PDA

View Full Version : CDJ 850/900/2000 guys, input needed.

S.Michael
02-14-2012, 05:09 AM
So I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I currently own 2x CDJ 1000's (mk3) and feel like I am behind the tech curve with the CDJ's. Is it really worth upgrading though? I am currently looking at the CDJ 850, CDJ900, CDJ2000, any input as to why I should upgrade or stick with my current rig is greatly appreciated.

JohnXVI
02-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Don't upgrade for the sake of having the latest, especially when it comes to Pioneer gear. Update because for example: you are tired of burning CDs, find it more time effective to just copy your tracks to a thumb drive prior to a gig, want a deck that you could use with DVS and keep some of its capabilities etc. Also when you say you are looking at the 850, 900 and 2000, those are pretty big price gaps. Which features are you interested on, and how will you use those decks so we can help you decide better?

Nicadraus
02-14-2012, 06:16 AM
It depends on what you want. If you're after the USB or HID functions, then it's time to upgrade. But if you play regualr CDs/MP3s/DVS, then there is no reason to upgrade especially if your CDJ-1000s are still working as they should. :)

brichi
02-14-2012, 07:09 AM
if all you are going to do is control serato or traktor, keep the 1000's, if you plan on going the route of using Rekordbox and using flash drives or external drives and ditching serato of traktor (or any other dvs), then upgrade.

S.Michael
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
if all you are going to do is control serato or traktor, keep the 1000's, if you plan on going the route of using Rekordbox and using flash drives or external drives and ditching serato of traktor (or any other dvs), then upgrade.

I am a "cd purist/elitist" if you will, I do not use any form of DVS and do not ever plan too. It is such an unnecessary hassle and I find it to be a waste to turn great CDJ's into dummy controllers.

Now onto the topic of how I use CDJ's, I burn one song to a cd and even if I upgrade i plan on playing the same way, one cd one track. It is the best system I have found yet. I do not think I would mind the ability to use a thumbstick if needed, but it would not be my main way of playing. I just figured maybe it was time to move onto newer technology, and the feel of a fresh crisp new CDJ.

I also know how quick pioneer adds new products, you buy the latest and a year later something even better is out...but I love pioneer, in fact it is the only gear I use. I tend to be a bit of a CDJ junkie too, I have 2x CDJ1000, 2x CDJ200 (back ups) and 2x CDJ100 (in immaculate condition). I have been thinking about adding some CDJ800's as well. Sorry for ranting...

Andrew B
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Seems like there's no reason for you to upgrade. I'm still quite happy with my 1000mk3s.

S.Michael
02-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Seems like there's no reason for you to upgrade. I'm still quite happy with my 1000mk3s.

Yeah, I do want to upgrade but know it is not needed at all, I just need to calm down and not make a rash decision.

brichi
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
as far as

I also know how quick pioneer adds new products, you buy the latest and a year later something even better is out...
thats not entirely true either, I bought the cdj2000's when they were released 2-1/2 years ago and they are still top of the pioneer line

S.Michael
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
as far as

thats not entirely true either, I bought the cdj2000's when they were released 2-1/2 years ago and they are still top of the pioneer line

I know lol, I was exaggerating a bit.

brichi
02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
LOL,,,, It's a tough call right now man, Being that you are all cd, i don't see too much of an advantage in a new deck that will do the exact same thing as you already have, If you were having issues with the 1000's and needed an upgrade then ok, but to drop that kind of cash just to have new gear, that sounds like something only I would do, hahahaha

Nicadraus
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I am a "cd purist/elitist" if you will, I do not use any form of DVS and do not ever plan too. It is such an unnecessary hassle and I find it to be a waste to turn great CDJ's into dummy controllers.

FYI: Using DVS doesn't make your CDJs or vinyl turntables into dummy controllers. It's very much different from MIDI controllers. DVS is actually HASSLE FREE compared to lugging CDs/vinyl records around.

Being a CD purist/elitist doesn't give you the same level of purity as vinyl purists. If you want to be an elitist, then you should use vinyl records and stop being pretentious.

Somedj
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
lol, cd purist.... im a music purist, I use a drum

S.Michael
02-15-2012, 04:56 AM
FYI: Using DVS doesn't make your CDJs or vinyl turntables into dummy controllers. It's very much different from MIDI controllers. DVS is actually HASSLE FREE compared to lugging CDs/vinyl records around.

Being a CD purist/elitist doesn't give you the same level of purity as vinyl purists. If you want to be an elitist, then you should use vinyl records and stop being pretentious.

You guys have to ease up around here, everyone is so serious to jump all over each other for no reason. I have tried trackor and was not impressed, I also tried virtual dj (again not impressed), I don't know what it is I just do not like DVS systems. I also do not want to monkey around with a laptop, external soundcars and/or timecodes. I am very happy with how I do things with cds. I do not lug vinyl around, but imagine it would be a nightmare...all I do is throw my cd wallet and headphones in a backpack and I am out, works great for me.

I said the "purist" comment with sarcasm, though it can not be conveyed through text.

Stirred
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Going through something similar now! I have been on my CDJ 800Mk2s for a couple of years now... they've been babied and are in great condition! I'm trying to justify getting the CDJ 900s

Alot of the bells and whistles will not be used on a regular... but the 900s are sexy as hell!!!

lol.. I posted my 800s on CL for 1150... alot of interest... if I have a serious buyer, my decision may be easy. I'm having posters remorse though... I DONT REALLY WANT TO SELL!

Somedj
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
... I DONT REALLY WANT TO SELL!

then dont?

Nin
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I've been gigging with a pair of CDJ 800 MK IIs with Serato for the past 3.5 years. I wanna cop a pair of the black 850s primarily because they are natively supported by Serato; but I'm probably gonna wait a while before I pull the trigger considering that the 800s still work fine and I don't really NEED to upgrade. Plus I don't really wanna spent $1800 right now.

Liam
02-23-2012, 09:47 AM
You guys have to ease up around here, everyone is so serious to jump all over each other for no reason. I have tried trackor and was not impressed, I also tried virtual dj (again not impressed), I don't know what it is I just do not like DVS systems. I also do not want to monkey around with a laptop, external soundcars and/or timecodes. I am very happy with how I do things with cds. I do not lug vinyl around, but imagine it would be a nightmare...all I do is throw my cd wallet and headphones in a backpack and I am out, works great for me.

This is pretty much my attitude towards DVS. I took advantage of the Traktor deal little over a year ago and got the Audio 8 on the cheap. I have only used it a handfull of times. Now my question to myself was to upgrade from my MK3's to something newer (similar to yourself) but recently i have decided against it. I don't tend on using USB sticks or DVS, i just plan on burning CD's still so i have kept my MK3's and i think i will upgrade my mixer instead.

golem
02-26-2012, 07:38 AM
I would update only if you require the USB-stick/hardrive connectivity and no Windows users are going to use your players.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2377-Pioneer-CDJs-do-NOT-support-over-32GB-USB-harddisks-sticks-in-Windows-7

HID support is a joke, I tried it and there is far too much latency/response sluggishness to consider it for a professional DJ working. Dedicated controller (e.g. S4, probably also DDJ-T1) is much more accurate, and of course a timecode based system.

In addition to USB and HID there isn't really anything essential that CDJ-1000mk3 does not have.

Wakka
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
just wait to see if pioneer releases CDJ-2000 updates by the summer.

S.Michael
03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
This is pretty much my attitude towards DVS. I took advantage of the Traktor deal little over a year ago and got the Audio 8 on the cheap. I have only used it a handfull of times. Now my question to myself was to upgrade from my MK3's to something newer (similar to yourself) but recently i have decided against it. I don't tend on using USB sticks or DVS, i just plan on burning CD's still so i have kept my MK3's and i think i will upgrade my mixer instead.

Yeah, I decided not to upgrade, my money can be put to use elsewhere. A new mixer may be in order for me too, I am still drooling over the DJM2000 but the asking price is ughhhh. And I really do like my DJM600 even though it is a has been at this point.

DJNR
03-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I decided not to upgrade, my money can be put to use elsewhere. A new mixer may be in order for me too, I am still drooling over the DJM2000 but the asking price is ughhhh. And I really do like my DJM600 even though it is a has been at this point.

Based of most reviews that I have read, the DJM-2000 isn't worth it. Even the screen (its main selling point) is junk.

Subprime
03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
What about the 800, nice step up from the 600 imo.

DJNR
03-03-2012, 04:35 PM

+1.

You could probably find a good deal on an 800 because of everybody trying to upgrade to a 900.

Rev1911
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
+1.

You could probably find a good deal on an 800 because of everybody trying to upgrade to a 900.

I know of someone with a mint DJM-800/roadcase deal running in the Classifieds section...

S.Michael
03-10-2012, 05:08 AM

I do like the 600 do not get me wrong, I may look into a used 800 or 900 though when the time is right.

Ver Jaina
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Going through something similar now! I have been on my CDJ 800Mk2s for a couple of years now... they've been babied and are in great condition! I'm trying to justify getting the CDJ 900s

Alot of the bells and whistles will not be used on a regular... but the 900s are sexy as hell!!!

lol.. I posted my 800s on CL for 1150... alot of interest... if I have a serious buyer, my decision may be easy. I'm having posters remorse though... I DONT REALLY WANT TO SELL!
Kind of feeling the same way too, even when the 900s was first announced in 2009..
Fast forward & my almost 5 year old CDJ-800mk2 still works fine & feel as new as their first day...too bad my cd burners are dying out (and my laptop too). this makes burning CDs very tedious...i just dislike it when i have the mood to hit up the decks & tried to mix something new, it was ruined just because hours of failed CD burning effort.

I think i'm not going to buy any more CDJ if the 800s are broken....i have some interest in DVS but the setting up & connecting the laptop is another turn off...but then, i dont know..really..

Finnish_Fox
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
What are used 800s going for?

Ver Jaina
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
i'm not sure about your market price, but here it range from USD 500 - 660 each

Finnish_Fox
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
i'm not sure about your market price, but here it range from USD 500 - 660 each

Hmmm... is it worth the upgrade from a 700? I don't really do harmonic mixing or anything. Probably not... huh?

Ver Jaina
03-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Hmmm... is it worth the upgrade from a 700? I don't really do harmonic mixing or anything. Probably not... huh?

oh sorry i thought we're talking about the CDJ800?
yes i do have a DJM800, and for this one i'm not sure if the upgrade to DJM900 is worth it since i'm not really using the effects on it.

Blueprint
03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I was in the same predicament. I decided not to upgrade (I bought my 1000mk3s for retail about $2300). My buddy did too, and he said something that made me laugh, he said that the 1000mk3s are like legendary and it's what you learned on and you're abandoning equipment that you have zero issues with and isn't necessarily out of date. There are still 1000s floating around on mid-level clubs and at parties. Last but not least, if you uppgrade, the only upgrade would be to to go to the 900s or 2000s, both of which are very expensive and you'd only be getting the usb/screen upgraded. All models below this sacrifice on something you would hate to compromise - a smaller platter.

My solution was to use Traktor with cdjs for my radio show at home and audio cds when at gigs.

S.Michael
03-17-2012, 05:43 AM

Still like $900+ for a djm800

S.Michael
03-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Kind of feeling the same way too, even when the 900s was first announced in 2009..
Fast forward & my almost 5 year old CDJ-800mk2 still works fine & feel as new as their first day...too bad my cd burners are dying out (and my laptop too). this makes burning CDs very tedious...i just dislike it when i have the mood to hit up the decks & tried to mix something new, it was ruined just because hours of failed CD burning effort.

I think i'm not going to buy any more CDJ if the 800s are broken....i have some interest in DVS but the setting up & connecting the laptop is another turn off...but then, i dont know..really..

How much new music do you accumulate that if you want to try and mix something new it takes hours to burn cds? If I am going to bring some new tunes the most it will take is an hour and that is if I am burning a bunch of CDs. One track per cd can take a bit...

And screw dvs systems, the only reason I want a laptop around my setup is for recording of mixes. In my mind dvs is a complete turnoff.

Ver Jaina
03-17-2012, 12:14 PM
How much new music do you accumulate that if you want to try and mix something new it takes hours to burn cds? If I am going to bring some new tunes the most it will take is an hour and that is if I am burning a bunch of CDs. One track per cd can take a bit...

And screw dvs systems, the only reason I want a laptop around my setup is for recording of mixes. In my mind dvs is a complete turnoff.
Not much...in fact i just have less than 20 new tracks fit into one CDR since December.
It is actually my cd burner/software that is problematic...every time i tried to burn a new CD it always failed with errors like 'illegal operation', 'burnout failed', 'buffer timeout' & something like that. it's a known problem for Matshita drive (unfortunately is installed in my laptop). Now i can burn data cd only (mp3) which is suck & unreliable to play on the cdjs.
In the end i waste a lot of blank cd & time just to do this.