PDA

View Full Version : What Amp Set up do you think would Sound the best

ZippyDj
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3694715165759&set=a.3694714925753.2134905.1211708765&type=1&theater

Ok i really need Help with this as i have a gig on 29th sep
oK I HAVE
-x2 300 wat Skytek speakers
-x2 200 wat DbPro Speaker
- Gemini fan cooled stereo power amp p-601
- skytek pro 240 amplifier pro

Firstly i dont have a converter or EQ

Whatwould be the best setup you can recomend EG - Link x2 300 and 200 watt into the skytek . Or link all into the gemini 4 channel output. What one is going to sound the best and i am not going to damage my Speakers .

i also have a couple more options

Could i use a 1000 wat amp 500 each channel

Should i get a Converter or EQ with two outputs

Thanks zippy

windspeed36
09-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I would just rent a setup for the night. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Skytec is complete garbage. Their amplifier modules are dangerous and I have seen start fires. They also sound like crap and are less powerful than your average home theatre system.

ZippyDj
09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
lol that was unexpected because when i ran my two Dap Pro speakers of the skytek amp it sounded mint. From your answer you would recomend wiring the 4x speakers into the gemini then? i cant offord to rent a setup plus that would spoil the fun

ZippyDj
09-25-2012, 04:26 PM
im not even gonna bother tryin to use the 1000 wat because from common sense i just have a feelin my speakers would blow

jayhwk
09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
You should only use two speakers. Four won't necessarily be louder than two.

The amp is not a 1000W amp. Do you have a spec sheet for the amplifier? It may still blow the speakers, but that has more to do with the speakers being cheap and rated for too much power.

I agree - rent a couple a couple speakers for the night.

ZippyDj
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
OKay im waiting on a reply a bout the amp as im borrowing it if i really need,
Speakers are 8 ohms all 4
gemini gives out 80 watts at 8 ohms on 4 indavidual channel
Where as the skytek amp only puts out 4 ohms at 120 each channel so thats out the question wouldnt that be bad for my speaker anyway or reduce sound quality

What is so bad about my speakers that makes you say i should rent some .? its a private gig in a hall for my friends Birthday it should be fine i just need to find the right Amp i have alot of resources.

anyway i will be giving the gemini a test tomorow after work , BUt what would be your first thoughts on 80 wats on 4 indavidual channels at 4x speakers be, To me it looks like 80 wats is not enough ?

ZippyDj
09-25-2012, 05:42 PM
just lettin u know that i proberly wont know untill tomorow at four now.

fueledbymusic
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Your system will be FINE for what you are gonna use it for. Don't pay attention to what others say about it. The reason I say this. Is cause one reason. People don't care about how good your system is or not. And renting systems is a waste of money if you already have a system and its just a regular gig. You know. as long as its not like a major public event with 1000 people. As another said in the posts. I do agree that you could use just 2 speakers only. I don't know about the converter you are talking about, but an equalizer will in fact make your system sound better. It works for me. I been doing that forever! Very few people here uses equalizers though.

its a private gig in a hall for my friends Birthday it should be fine i just need to find the right Amp i have alot of resources.

jayhwk
09-26-2012, 06:03 PM
People don't care about how good your system is or not.

Then why bother DJing at all?

I go to music events to hear music. Key word being "hear". If I get ear fatigue from cheap high distortion loudspeakers, I'm going to leave and you as the DJ haven't done your job.

windspeed36
09-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Your system will be FINE for what you are gonna use it for. Don't pay attention to what others say about it. The reason I say this. Is cause one reason. People don't care about how good your system is or not. And renting systems is a waste of money if you already have a system and its just a regular gig. You know. as long as its not like a major public event with 1000 people. As another said in the posts. I do agree that you could use just 2 speakers only. I don't know about the converter you are talking about, but an equalizer will in fact make your system sound better. It works for me. I been doing that forever! Very few people here uses equalizers though.

There is going to be fine then there is they system does not work. Skytec is one of if not the worst company I've ever had the misfortune of hearing. The drivers handle barely any power, they use piezo tweeters for the HF in most of their cabs and their amplifiers are damn right dangerous. I have seen them start fires in amp racks and it's not pretty.

ZippyDj
09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Hey update on this, The set up sounds pristine now after tamping with the skytek tweeter as Air pressure from the speakers was pushing air into the tweeter and it was rattling just took it out and tightened the screws behind it and on the bracket, Other than that i have the four speaker on the gemini 500 at 80 wats per 4 channels. Thanks for your update on the skytek Amplifier, i dont want to be setting a fire now :) . ZippyDj.

ZippyDj
09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Cheers for your positive feedback. But i find it helpfull to know peoples true opinion on important information .
i have been told a converter is something you can use to link two amps that are different wattage together. but have not seen one with my own eyes yet.

ZippyDj
09-27-2012, 02:36 PM
The 1000 wat amp is a QTX 1000

ZippyDj
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
But he didnt say what make LOL just searched it up 1st thing that came up was a skytek Doh

ZippyDj
09-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Then why bother DJing at all?

I go to music events to hear music. Key word being "hear". If I get ear fatigue from cheap high distortion loudspeakers, I'm going to leave and you as the DJ haven't done your job.

Just because my skytek Are considered POOP dont mean you cant get them to sound good , Thats the hole point of being a dj. Most good djs could get a homestudio 5.1 sounding better than the biggest Amp and speakers on the planet being played by a begginer**. a dj should also be a sound technition unless there like rich and pay someone els to do it

SockoPro
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I am sure you can get them to sound good but at what sound level and is it sustainable for the entire gig?

Sent from Samsung Proclaim via Tapatalk

Al Poulin
09-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Renting a proper system is certainly a good suggestion, but if it's worth it also depends on the type of gig. For a birthday party, you might be able to get away with a cheap, sub par sounding and performing system - but if you are DJ'ing a wedding or anniversary, you really should invest in or rent a quality system that will do the job properly (not always be running close to its limits) and sound so good it might impress those looking for a DJ for another occasion. I seriously doubt a Skytec system can sound anywhere close to pristine, but to those who haven't actually ever used a real professional system from reputable manufacturers, then it might sound just fine. As for an equalizer, if you are using high quality playback music and high quality speakers - you really shouldn't need one. (live sound is a different matter) For music playback, the three band channel strip EQs should be fine for small corrections due to varying quality on certain older recordings. Those who need a lot of applied EQ and sonic maximizer type toys are usually the ones who bought cheap crappy speakers and need a band aid solution to make them sound close to decent. In the wrong hands, these devices will be dangerous to speakers and will reduce overall headroom if you are boosting the low frequencies.

Al

SockoPro
09-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I use 31 band EQs to flatten the system in different venues and I am using 8 JBL VRX932LA, 6 SRX 728s, and Crown Itechs with DSP.

Al Poulin
09-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I use 31 band EQs to flatten the system in different venues and I am using 8 JBL VRX932LA, 6 SRX 728s, and Crown Itechs with DSP.

There are certainly exceptions, WHY the ''usually'' figured in my sentence. Most of the time, with beginner DJs, the EQs and maximizers are used to try to compensate for the shortcomings of their cheap speakers was my point. ;) I've never found them necessary for playback music applications in small venues, which is mostly what I do. When it comes to live sound, and especially monitors and when you need to get maximum GBF, EQs certainly can help quite a bit.

Al

SockoPro
09-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I totally agree. If the speaker doesn't have the hardware to reproduce the signal accurately no amount of processing will fix it. P.S. I was just giving you a hard time Al.:P

djslik
10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
If money is a concern you could build some BFM speakers and subs or choose a couple of the sub designs from DIY Audio. I don't know much about your amps, but realize you should probably get a voltmeter and measure the actual voltage being produced by your system before clipping with something like a 50 or 60 Hz frequency. V=Squareroot((Power(W) x Resistance (ohms)). So for example my BFM sub is rated at 450W RMS so that means at 8 ohms my amp needs to produce 60V cleanly without clipping to get full power. I run a Crown XTi2000 and it handles that load fine. You should really look at your speakers and get the specs to calculate Voltage required at RMS power for the speaker. If your amp can run that power without clipping in the red then you should be fine. The problem is if you push your amps too hard to get that SPL level. Also do not run this test with the speaker hooked up or you can fry a speaker. If you do your part in setup you can at least minimize the risk of damage to your speaker and amps.