PDA

View Full Version : my first scratch vid in 5 years

syks
09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Well now ive picked up my turntables etc i thought i would do a quick vid :D im not great as only got around 5 months practice under my belt,anyhow enough of the excuses lol here it is,i know ive got a looooooong way to go but can you see potential???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juOpTODh-is&list=UUCSSpkcpQtmEyrbme53FD5w&index=1&feature=plcp

Thanks

Peace

syks
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEp9lGYUCi8&feature=plcp

Heres another i done today,i think its better but had the scratch volume way too low

syks
09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
that bad hu? lol

DJhalf
10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
keep working on them. Don't loss inspiration.

djslik
10-08-2012, 05:26 PM
You're not half bad for 5 months. You'll definitely improve with more time on the tables.

syks
10-10-2012, 11:45 AM
thanks for the encouragement (or however you spell it lol) im having a short break from scratching as im trying hard to get all my mixes to where i want them,im very rusty but ill be back practicing my scratching at some point :)

Peace

Sigma
10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
The second one is pretty good, but what's noticeably absent from your cuts is any manipulation of pitch when it comes to the sample. Make better use of that and it'll make your scratching sound less repetitive. Learn to chirp too!

frandomeda
10-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Sigma do you give lessons for scratching? I kinda want to learn :(

syks
10-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanks sigma,i know im not that great at scratching but im enjoying learning :) im learning to do chirps at the moment,quite a tricky little scratch to learn for me and its supposed to be one of the simplest lol

Peace

Sigma
10-16-2012, 09:07 AM
@frandomeda - Haha, I don't mate (although if you lived in the same town, sure). I think there's plenty of resources nowadays though. Read my beginner guide so you understand the basic scratches and watch tutorial vids on YouTube where guys are demonstrating those same scratches and you're away!

@syks - For 5 months you're doing just fine! Better than a lot of people at that stage.

DJAkash
10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I like the second, it was much better, you just need to keep expanding the types of scratches and get used to making certain sounds you will hear from change in pitch. don't stop, and you will keep going higher.