PDA

View Full Version : Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones

Sigma
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Anyone got a pair of these? If so, what do you think of them?

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro.html

Will SwoO
09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I've had a pair for a couple years now, they're good headphones, nice and flat response, good isolation and they are very comfortable I've left them on for hours with no discomfort. Velour ear cushions man............its like a chinchilla hugging your head

Redcon-1
09-28-2012, 05:16 AM
I don't own them, but I tested them when I was looking for a new set of DJ cans recently...

Like will said, relatively flat response, although I'd say the low end is definitely emphasized a bit. I'd say isolation was pretty average. Very comfortable due to the velour pads and large earcups. All in all I think they'd be really fun to own, but I decided against them mainly because they are extremely large (think DJ1 Pro) and the earcups don't swivel, so if you are planning on using them to spin with you are basically stuck with them on your head for the entire set, or you have to put them around your neck which ends up being like a neckbrace due to the large earcups and lack of rotating earcups

Phil Noize
09-28-2012, 05:44 AM
I've heard great things about the DT770s. They're very popular with a lot of European DJs & sound engineers. Exceptional value for the quality of the sound. They're a bit fugly though!

I use the DT1350s. They have a very flat response, but they're pricey. JFunk sorted me a pair with a good discount. :tup:

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-1350.html

Sigma
09-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Cheers gents. I'm not sure what to go for yet!

Daniel S
09-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I have a pair and I love them for using at home. They are super comfortable and I can wear them for hours. Sound quality is great, but as said before, the bass response is a little exaggerated. The only negative thing is they're not loud enough for night club use. The sensitivity on them is quite low, so the average DJ mixer, like Pioneer, don't have enough oomph on the headphone amp to properly drive them.

Redcon-1
09-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Sigma, are u looking for DJ cans or just listening cans? Like I said, the Beyerdynamics are pretty bulky. I just picked up these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=547239&Q=&is=REG&A=details and I have been very happy. The HFI-580's are DJ1's except they have a straight cord and different cosmetics. The highs seemed a bit thin/harsh and the bass was bit off when they first arrived, but after about 60 hours burn-in I am really loving these. I have been using HD-25's for the past 2.5 years or so, so that is my baseline for comparison.... I also checked out the TMA-1, DT770, HDJ-1000 and HDJ-2000, KRK KNS-8400, ATH-M50, MDR-7506, HD280 before deciding ordering the Ultrasones. For $120 I think they are a steal, but Idk what you could get them across the pond for...

Also, I believe the DT770's come in an 80ohm version if you are worried that your mixer won't drive them efficiently...

Sigma
09-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm after some DJ cans, but I'm not a big fan of the small "on ear" type headphones like the HD-25s. These ones were just a thought, as they're on sale at Amazon at the moment.

I was also looking at the Ultrasone HFI-780s, which I guess is a couple of models up from the ones you mentioned. I'll have a dig around and see how much the HFI-580s are over here.

JFunk
10-02-2012, 01:48 AM
I have used them for DJing - I found that the velour pads that come with them, although super comfy, don't isolate as well as they could but if you swap the pads out for the vinyl ones they are great for DJing as they have a lot of detail in the mids to help you mix in key and super durable. You can also buy a special version of the DT770 designed for drummers which come with the vinyl pads but I think it is cheaper to buy the standard ones and change the pads.
If you like the HD25 I would probably go with those instead though as they are about the same price but fit in a record box much more easily than the DT770 as they are half the size

Daniel S
10-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Also, I believe the DT770's come in an 80ohm version if you are worried that your mixer won't drive them efficiently...

I have the 80 Ohm version, but they are still not loud enough for DJing. Sensitivity on these are like 96dB whereas the typical DJ headphone is >10 dB higher than that.

The difference between the Pro and the M versions is much more than the velour vs. vinyl pads. They have totally different drivers as well. The M doesn't sound as good as the Pro but would make a way better DJ headphone.