PDA

View Full Version : Stanton ST150 - what to check for?

rotoitiman
10-01-2012, 04:01 PM
http://flic.kr/p/dfU4uA

Hey guys
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Stanton Turntable ST150 for approx $240US, locally.
TT1200s retail second hand in NZ for approx $400US in my country.

It comes with a 7 day guarantee so I can do some testing.

Im really keen to get 1 turntable as I am really enjoying using Timecode on my SL-DZ1200, and I feel I am progressing since moving from my Traktor S4 to a larger platter.

My question is: How do I know if the Turntable works correctly? What do I need to carefully check on the table itself so I can use Timecode.

http://flic.kr/p/dfU4uA

nolimitz
10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
0_0 ST-150 for $240?!?!!!? That's really good. Now, i'm not sure if the Stanton's have the pitch calibration diagram with the Platter Dots that 1200's have but if they do, make sure the pitch is on point.

Make sure the audio cables don't have any frays, cracks or rips. Obviously check for visual imperfections although it shouldn't matter much especially for that price. Try a record on it if available or the person has their dvs set up, ask to test it using their time code. That's if the purchase will be at their place lol obviously.

Anything i missed guys?

rotoitiman
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks nolimitz. Its from the local pawn shop, and comes with a 7 day guarantee. Im really keen to get it, just dont know what to look for regarding problems. Will take it home, plug it in and attempt to use it with DVS. Cheers

syks
10-04-2012, 02:59 AM
make sure you check the tone arms are all solid and not loose/wobbly or broken.

Sigma
10-04-2012, 03:20 AM
The audio cables are just regular cables that connect externally to RCA plugs on the back of the deck, so they don't connect internally like on a Technics deck and therefore won't be an issue to replace if necessary. There's no need for a ground lead with a STR8-150.

I would check the tonearm, as skys said. Check the pitch accuracy using the dots, as nolimitz said. Check that all the buttons work, that it sounds OK and that there's no obvious signs of damage or something being spilled on the deck.

rotoitiman
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys - Hopefully if the hardware works out I will be purchasing my first ever TURNTABLE today!

syks
10-06-2012, 06:06 PM
so did you get your new turntable??? :)

rotoitiman
10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
so did you get your new turntable??? :)

Made the decision not to get it. The Tone arm felt loose, the lady that brought it out to show me treated it like crap (she pretty much dropped it on the table). The motor felt amazing though compared to my DZ1200 - I couldnt believe the Torque on it!! But I couldnt take the risk. I wish I was able to take someone that had experience with me. I checked out the shop, and they retail new for about 680us at the local music shop with Warranty.

LoopKat
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
^ Sounds like a good move.

rotoitiman
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
And now I really wish I got that Turntable. My DZ1200 feels like rubbish.