PDA

View Full Version : First Lighting Rig

sk8heaven27
09-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey guys! So I'm working on making my first simple lighting rig and I was wanting to ask you all for some suggestions. I do small events for my university in Lake Wales Florida, from a Halloween party, to small fraternity and sorority parties as well. Originally I just borrowed 2 American DJ Reflex lights, 2 generic strobes, and a fog machine. And as ridiculous as that sounds, that was perfectly enough. Only bummer was that there were no frames or trusses to mount the lights, we just put them on or around the DJ booth (again, I'm talking smaller parties).

So now that I don't have access to those lights anymore, I feel like I could do better than the past, and at least one-up the past rig by having them mounted and hanging. I don't have a budget necessarily, but I would like to stay under $700. I don't mind buying used, and I've noticed that ebay has some good deals from time to time. I just am not sure what "beginner" lights to get and the brands that are solid.

Thanks.

sss18734
09-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Two strip wash lights, two effect lights like the Chauvet Trident, a fog machine, and a truss + clamps should run you around $700. That's basically what I used during college.

fueledbymusic
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Even a light tree too. Since it is really easy to set up and very portable.

BillESC
09-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Agreed, a LTS-01 tripod with T bar, a full sized LED strip style fixture and Micro laser. Add a small fogger and you're good to go with money left over.

DJ M&M
09-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I agree with everyone else but instead of a laser cause there only cool if there big (thats just me dont actually go buy a giant laser). I would buy an effect light like the chauvet cube or circus