PDA

View Full Version : upside down mirror ball

Silver Man
10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I have times where it would be nice to have a mirror ball sitting on a base on top of a totem rather than hanging. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Mystic
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes, they are normally toys from Spencer's Gifts.

Silver Man
10-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Yes, they are normally toys from Spencer's Gifts.

LOL, but not at all what I am going towards, but figures that is all there is. Didn't know if a rotating base was made that would attach a standard mirror ball. Love my ball, just a pain to find a place to hang it sometimes. Thought it would be a nice cross between a mirror ball and the star balls. (I will not get a star ball.)

Mystic
10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I've seen them in the past but they are usually homemade. You also can't use large balls with them.

Synaxis
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I've seen them in the past but they are usually homemade. You also can't use large balls with them.

^^ This. Mirror balls are supposed to hang, so your only solution is something DIY.

Here is a video that should help you, make by DJ Mikey Mike;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcALMa3Uuso

DJ Higgumz
10-09-2012, 09:55 PM
i've seen that vid, I thought it looked very cool. I think he mentioned putting signs on it too, which is also cool

jlcpremier
10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
or just buy one of the mirror ball effect lights. I know ADJ makes a white and color one

Silver Man
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
or just buy one of the mirror ball effect lights. I know ADJ makes a white and color one

To me there is no substitute to a Mirror Ball. The effect lights are not the same. I would much rather do what DJ Mikey did in the video. I may go that way, or maybe I'll make a hanger that can mount to the top of the stand.

blasterman
10-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah...mirror balls are really unique and the consumer class LED substitutes aren't even close. Plus, by changing gobos and altering your distance you can get a variety of effects.

Another advantage to support mounting a ball -vs- hanging it is safety regulations. Your typical slung mirror ball and motor is an ACME anvil / road runner trap waiting to happen, and it's a lot easier on your peace of mind when you support it like the video. Plus, firing a moving head at it direct at line sight can be a very neat effect -vs- the classic roller rink effect during a slow dance. Lots of options.

I think a reason disco balls aren't as popular as they should be is the lighting options popular with them. The classic Halogen 60watt pinspot is marginally in the same class as a flash light. HID on narrow focus is prefered, and I build my own 2 degree LD heads to light them up with beams reflecting 100'. I'm sure Mystic has figured out the trick to light a disco ball from two offset moving heads and flipping color wheels. Effect is on par with laser diffractor projectors, except 1000x brighter.

Silver Man
10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I have mine hung from a single light stand. I use my Blizzard Lighting Torrent 90 Spots to hit the ball. It works well and allows me to do color. Place a rotating gobo on it and then the beams dance from the ball. All good, but still a little bit of an eye sore.

raymor
05-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Love my ball, just a pain to find a place to hang it sometimes.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm sure it still applies for a lot of people. A sheperd's hook from your local garden center will take care of the problem of finding a place to hang it. It let's you hang it on top of a stand or truss.

http://eventsunlimitedbyesther.com/rentals/images/Shepherds%20Hook1.jpg

DJJD
05-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I cant find the video, but I came across a dj who placed a disco ball on one side of the ball room, then had a few sharpy 5r moving heads on the other side of the room. Throughout the night he would go back and forth between having the sharpys focused on the ball and just having the heads move around. Gave an excellent effect, looked professional, and at the same time looked fairly easy to setup.

DJzrule
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I cant find the video, but I came across a dj who placed a disco ball on one side of the ball room, then had a few sharpy 5r moving heads on the other side of the room. Throughout the night he would go back and forth between having the sharpys focused on the ball and just having the heads move around. Gave an excellent effect, looked professional, and at the same time looked fairly easy to setup.

It was DJ Mikey Mike with his Elation Platinum Spot 5R rig on totems. Very cool effect when pulled off properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCQqrW5A4Zk