/FRl-JVHrYvo

Manu
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/043/9/d/darth_vader_facepalm_by_benkodjak-d4pio4x.jpg

fat8ack
04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I found this thread to be incredibly entertaining.

I play high, drunk, sober.......whatever. I dont really think about it.

dlove
05-05-2013, 01:50 PM
dlove your drug is clearly yourself. get over it. when I started dj'ing i would take .5mg xanax before a gig... I also had it precribed prior for anxiety. after a while, I stopped taking the xanax before a gig because I had become comfortable with it. if I didn't have it to begin with, I doubt I woulda been so cool to start gigging.. dj'ing began as a hobby for me. you're literally acting like a sack of shit. if he was like 'oh i get reall fucked on 10mg klonny to gig its realll nice fuck yeah' it would be a different story.. but he didn't.

and just because you just went out and gigged doesn't mean everyone else can. your ego is clearly massive so i imagine it not being so hard for you. for others, it's a different story.. don't bash them.

now as for OP. sounds like you may have a substance issue that extends beyond just dj'ing. do you go a week sometimes without booze or pot? anxiety provoking situations like dj'ing will magnify withdrawal symptoms FYI

Real Recognises Real.

The buzz is the point, fool.

dlove
05-05-2013, 01:53 PM
why would you want to take a drug to dull the buzz...oh yeh, because you can't handle it.

dlove
05-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't suffer from anxiety prior to and during gigs, done too many and know for a fact a crowd doesn't bite except if you play the wrong music.

:) I do suffer from nerves before gigs, but I've learned how to cool my mind - one of the factors is remembering what you just said, Manu.

If you're confident in your music, you're confident.

I've done 10 years (and counting) of gigs, and I'm always nervous, controlled, then hyped! - it's why I do it!

dlove
05-05-2013, 02:23 PM
and no wonder you're all so mediocre [to the O.P and hoff, and anyone else that wants to herald the new age of medication to function for all] - zombiefied on prescription drugs.

hoff
05-05-2013, 06:23 PM
and no wonder you're all so mediocre [to the O.P and hoff, and anyone else that wants to herald the new age of medication to function for all] - zombiefied on prescription drugs.

meh :jerk:

I'm sorry, I was just being a mediocre brain cancer researcher while you were going on and on in this forum. really must've been zombified getting published in the International Journal of Radiation Oncology at the age of 21.

oh, and before you just go assume all this shit dlove, maybe refer to the thread where I mentioned I broke my neck snowboarding at the age of 13 and had to learn how to do everything again. still use a wheelchair and walk with canes, making typical jitters a much bigger deal as they destabilize me.. making it harder to walk. people have their reasons, not everyone had the same life you've had.

dlove
05-06-2013, 05:09 AM
my last post on this stupid thread

This is the DJ TECHNIQUES forum, not a brain cancer forum.

Manu
05-06-2013, 05:56 AM
:) I do suffer from nerves before gigs, but I've learned how to cool my mind - one of the factors is remembering what you just said, Manu.

If you're confident in your music, you're confident.

I've done 10 years (and counting) of gigs, and I'm always nervous, controlled, then hyped! - it's why I do it!

I had to acquire the experience AND confidence first of course, it's definitely not built in. It took a few gigs but I started very early on then held a daily residency at my college for a few years. Now it's more like a complete reversed feeling, I look forward to it without any anxiety. It's something that cannot be matched by drugs, sometimes I even think to myself that it's better than sex.

State-dependent learning suggests that you should relate the experience to how you first learned it. So, if you learn to do something in a certain state of mind, studies have shown that people tend to do better on the corresponding test when they are in the same frame of mind.

I had my first decks as a toddler, wasn't aware of the joys of beer back then.

hoff
05-06-2013, 08:05 PM
my last post on this stupid thread

This is the DJ TECHNIQUES forum, not a brain cancer forum.

perfect, so I'll take this opportunity to have the last word then. sorry but considering this thread directly relates to psychoactive compounds in regards to dj techniques I'd say it's worth a mention. good try though. and also doesn't change the fact that you're dust.

also, the second portion of my post is surely worth a mention considering I was too shaky to walk across a stage prior to treating anxiety (demyelination is a bitch, anxiety directly feeds into it)

jamesmington
06-11-2013, 11:55 AM
It seems like a self-esteem / confidence issue. I would recommend that you practice more so you become more comfortable with your techniques when performing in front of a crowd. The more gigs you get, the more comfortable you become in that setting.

Lastly, I don't think being high or drunk is ever professional.