PDA

View Full Version : Thread for South African DJ's

Quentin Legend
02-14-2012, 04:43 AM
DJF is FINALLY back online :)

We all have to re-register though.

Okay well since no-one has created this thread yet, I decided to do it.

------------------------------

This thread is specifically created for South African DJ's!! :)

Come say hi!

I'll start:

Hi my name is Quentin Grundlingh (DJ name: Quentin Legend) and I'm 17 years old.

I started doing parties early in 2011 and then moved on to some weddings, currently I'm in a "DJ Partnership" with one of my DJ friends and we should be doing weddings and other functions together in the next month or so.

I live in Bela-Bela (Limpopo) but we will be doing gigs in Pretoria/Johannesburg starting sometime in April :)

As a "Mobile DJ" we mostly play Top 40 at (most) parties but Dubstep has started to become increasingly popular.

I do prefer Electronic/Dance as a genre though.

--------------

So there's some info about me, share yours? :)

Quentin Legend

mantis
02-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I was born in SA, but dont live there anymore. Does that count?

Quentin Legend
02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I was born in SA, but dont live there anymore. Does that count?

Yes, ofcource.

Good to see your also back dude :)

Anyone can post, just thought the thread would make it easier for SA DJ's to find other SA DJ's on the forum.

Can you maybe remember who that other SA chick was who created this thread on the original DJF? (Dubchick or something, can't remember)

mantis
02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
yeash, shes on my fb. i will send her a link to this.

Quentin Legend
02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I posted on her wall earlier today, hopefully she re-registers.

Natasha Alexis
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Hey hey Boys!!!! I am back!

Missed you all?

So whats everybody been up 2?

Quentin Legend
03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Welcome back! :)

Doing 2 Diploma's this year (Marketing and Business Consultancy) and thinking of moving up to Durban with my DJ partner @ the end of the year.

Since the forums went down I've done my first big wedding in PTA :) was awesome!

What have you been up to?

bnr
03-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Howzit guys!

Good to see this thread's up and running again.

Well since the last time we spoke, I've qualified from university, started work and will finally be getting my first dj setup in the next month or so! Can't fuckin wait. The sad reality of our overpriced equipment in SA is kicking in though :(

Quentin Legend
03-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Howzit guys!

Good to see this thread's up and running again.

Well since the last time we spoke, I've qualified from university, started work and will finally be getting my first dj setup in the next month or so! Can't fuckin wait. The sad reality of our overpriced equipment in SA is kicking in though :(

Congrats on the achievement!! :)

What gear are you planning on buying?

All 4 of our 800W Hybrid speakers blew (after a few years of use) so now we've got 2x JBL EON 515XT's on the way :D (Link (http://bpmmag.co.za/tech-reviews/tech-review-jbl-eon-515xt-2/))

I see you live in Durban, hows the DJ'ing scene over there?

My DJ partner's father lives there and he's done gigs for bars and some clubs every December holiday for the last 3 years, I've done some research and looks like the competition for mobile DJ's are pretty hectic with guys like TheWeddingDJ.co.za around?

---------------
Quentin Legend
www.infinitysoundz.co.za

Natasha Alexis
03-12-2012, 02:38 AM
We were fortunate enough to play at the past H20s with names like Aly and Filla, Gareth Emery and Dash Berlin (Godskitchen) as well as Deadmau5:teef: These were 2 of the best H20s I have had the pleasure of going to and playing at.

Not sure if we gonna be on the line up for Avicii H20 coz another brand took over our floor :blank:

Other than that i am busy trying to get into Radio or into a Record label. Sent my CVs now just holding thumbs.

Quentin Legend
03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
We were fortunate enough to play at the past H20s with names like Aly and Filla, Gareth Emery and Dash Berlin (Godskitchen) as well as Deadmau5:teef: These were 2 of the best H20s I have had the pleasure of going to and playing at.

Not sure if we gonna be on the line up for Avicii H20 coz another brand took over our floor :blank:

Other than that i am busy trying to get into Radio or into a Record label. Sent my CVs now just holding thumbs.

Awesome!!

Any videos on YouTube of you DJ'ing? Would love to check it out :)

Getting into Radio? Good luck, would be awesome!

bnr
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Congrats on the achievement!! :)

What gear are you planning on buying?

All 4 of our 800W Hybrid speakers blew (after a few years of use) so now we've got 2x JBL EON 515XT's on the way :D (Link (http://bpmmag.co.za/tech-reviews/tech-review-jbl-eon-515xt-2/))

I see you live in Durban, hows the DJ'ing scene over there?

My DJ partner's father lives there and he's done gigs for bars and some clubs every December holiday for the last 3 years, I've done some research and looks like the competition for mobile DJ's are pretty hectic with guys like TheWeddingDJ.co.za around?

---------------
Quentin Legend
www.infinitysoundz.co.za

Im gonna get a ddj t1 to start out on and then upgrade to cdj 900s next year probably. I wanted to get cdjs straight away but i really don't have space for a big setup at the moment so im going the midi controller route for now.

Tbh i really dont know much about the mobile dj scene here in durban. I know a few djs but they arent really involved in the mobile scene.

bnr
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM

One day when you're fuckin huge im gonna be like 'i know that chick'

Natasha Alexis
03-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Just got the most awesome news!!!!

We are on the Line up for Avicii!!!! :music::dance:

Quentin Legend
03-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Just got the most awesome news!!!!

We are on the Line up for Avicii!!!! :music::dance:

Congrats!!! :)

Natasha Alexis
04-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Avicii was amazing... but i think all the tequilla and Spins helped :dance:

Because we played so early everyone bought us drinks and there is a 4 hour gap in my night lol

slemonster
04-24-2012, 07:08 AM
awe awe bra hoe lykit?

congrats on lineup in the avicii concert (avicii sucked in my opinion, but that was probably just me comparing him to mau5 from last year)
from capetown here, thought you were from blush 'n bass for a sec (2 girl DJ duo here, they also played for avicii)

Ztr1der
04-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Hey Hey! Glad the forum i sup n running again :-) good to see some south africans on the board aswell :-)
Natasha and geoff been killing joburg lately! I havent gotten any gigs yet but played in a few clubs back in the day :P

Quentin Legend
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forum you 2 :)

bnr
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Howzit ppl

Quentin Legend
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Been okay thanks and you?

Want to give my "DJ Partner" the finger and go on, on my own.

The guy is really starting to piss me off, I'll rather work with a close friend in a simple partnership than have to contend with my current "DJ Partner's" unprofessional shit.

bnr
07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
What did he do?

Quentin Legend
07-04-2012, 06:24 AM
What did he do?

He sucks, I've done a shitload of marketing (Promotion, Advertising, hyping the clients) and then he comes and does gigs unprofessionally.

Now he's giving me shit because the gigs have stopped coming in and he blames it on poor marketing, but no amount of marketing is going to sell a shitty service.

I personally feel like all the marketing has become false advertising because he just doesn't live up to the hype, it was all talk about "I don't have a playlist, I use VDJ" meanwhile he uses winamp with a normal playlist he takes 5 minutes to set up.

It's making me look bad and I've just about had enough.

mantis
07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
ill be visiting SA at the end of this month for a few days. Going to be in Johannesburg, if any of you want to hang out.
I will try to set up a gig or two, but i wont bring cds along.

Accretion
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Good to hear I'm not the only SAtopian on here. Howdy?

Quentin Legend
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Good to hear I'm not the only SAtopian on here. Howdy?

Welcome dude!