PDA

View Full Version : Good monitors for producing DnB

Jordy Beckers
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Hello fellow DJ brothers,

I really want to get started on producing. Thing is, I'm looking for some active audio monitors and a DAW. I just don't know which monitors fit music like DnB good? I mean they really need to pick up all the low sounds. Can someone recommend me a pair for around €400 total?

Thanks in advance.

The Blackest
09-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Rockits work pretty well. I have a pair of Mackies and saving up to get either a set of Adams or Focals.

I know a lot of big names that use Rockits though....

Jordy Beckers
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Rockits work pretty well. I have a pair of Mackies and saving up to get either a set of Adams or Focals.

I know a lot of big names that use Rockits though....

Alright, thanks. What about M-Audio?

DJ LEVLHED
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
You can use any monitors as long as you learn to translate what you hear from them into what is going on in the music.
If you are serious you will either spend the money for the really good monitors or you will just buy what you can afford and learn to deal with it.

The Blackest
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
^^^ This

For a bit, The Upbeats used a beat up pair of home stereo monitors when they were releasing tunes on Bad Company. So its possible to make good music on any set really. Well...almost..

Jordy Beckers
10-02-2012, 05:30 AM
^^^ This

For a bit, The Upbeats used a beat up pair of home stereo monitors when they were releasing tunes on Bad Company. So its possible to make good music on any set really. Well...almost..

Good point, thanks for the info. Probably will be buying two of this, fits more in my budget http://www.bax-shop.nl/dj-studio-monitor/mackie-mr8-mkii-actieve-studio-monitor-per-stuk/product-details.html ... Even though I hear good overall experencies from Mackie everywhere and it seems Fred V & Grafix use the Mackie HR824 :)

GaFFLe
10-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Hey guys, I'm not into production but I heard the Yamaha NS10s were the best for production use. They're discontinued now but is that true?

The Blackest
10-02-2012, 05:57 AM
Even though I hear good overall experencies from Mackie everywhere and it seems Fred V & Grafix use the Mackie HR824 :)

I have the HR824s and they are beasts!

DYM
10-02-2012, 06:27 AM
M-Audio BX8s are a great, I have a pair on accoustic pads.. Got some serious bass output for what they are.

lburners
10-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm not into production but I heard the Yamaha NS10s were the best for production use. They're discontinued now but is that true?
Ns10s have been out of production for a while to my knowledge. They are not particularly great sounding speakers. I think it is more a matter of them being a standard that veteran producers and engineers can count on from familiarity. I would not go out of my way to acquire a pair if I were a bedroom / beginner producer. Probably spend your money more wisely elsewhere.

thehadgi
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Yamaha hs 50m's

or 80's

my 2 cents

DJ LEVLHED
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
The thing w NS10's are they are actually crummy sounding speakers! They work because *if* you can make a mix sound good on those, then the mix will sound good almost everywhere else.

Jordy Beckers
10-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Serious? That's nice man!

Jordy Beckers
10-05-2012, 06:51 AM
M-Audio BX8s are a great, I have a pair on accoustic pads.. Got some serious bass output for what they are.

Okay, but scoustic pads, are they recommended for buying with monitors?

djknowledge
10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
In all honesty, unless you have a PERFECT acoustically tuned room specifically made for mixing down tracks, the monitors sound will be colored by the acoustics imperfections in the room. Although the monitors do help against consumer speakers, your best bet is to invest in a mighty good pair of studio headphones and learn to translate what you hear on those into better tracks. Most home studios won't compete with the way professional set-ups have treated their rooms. Not saying you can't make awesome mixes at home or learn to compensate for proximity effect and reverb or other acoustic phenomenon, but having a pair of studio quality headphones is a must for any studio. It also makes sense to have another pair of monitors readily available as well as some consumer speakers to immediately test out your mix. If it sounds good on most of the stuff you have around, it will sound good everywhere.

sobi
10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
and with all that said, realize that in the end, if your music is good and you can come at least close to even keeled, you'll be ok. Daft Punks Homework was recorded in a bedroom, and that was one of the most important albums in house music.