PDA

View Full Version : How do I get myself 'out there'?

Fearntree
09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm 16 years old and I've just spent heaps of money on some kit hoping I would be able to do some parties and gigs. I decided to do it because on holiday I had a go on some really nice gear and the resident DJ told me how he was impressed. But even though I have my own website I just can't seem to get the trade. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be great, cheers :)

DJ-Veaux
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
What exactly are you trying to ask? Are you asking how to show your skills to the world and perhaps land a gig or two? Or are you trying to ask how to become a better DJ? Perhaps a combination of both?

fueledbymusic
09-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Offer a "practice" gig on craigslist!

brian102
09-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Its hard to get yourself known. Word of mouth is great make sure all your friends know. Their friends anyone you can tell tell them.

DJ-Veaux
09-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Post mixes on soundcloud, throw parties/hangouts with a few of your friends. Don't try to force it upon everyone that you are a DJ. Let them get to know you a bit before you go around telling you're a DJ, unless they ask directly.

I would suggest that you post mixes on soundcloud and get feedback from these forums. Once you're getting mostly good feedback, then I would suggest you start seriously thinking about getting the gigs.

Once you get the gigs going, if they are good ones, you will slowly find more and more requests. That's when you know you're not just a rookie anymore.

Fearntree
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys, I've done a couple of parties for my friends and then did my teacher's son's birthday party. Have any of you got any advertising techniques you find useful?

DJ-Veaux
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys, I've done a couple of parties for my friends and then did my teacher's son's birthday party. Have any of you got any advertising techniques you find useful?

Fliers, craigslist, word of mouth. The magic three that work for me.

Sublim&All
10-02-2012, 03:08 AM
I'd say: try to land some gigs for free in places you would like to play more. In that way the owners can check whether you are what they are looking for, without it costing them anything. Just show them your best and they should hire you afterwards if they like what they hear.

elviejoboy
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey you are saying post your mixes on soundcloud i had been trying to post a couple of my mixes on soundcloud and they write back to me with the copy right bulls!!tttt. Any help

Post mixes on soundcloud, throw parties/hangouts with a few of your friends. Don't try to force it upon everyone that you are a DJ. Let them get to know you a bit before you go around telling you're a DJ, unless they ask directly.

I would suggest that you post mixes on soundcloud and get feedback from these forums. Once you're getting mostly good feedback, then I would suggest you start seriously thinking about getting the gigs.

Once you get the gigs going, if they are good ones, you will slowly find more and more requests. That's when you know you're not just a rookie anymore.

DJ-Veaux
10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey you are saying post your mixes on soundcloud i had been trying to post a couple of my mixes on soundcloud and they write back to me with the copy right bulls!!tttt. Any help

Huh...I haven't run into this problem before....Maybe if you are trying to claim ownership of it when you are setting the terms in your soundcloud details. For me, I haven't run into this song....If you're only playing one or two songs in your mix then yes they will claim copyright junk :P

Also, try mixify. It's a virtual online DJ website where DJ's can play live. If you try out there and get some good reactions, then you can really get yourself a toehold on the industry. Maybe post fliers with QR codes around your school navigating people to your mixify link...Just ideas ^.^

If soundcloud doesn't work out, post your mix on mixify. Mixify is still in beta, so they haven't quite settled the copyright issues yet.

DJhalf
10-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I've always volunteered to help other DJs, even play for free. Develop a trust amongst the community and you'll get your time.

djromanj
10-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Word of mouth and being in the right community will help your cause. It won't hhappen over night, but it will in time.

DJhalf
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Keep doing what your doing. Sometimes participating on some contests or battles can get u out there

Jon Salem
10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I just posted this shortly ago: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?14721-Some-Thoughts-for-Aspiring-DJs

It's a write up by a DJ, Producer, a label owner named Kenneth Thomas that gives some insight on how he got his start and what you may want to think about also. Also, I'm not sure about your area, but unfortunately around my parts its almost impossible for a 16 year old to get show given most places require 18+ for bars and more club-style places are requiring 21+. Best thing to do is just keep at it, and keep making content to pass out to get your name around.

MarcusB
10-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Network, network, network.

1 - You're 16, so I'm not sure if you can get into clubs. But I know that you know people who know people who need to hire a DJ. At 16, and relatively obscure, you're attractive because you're cheap. Work this to your advantage. And remember that you're not too good or to big to play anything. Bar mitzvah? Do it. Wedding? Jam out. Birthday party, beach party, or house party? Rock 'em. House parties are especially convenient, since they are more intimate, and allow you to be more creative. Not sure if your parents will let you out of the house to stay out all night on a Friday or Saturday (mine didn't), but this is a good way to network. Just don't get sucked into the drugs and crap, unless that's your thing. Just sayin'.

2 - Outside of a party environment, be super chill about what you're doing. For example, if you're meeting some new people, don't just say, "I DJ". But do let it ******ly drop into conversation IF it fits the context of the conversation. People will ask what you play, how you started, things like that. If you've got a Soundcloud up, you can point them to that or any other music hosting site. Business cards can help here, but if you don't have any just get their email address, email them with a quick reminder and a link to your page.

3 - From there, it's word of mouth, but you gotta be out there, be a face, and be known by people. Don't be afraid to promote yourself when you're in the right environment to do so. Talk with people about their taste in music, always have a recommendation for a new band/artist, and always ask people to recommend their favorite artist/group of the moment. If you love the music you play, it'll shine through. It'll attract people who want to book you. If you show interest in other people's tastes, regardless of the genre, that'll take you places, too. But always be genuine in your interest, and people will take a genuine interest in you.

4 - Once you've got a following, and you're known as a decent DJ, then the game changes slightly such that you have to maintain a following. That's when all the groundwork you've been doing will pay off, as those people you know will start bringing people to see you play. Once promoters know that you can bring a crowd, you'll start getting better bookings (so long as your skills are up to snuff). It's a long arduous process, but hard work, diligence, hard work, creativity, and hard work will always be rewarded.

And remember: always treat people well. Be good, kind, gracious, and attentive, and I swear that will get you much further than being an obnoxious braggart.

DJ Nada
10-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Soundcloud, Youtube, and Craigslist have been 101% useless in getting me gigs. Are you guys saying you've gotten gigs off of Soundcloud? Seriously?
Playing for charity events and house parties are good ways to get your name out. Starting out, you'll be working for free a lot.

DJhalf
10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I started working for free when I was first performing in night clubs in a small town. Soon as I was developing into something very good, is when I was afforded the compensation. Its an emotional roller coaster ride at the beginning. Soon as you have perfected your talent. Thats when you will be demanded.